Theodor S. Holstad
Background and activities
I am a PhD Candidate in the functional materials and materials chemistry (FACET) research group. In my project work I study the electronic properties of hexagonal manganites as a function of chemical doping with cations and oxygen. I am also investigating the ferroelectric domain structure in lead germanate and gadolinium molybdate. I primarily use Scanning Probe Microscopy (SPM) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM) as characterization tools.
Main advisor: Professor Dennis Gerhard Meier
Co-advisor: Professor Antonius T. J. van Helvoort
I started in the 5 year master's degree programme in nanotechnology at NTNU in 2011. During my third year, I chose to specialize in nanoelectronics. In my fourth year, I travelled to UC Berkeley on a Fulbright scholarship where I took graduate courses in physics, electrical engineering, and materials science. My master's thesis was submitted in June 2016 at the TEM Gemini Centre at the Department of Physics at NTNU. The topic of the thesis was to use TEM techniques to characterize ferroelectric thin film heterostructures synthesized by the Nanoelectronics and Photonics group at the Department of Electronic Systems.
- Holstad, T. S., Evans, D. M., Ruff, A., Småbråten, D. R., Schaab, J., Tzschaschel, Ch., Yan, Z., Bourret, E., Selbach, S. M., Krohns, S. & Meier, D. Electronic bulk and domain wall properties in B-site doped hexagonal ErMnO3. Phys. Rev. B 97, 085143 (2018).
- Mosberg, A. B., Roede, E. D., Evans, D. M., Holstad, T. S., Bourret, E., Yan, Z., Helvoort, A. T. J. & Meier, D. FIB lift-out of conducting ferroelectric domain walls in hexagonal manganites. Appl. Phys. Lett. 115, 122901 (2019).
Holstad, T. S., Evans, D. M., Ruff, A., Småbråten, D. R., Schaab, J., Tzschaschel, Ch., Yan, Z., Bourret, E., Selbach, S. M., Krohns, S. & Meier, D. Domain wall and bulk conductance in ErMnTiO3. German Physical Society (DPG) 2018, Berlin.
Holstad, T. S., Evans, D. M., Ruff, A., Småbråten, D. R., Schaab, J., Tzschaschel, Ch., Yan, Z., Bourret, E., Selbach, S. M., Krohns, S. & Meier, D. Electronic bulk and domain wall properties in B-site doped hexagonal ErMnO3. International Symposium on Applications of Ferroelectrics (ISAF) 2018, Hiroshima.
- Holstad, T. S., Ræder, T. M., Evans, D. M., Småbråten, D. R., Krohns, S., Schaab, J., Yan, Z., Bourret, E., van Helvoort, A. T. J., Grande, T., Selbach, S. M., Agar, J. C. & Meier, D. Deconvoluting conductance contributions at charged ferroelectric domain walls using machine learning. Materials Research Society (MRS) 2019, Boston.
I have teaching duties as a part of my PhD, and I am, or have been, a lab assistant in the course TMT4110 - General Chemistry.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Tuning functionality at the nanoscale. DPG2019 . DPG; Regensburg. 2019-03-30 - 2019-04-05.
- (2017) Electric-field control of local electronic conductivity in hexagonal manganites. Nordic Nanolab User Meeting . NTNU NanoLab; Trondheim. 2017-05-09 - 2017-05-10.
- (2015) Krystaller på atomnivå / Se innsiden av et elektronmikroskop. Researchers' Night . NTNU; 2015-09-25 - 2015-09-25.