Susanne Therese Hansen
Background and activities
Susanne Therese Hansen holds a PhD in political science from NTNU. She currently works as a postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Sociology and Political Science. Hansen has also worked at the European Studies Programme at the Department of Historical Studies, where she has taught courses on the EU and the EEA Agreement.
In her PhD, Hansen assessed the formation of and subsequent compliance with the EU's collaboration on conventional arms export control, a project that reflected her interests in international law and norms, compliance, foreign and security policy and the European Union. Her research interests are broad, and include but are not confined to the following topics: the formation, effectiveness and legitimacy of international law, institutions, norms and regimes; the language of treaties; the EEA Agreement and its various impacts on Norwegian society and politics; the international defence trade and its regulation; securitisation in knowledge transfer; the politics of renewable energy transitions; the methodology of risk assessment; and Norway's foreign policy.
Hansen embarked upon her postdoctoral position in June 2019. Here, she is working on a project on renewable energy transitions in Europe, on a project on international humanitarian law (IHL) in the arms trade, and on a project on securitization of knowledge transfer.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Taking ambiguity seriously: Explaining the indeterminacy of the European Union conventional arms export control regime. European Journal of International Relations. vol. 22 (1).
- (2014) Normative power and organized hypocrisy: European Union member states’ arms export to Libya. European Security. vol. 24 (2).
- (2013) International regime analyses in the northeast Atlantic. Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences. vol. 3 (2).
Part of book/report
- (2013) Barentssamarbeidet i norsk utenrikspolitikk. Kriseforebygging i nord. Utenrikspolitikk og norsk krisehåndtering.
- (2016) Ambiguous legalization. Assessing legalization and compliance in the European Union conventional arms export control regime. 2016. ISBN 978-82-326-1384-7.