Background and activities
Areas of speciality/Fields of responsibility
Research activities are mainly marine oriented. In fish chemistry the research is focused on protein and lipid chemistry related to fish processing and changes in fish quality.
Characterization of the properties of muscle proteins and enzymes is an important topic. Marine lipids is also an important field of research, especially focussed on the stability of lipids/ lipid oxidation. We study the influence of different parameters/factors that are important for fish quality, such as the effect of handling stress on fish quality. We also study the effect of different storage regimes on the quality of fish and marine products (freezing, thawing, superchilling etc.). Many different methods are being used, both physiochemical methods but also modern instrumental methods. Characterisation of marine by-products with regard to increased utilisation of this raw material is also an important field.
- TBT4125 Food Chemistry,
- BT3110 Aquatic food processing and technology,
- BT3119/BT8119 Food chemistry advanced,
- BT8117 Marine lipids
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Influence of high-pressure processing on quality attributes of haddock and mackerel minces during frozen storage, and fishcakes prepared thereof. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies. vol. 59.
- (2019) Physiochemical and Microbiological Quality of Lightly Processed Salmon (Salmo salar L.) Stored Under Modiﬁed Atmosphere. Journal of Food Science. vol. 84 (12).
- (2019) Extraction, partial purification and characterization of alkaline protease from rainbow trout (Onchorhynchus Mykiss) viscera. Aquaculture. vol. 500.
- (2019) The Effect of Sous-vide Cooking Parameters, Chilled Storage and Antioxidants on Quality Characteristics of Atlantic Mackerel (Scomber Scombrus) in Relation to Structural Changes in Proteins. Food technology and biotechnology. vol. 57 (2).
- (2019) Superchilled, chilled and frozen storage of Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus) fillets – changes in texture, drip loss, protein solubility and oxidation. International journal of food science & technology. vol. 54 (6).
- (2019) Assessment of lipid oxidation in Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus)subjected to different antioxidant and sous-vide cooking treatments by conventional and fluorescence microscopy methods. Food Control. vol. 104.
- (2019) The Influence of Cooking Parameters and Chilled Storage Time on Quality of Sous-Vide Atlantic Mackerel (Scomber scombrus). Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology. vol. 28 (5).
- (2019) A novel fluorimetric assay for visualization and quantification of protein carbonyls in muscle foods. Food Chemistry. vol. 297.
- (2019) Relationship between lipid and protein oxidation in fish. Aquaculture Research. vol. 50 (5).
- (2019) Valorization of Rapeseed Meal: Influence of Ethanol Antinutrients Removal on Protein Extractability, Amino Acid Composition and Fractional Profile. Waste and Biomass Valorization.
- (2018) The influence of lipid composition, storage temperature, and modified atmospheric gas combinations on the solubility of CO2 in a seafood model product. Journal of Food Engineering. vol. 216.
- (2018) Tuna viscera hydrolysate products prepared by different enzyme preparations improve the feed intake and growth of Asian seabass, Lates calcarifer, fed total fishmeal replacement diets. Songklanakarin Journal of Science and Technology. vol. 40 (1).
- (2018) A non-invasive approach to assess texture changes in sous-vide cooked Atlantic mackerel during chilled storage by fl uorescence imaging. Food Control. vol. 92.
- (2018) Foaming properties of acid-soluble protein-rich ingredient obtained from industrial rapeseed meal. Journal of food science and technology. vol. 55 (9).
- (2018) Biochemical changes in superchilled storage of salmon (Salmo salar) fillets. African Journal of Food Science. vol. 12 (7).
- (2018) Application of NMR Spectroscopy and Conventional Analytical Methods for the Assessment of Wastewater from Food Industry. Waste and Biomass Valorization.
- (2018) Two-stage processing of salmon backbones to obtain high-quality oil and proteins. International journal of food science & technology. vol. 53 (10).
- (2018) Quality of filleted Atlantic mackerel (Scomber Scombrus) during chilled and frozen storage: changes in lipids, vitamin D, proteins, and small metabolites, including biogenic amines. Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology. vol. 27 (3).
- (2018) Effects of drying on the nutrient content and physico-chemical and sensory characteristics of the edible kelp Saccharina latissima. Journal of Applied Phycology.
- (2017) Physiochemical, microstructure and bioactive characterization of gels made from crayfish protein. Food Hydrocolloids. vol. 63.