Background and activities
Areas of speciality/Fields of responsibility
Research activities are mainly marine oriented. In fish chemistry the research is focused on protein and lipid chemistry related to fish processing and changes in fish quality.
Characterization of the properties of muscle proteins and enzymes is an important topic. Marine lipids is also an important field of research, especially focussed on the stability of lipids/ lipid oxidation. We study the influence of different parameters/factors that are important for fish quality, such as the effect of handling stress on fish quality. We also study the effect of different storage regimes on the quality of fish and marine products (freezing, thawing, superchilling etc.). Many different methods are being used, both physiochemical methods but also modern instrumental methods. Characterisation of marine by-products with regard to increased utilisation of this raw material is also an important field. We also work with seaweed - how processing and storage affects the composition and properties.
- TBT4125 Food Chemistry,
- BT3110 Aquatic food processing and technology,
- BT3119/BT8119 Food chemistry advanced,
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Analysing multivariate storage data of seafood spreads. A case study based on combining split-plot design, principal component analysis and partial least squares predictions. Food Control.
- (2021) Sensory and physicochemical quality characteristics of Haddock fish cake enriched with atlantic mackerel. Food technology and biotechnology. vol. 59 (1).
- (2021) The combined effect of pulsed electric field treatment and brine salting on changes in the oxidative stability of lipids and proteins and color characteristics of sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax). Heliyon. vol. 7 (1).
- (2021) Study of the influence of pulsed electric field pre-treatment on quality parameters of sea bass during brine salting. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies. vol. 70.
- (2021) Ultrafiltration of Saithe (Pollachius virens) Protein Hydrolysates and Its Effect on Antioxidative Activity. Catalysts. vol. 11 (9).
- (2021) Induced oxidation and addition of antioxidant before enzymatic hydrolysisof heads of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)–effect on the resulting oiland protein fraction. Heliyon.
- (2021) Effect of rosemary on stabilization of proteins during frozen storage of mackerel (Scomber scombrus). Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology. vol. 30.
- (2021) Vitamin C from seaweed: A review assessing seaweed as contributor to daily intake. Foods. vol. 10 (1).
- (2021) Diversity and Antimicrobial Activity towards Listeria spp. and Escherichia coli among Lactic Acid Bacteria Isolated from Ready-to-Eat Seafood. Foods. vol. 10 (2).
- (2021) Effects of anatomical variation of muscle on composition and oxidation susceptibility of Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus). Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + Technologie. vol. 146.
- (2021) Combined effects of ultrasound, plasma-activated water, and peracetic acid on decontamination of mackerel fillets. Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + Technologie.
- (2020) Influence of high-pressure processing on quality attributes of haddock and mackerel minces during frozen storage, and fishcakes prepared thereof. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies. vol. 59.
- (2020) A new fluorimetric method for simultaneous determination of lipid and protein hydroperoxides in muscle foods with the use of diphenyl-1-pyrenylphosphine (DPPP). Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + Technologie. vol. 128.
- (2020) Use of spectroscopic techniques for a rapid and non-destructive monitoring of thermal treatments and storage time of sous-vide cooked cod fillets. Sensors. vol. 20 (8).
- (2020) Monitoring Thermal and Non-Thermal Treatments during Processing of Muscle Foods: A Comprehensive Review of Recent Technological Advances. Applied Sciences. vol. 10 (19).
- (2020) The value chain of the white fish industry in Norway: History, current status and possibilities for improvement – A review. Regional Studies in Marine Science. vol. 36.
- (2020) Utilization of egg-laying hens (Gallus Gallus domesticus) for production of ingredients for human consumption and animal feed. BMC Biotechnology. vol. 20 (22).
- (2020) Superchilled, chilled and frozen storage of Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus) – effect on lipids and low molecular weight metabolites. International Journal of Food Science & Technology.
- (2020) Reducing the High Iodine Content of Saccharina latissima and Improving the Profile of Other Valuable Compounds by Water Blanching. Foods. vol. 9 (5).
- (2020) Effect of Cold Plasma on Meat Cholesterol and Lipid Oxidation. Foods. vol. 9 (12).