Background and activities
Areas of speciality/Fields of responsibility
Research activities are mainly marine oriented. In fish chemistry the research is focused on protein and lipid chemistry related to fish processing and changes in fish quality.
Characterization of the properties of muscle proteins and enzymes is an important topic. Marine lipids is also an important field of research, especially focussed on the stability of lipids/ lipid oxidation. We study the influence of different parameters/factors that are important for fish quality, such as the effect of handling stress on fish quality. We also study the effect of different storage regimes on the quality of fish and marine products (freezing, thawing, superchilling etc.). Many different methods are being used, both physiochemical methods but also modern instrumental methods. Characterisation of marine by-products with regard to increased utilisation of this raw material is also an important field.
- TBT4125 Food Chemistry,
- BT3110 Aquatic food processing and technology,
- BT3119/BT8119 Food chemistry advanced,
- BT8117 Marine lipids
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Influence of high-pressure processing on quality attributes of haddock and mackerel minces during frozen storage, and fishcakes prepared thereof. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies. vol. 59.
- (2020) A new fluorimetric method for simultaneous determination of lipid and protein hydroperoxides in muscle foods with the use of diphenyl-1-pyrenylphosphine (DPPP). Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + Technologie.
- (2020) Use of Spectroscopic Techniques for a Rapid and Non-Destructive Monitoring of Thermal Treatments and Storage Time of Sous-Vide Cooked Cod Fillets. Sensors. vol. 20 (8).
- (2020) The value chain of the white fish industry in Norway: History, current status and possibilities for improvement – A review. Regional Studies in Marine Science. vol. 36:101293.
- (2020) Utilization of egg-laying hens (Gallus Gallus domesticus) for production of ingredients for human consumption and animal feed. BMC Biotechnology. vol. 20 (22).
- (2020) Reducing the High Iodine Content of Saccharina latissima and Improving the Profile of Other Valuable Compounds by Water Blanching. Foods. vol. 9 (5).
- (2020) Effect of antioxidants on the sensory quality and physicochemical stability of Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus) fillets during frozen storage. Food Chemistry.
- (2020) Potential of innovative pre-treatment technologies for the revalorisation of residual materials from the chicken industry through enzymatic hydrolysis. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies. vol. 64.
- (2019) Physiochemical and Microbiological Quality of Lightly Processed Salmon (Salmo salar L.) Stored Under Modiﬁed Atmosphere. Journal of Food Science. vol. 84 (12).
- (2019) Extraction, partial purification and characterization of alkaline protease from rainbow trout (Onchorhynchus Mykiss) viscera. Aquaculture. vol. 500.
- (2019) The Effect of Sous-vide Cooking Parameters, Chilled Storage and Antioxidants on Quality Characteristics of Atlantic Mackerel (Scomber Scombrus) in Relation to Structural Changes in Proteins. Food technology and biotechnology. vol. 57 (2).
- (2019) Superchilled, chilled and frozen storage of Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus) fillets – changes in texture, drip loss, protein solubility and oxidation. International journal of food science & technology. vol. 54 (6).
- (2019) Assessment of lipid oxidation in Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus)subjected to different antioxidant and sous-vide cooking treatments by conventional and fluorescence microscopy methods. Food Control. vol. 104.
- (2019) The Influence of Cooking Parameters and Chilled Storage Time on Quality of Sous-Vide Atlantic Mackerel (Scomber scombrus). Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology. vol. 28 (5).
- (2019) A novel fluorimetric assay for visualization and quantification of protein carbonyls in muscle foods. Food Chemistry. vol. 297.
- (2019) Relationship between lipid and protein oxidation in fish. Aquaculture Research. vol. 50 (5).
- (2019) Valorization of Rapeseed Meal: Influence of Ethanol Antinutrients Removal on Protein Extractability, Amino Acid Composition and Fractional Profile. Waste and Biomass Valorization.
- (2018) A non-invasive approach to assess texture changes in sous-vide cooked Atlantic mackerel during chilled storage by fl uorescence imaging. Food Control. vol. 92.
- (2018) Two-stage processing of salmon backbones to obtain high-quality oil and proteins. International journal of food science & technology. vol. 53 (10).
- (2018) The influence of lipid composition, storage temperature, and modified atmospheric gas combinations on the solubility of CO2 in a seafood model product. Journal of Food Engineering. vol. 216.