Background and activities
Tor Grande was appointed Vice Dean for Research at the Faculty of Natural Sciences on August 1, 2013.
He is a professor in materials chemstry/science at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, since 1997 and was associate professor at the Department of inorganic chemistry 1994-1997 (NTH/NTNU). He has been a visiting scientist at NIRIM(NIMS) in Japan and University of Rennes and been on sabbatical leave at Northwestern University and EPFL.
Tor Grande (born 1963) has an MSc in Chemistry from NTH (1987) and a PhD in Inorganic Chemistry from NTH (1992).
He is author/co-author of about 240 publications in international journals with referee, about 50 conference proceedings and he is a co-athour of a textbook on thermodynamics of materials. He has been the supervisor for 35 master students, 25 PhD candidates and 13 post docs.
- Solid state chemistry/materials of ferroic materials and solid state ionics.
- Materials synthesis by aqueous chemistry and ceramic processing
- Thermodynamics of materials.
- Phase transitions and phase diagrams.
- Cation transport in oxides
- Deputy Head, Dep. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2002 - 2005
- Department Head, Dep. Mater. Sci. Eng. 2005-2009
- Board member, NTNU NanoLab, 2004 - 2009
- Board member, The Norwegian Research Centre for Solar Cell Technology, 2009 - 2011
- Board member, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Engineering, NTNU, 2009 -2013
- Board member, CerPoTech AS, (chairman 2009-2017)
- Chairman of Electroceramics XII, Trondheim Norway, 2010.
- Board member, The VISTA foundation
- Member, The Committee for Gender Balance and Diversity in Research – Norway
- Board member, Research program BALANSE, Norwegian Research Council
- Board member, SINTEF
- Borad member iCSI - industrial Catalysis Science and Innovation
- Board member Digital Life Norway
- Norwegian Technical Science Research Council (NTNF), PhD scholarship, 1989 - 1992.
- Norwegian Technical Science Research Council (NTNF), Post doc scholarship, 1993.
- The Foundation of the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters, Science Award, 1995.
- Japan Science and Technology Agency fellowship, Japan, 1996.
- Elected member, The Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences, 1999.
- Elected member, The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters, 2005.
- The Gender Equality Award at NTNU, 2009.
- Elected member, The Norwegian Academy of Sciences and Letters, 2011.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Facile Low Temperature Hydrothermal Synthesis of BaTiO3 Nanoparticles Studied by In Situ X-ray Diffraction. Crystals. vol. 8.
- (2018) Influence of processing on stability, microstructure and thermoelectric properties of Ca3Co4-xO9+δ. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. vol. 38 (4).
- (2018) Formation of aluminium carbide in Hall-Héroult electrolysis cell environments. Light Metals. vol. 2018.
- (2018) Thermal evolution of the crystal structure and phase transitions of KNbO3. Royal Society Open Science. vol. 5.
- (2018) Rationalization of hydrothermal synthesis of NaNbO3 by rapid in situ time-resolved synchrotron X-ray diffraction. Crystal Growth & Design. vol. 18 (2).
- (2017) Investigation of Spent Refractory Lining in an Anode Baking Furnace. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series.
- (2017) Fabrication of Lead-Free Bi0.5Na0.5TiO3 Thin Films by Aqueous Chemical Solution Deposition. Materials. vol. 10 (2).
- (2017) Structure and Optical Properties of Titania-PDMS Hybrid Nanocomposites Prepared by In Situ Non-Aqueous Synthesis. Nanomaterials. vol. 7 (12).
- (2017) Controlling Oriented Attachment and in Situ Functionalization of TiO2 Nanoparticles During Hydrothermal Synthesis with APTES. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. vol. 121 (21).
- (2017) Functionalized TiO2 nanoparticles by single-step hydrothermal synthesis: the role of the silane coupling agents. Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology. vol. 8.
- (2017) Nonlinear mechanical behaviour of Ba0.5Sr0.5Co0.8Fe0.2O3 − δ and in situ stress dependent synchrotron X-ray diffraction study. Solid State Ionics. vol. 300.
- (2017) Progression of reduction of MoO3 observed in powders and solution-processed films. Thin Solid Films. vol. 626.
- (2017) Electronic properties of reduced molybdenum oxides. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 19 (13).
- (2017) Local Structure of Disordered Bi0.5K0.5TiO3 Investigated by Pair Distribution Function Analysis and First-Principles Calculations. Chemistry of Materials. vol. 29 (10).
- (2017) Chemical stability of thermal insulating materials in sodium vapour environment. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series.
- (2017) Role of Lone Pair Cations in Ferroelectric Tungsten Bronzes. Chemistry of Materials. vol. 29.
- (2017) Surface Diffusion of Oxygen Transport Membrane Materials Studied by Grain-Boundary Grooving. Journal of The American Ceramic Society. vol. 100 (1).
- (2017) Toughening of Y-doped BaZrO3 proton conducting electrolytes by hydration. Journal of Materials Chemistry A. vol. 5 (12).
- (2017) 134Ba diffusion in polycrystalline BaMO3 (M = Ti, Zr, Ce). AIP Advances. vol. 7 (11).
- (2017) Tracer diffusion of 96Zr and 134Ba in polycrystalline BaZrO3. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 19 (32).