Background and activities
Tommy Kleiven is a professor in architecture and teaches within the international master programme of Sustainable Architecture at NTNU Faulty of Architecture and Design. His main teaching and research interest is within sustainable architecture and neighbourhoods. He has a special interest in passive energy design where the architecture itself responds to the programme, site and climate to utilise passive strategies to help achieve zero emission and plus energy buildings and neighbourhoods. Kleiven has a background from research within the field of low energy architecture (8 years at SINTEF) where he led and participated in several national and international research projects. He has also worked as a consultant in the private industry (8 years) and led an architectural office (3 years at tegn_3 architects) were he was responsible for several low energy and plus energy buildings within the fields of education, health and housing.
- AAR6034 - Towards Carbon Neutral Buildings - Design of Zero Emission Building Sand Plus Energy Houses
- AAR4616 - Integrated Energy Design Project
- AAR4832 - Climate and Built Form
- AAR4833 - Concepts and Strategies in Sustainable Architecture
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Refurbishment of historic buildings at a district scale: Enhancement of cultural value and emission reduction potential. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES). vol. 352 (1).
- (2019) Building Bioclimatic Design in cold climate office buildings. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES). vol. 352 (1).
- (2014) Satser stort på ambisiøs oppgradering. Byggeindustrien. vol. 46 (1).
- (2014) Ambisiøs oppgradering i tre trinn. Byggeindustrien. vol. 46 (13).
- (2007) Smarte energieffektive bygninger. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2007. ISBN 9788251922371.
Part of book/report
- (2014) Retrofitting with prefabricated modules. Stakeholders' views and needs. World Sustainable Building 2014 Conference, 28-30 Oct., Barcelona.
- (2014) Deep renovation of single family houses in Norway. Mapping of the most ambitious projects and lessons learned in them. World Sustainable Building 2014 Conference, 28-30 Oct., Barcelona.
- (2005) Intelligent Building Envelopes - Fad or Future?. Proceeding of the 7th Symposium on Building Physics in the Nordic Countries. Volume 1.
- (2005) Double Facades at High Latitudes - Some User Experiences. Proceedings. Glass in Buildings 2.
- (2021) Development and demonstration of plus energy multi-storey apartment buildings in four climatic zones. 2021.
- (2014) Retrofitting multifamily buildings with prefabricated modules – RETROKIT : Stakeholder needs and views. 2014. ISBN 978-82-536-1413-7. SINTEF Fag (21).
- (2014) Energiplan - tre trinn for tre epoker : Systematisk energioppgradering av småhus - SEOPP. 2014. ISBN 978-82-536-1402-1. SINTEF Fag (25).
- (2005) Double facades at high latitudes. User experiences from Hamar Town hall. 2005. ISBN 8214035643. SINTEF Rapport (STF50 A05030).
- (2021) Solar Accessibility at Neighbourhood Scale: An Analysis to Assess the Impact of Densification in Nordic Built Environment. ISES Solar World Congress 2021 ; 2021-10-25 - 2021-10-29.
- (2019) Nullutslippsbygg og plusshus – hva skjer i Norden anno 2019?.
- (2019) Building Bioclimatic Design in cold climate office buildings. 1st Nordic Conference on Zero Emission and Plus Energy Buildings . NNTNU; Trondheim. 2019-11-06 - 2019-11-07.
- (2015) PERFORMANCE EVALUATION OF PASSIVE HOUSES – FIELD MEASUREMENTS, DATA ANALYSIS, AND OCCUPANT INTERVIEWS IN 6 NORWEGIAN DWELLINGS. Passivhus Norden 2015 ; 2015-08-20 - 2015-08-21.
- (2013) Gode energikonsepter for oppgradering av boligblokker. Universell utforming og miljøvennlig energibruk Tilfeldig rehabilitering eller planmessig oppgradering? . SINTEF Byggforsk, Energi og arkitektur; Trondheim. 2013-11-09.
- (2009) Urban PVTool – A tool for planners and architects. IEA PVPS TASK10 / PV-UP SCALE ; Rome. 2009-05-11 - 2009-05-13.
- (2007) Utnyttelse av termisk masse til klimatisering av bygninger. Norsk bygningsfysikkdag ; Oslo. 2007-11-28 - 2007-11-28.
- (2005) Intelligent Building Envelopes - Fad or Future?. Nordic Symposium on Building Physics ; Reykjavik. 2005-06-13 - 2005-06-15.
- (2004) Integrerte energiløsninger. Energikonferansen og faglærerkonferansen for enøk . Høgskolen i Agder; Grimstad. 2004-06-15 - 2004-06-16.
- (2004) Natural Ventilation in Buildings - Architectural Concepts, Consequences, and Possibilities. EuroSun2004 . ISES Europe; Freiburg. 2004-06-20 - 2004-06-23.