Background and activities
My research interests include the followings
- System reliability analysis with purposes of safety and resilience
- Product reliability engineering and warranty analysis
- Barrier theory, engineering approaches and management
- Prognostics and maintenance optimization
Methods, models and approaches in the above areas are expected to be applied in selected areas, including
- energy industries, including oil & gas and renewable energy
In terms of education, I am the director of 2-year International Master Program in RAMS (Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety). This program is very welcomed by industries and students. Some stories of RAMS graduates can be found here.
I give several master and PhD courses in the fields:
- TPK5165 - RAMS Engineering and Data Analytics. I am the coordinator and lecturer of the first year master course.
- TPK4120 - Safety and Reliability analysis. I give selected lectures for the first year master course (also as a K-emne course).
- TPK4450 - Data Driven Prognostics and Predictive Maintenance. I am responsible for the module of safety-critical systems, which includes 4-5 lectures.
- PK8201 - Systems Reliability. I am the coordinator of the PhD course that is run in the autumn of every even year.
- PK8224 - System Resilience and Dynamic Risk Analysis. I am the coordinator of the PhD course that is run in the autumn of every odd year.
In terms of researches related to the energy industries, I am currently affiliated with SFI SUBRPO center and IKT project AutoPRO.
In the field of healthcare, I am managing a GEMINI center - S3CARE (Smart, sustainable and safe healthcare), together with colleagues in NTNU EPT, SINTEF Energy and St. Olavs Hospital. I am also the chair of technical committee for the medical and healthcare industry under European Reliability and Safety Association.
I am very active in international collaborations, by leading several international collaboration projects with Japan, South Korea, China, Vietnam, Israel, and Algeria. I am also deeply participating in collaborations between Norway and France, Brazil, Italy, Tanzania, Australia, and USA. A new project led by me was just granted for networking with 8 South-Eastern Asian countries, including Myanmar, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippine, Cambodia and Singapore. Any students or colleagues who have interests in participating exchange, workshop or other activities, are welcome to contact me.
More information about my publication, supervised students, projects and other activities can be found in my CV.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Restoration of smart grids: Current status, challenges, and opportunities. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. vol. 143.
- (2021) Group maintenance optimization of subsea Xmas trees with stochastic dependency. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 209.
- (2021) Verification of the IEC 61508 PFH formula for 2oo3 configuration using Markov chains and Petri nets. International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management. vol. 38 (2).
- (2021) Operational time-series data modeling via LSTM network integrating principal component analysis based on human experience. Journal of manufacturing systems.
- (2021) Study of testing and maintenance strategies for redundant final element in SIS with imperfect detection of degraded state. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 209.
- (2020) Comparative Study of STPA and Bowtie Methods: Case of Hazard Identification for Pipeline Transportation. Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention. vol. 20.
- (2020) STPA and Bowtie risk analysis study for centralized and hierarchical control architectures comparison. Alexandria Engineering Journal. vol. 59 (5).
- (2020) Evaluation of IoT-enabled monitoring and electronic nose spoilage detection for salmon freshness during cold storage. Foods. vol. 9 (11).
- (2020) Safety barriers: Research advances and new thoughts on theory, engineering and management. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 67:104260.
- (2020) Reliability and condition-based maintenance modeling for systems operating under performance-based contracting. Computers & industrial engineering. vol. 142.
- (2020) Reliability and barrier assessment of series–parallel systems subject to cascading failures. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 234 (3).
- (2020) Optimization of maintenances following proof tests for the final element of a safety-instrumented system. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 196.
- (2019) Throughput-based importance measures of multistate production systems. International Journal of Production Research. vol. 57 (2).
- (2019) A hybrid heuristic optimization of maintenance routing and scheduling for offshore wind farms. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 62.
- (2019) Operation-oriented reliability and availability evaluation for onboard high-speed train control system with dynamic Bayesian network. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 233 (3).
- (2019) Dynamic risk assessment in healthcare based on Bayesian approach. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 189.
- (2019) Flexible alarming mechanism of a general GDS deployment for explosive accidents caused by gas leakage. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. vol. 132.
- (2019) Multi-phase reliability growth test planning for repairable products sold with a two-dimensional warranty. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 189.
- (2019) Preventive maintenance optimization for repairable products considering two-dimensional warranty and customer satisfaction. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 233 (4).
- (2019) Reliability modeling of subsea SISs partial testing subject to delayed restoration. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 191.