Background and activities
Educated in Pavia (Italy) and Groningen (the Netherlands) (PhD, 2009). Max Weber postdoc (2011-13) and senior researcher (2013-15) at the European University Institute, Florence, Italy.
Lecturer in KULT2207/08 – Paradoxes of gender equality in Norway and KULT2206 – Perspectives on gender. Lectures a module on gender and race biases hidden in machine-learning algorithms in KULT2201 – ICT and culture change.
GENDIM project research team member. Leader of Work Package 3 – Strategies and policies of university top-level government. GENDIM – Understanding gender imbalance among university professors received financing in 2019 by the Research Council of Norway.
Member of ELSA Norway, the network of ELSA (Ethical, Legal and Social Aspects of science and technology) and RRI (Responsible Research and Innovation) researchers in Norway, and of the Norwegian Association for Women's Rights.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) What's in a word? On the use of metaphors to describe the careers of women academics. Gender and Education.
- (2014) Adverse Psychological Effects to Deep Brain Stimulation: Overturning the Question. AJOB Neuroscience.
- (2012) Whose self-determination? Barriers to access to Emergency Hormonal Contraception in Italy. Kennedy Institute of Ethics journal (Print). vol. 23.
- (2011) Ethical and legal acceptability of the use of neuro-muscular blockers (NMBs) in connection with abstention decisions in Dutch NICUs: interviews with neonatologists. Journal of Medical Ethics. vol. 37.
- (2010) End-of-life decisions in Dutch neonatology. Medical Law Review.
- (2010) Management of conflicts with the parents over administration of life-prolonging treatment in two Dutch NICUs: interviews with neonatologists. Medicine and law : an international journal. vol. 29.
- (2010) Non-treatment decisions on grounds of ‘medical futility’ and definition of ‘quality of life’: interviews with 14 Dutch neonatologists. Issues in law & medicine. vol. 26.
- (2010) The Englaro case: withdrawal of treatment from a patient in a Permanent Vegetative State in Italy. Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics. vol. 19.
- (2010) The parents' ability to take care of their baby as a factor in decisions to withhold or withdraw life-prolonging treatment in two Dutch NICUs. Journal of Medical Ethics. vol. 36.
- (2010) Regulation of treatment of infants at the edge of viability in Italy: the role of the medical profession?. Journal of Medical Ethics. vol. 36.
- (2010) The Italian Ministry of Health recommends resuscitation for all pre-term infants irrespective of gestational age and parental consent. Archives of Disease in Childhood: Fetal and Neonatal Edition. vol. 95.
- (2009) The development of medical futility: towards a procedural approach based on the role of the medical profession. Journal of Medical Ethics. vol. 35.
- (2008) Il Protocollo di Groningen: conversazioni con Eduard Verhagen. Bioetica.
- (2016) Legal Insanity and the Brain. Bloomsbury Academic. 2016. ISBN 9781509902330.
Part of book/report
- (2015) Fertility control. Encyclopedia of Global Bioethics.
- (2012) Treatment Directives in the Netherlands: The Gap between Legal Regulation and Medical Practice. Self-Determination, Dignity and End-of-Life Care: Regulating Advance Directives in International and Comparative Perspective.
- (2008) End-of-life decisions in Italy. Euthanasia and Law in Europe.