Background and activities
My research interests include the followings
- System analysis for reliability, safety and resilience
- Product reliability engineering and warranty analysis
- Barrier theory, engineering approaches and management
- Prognostics and maintenance optimization
Methods, models and approaches in the above areas are expected to be applied in selected areas, including
- energy industries, including oil & gas and renewable energy
- public sectors, including healthcare and transportation
I am working under the RAMS Group at MTP. In terms of education, I am the director of 2-year International Master Program in RAMS (Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety). This program is very welcomed by industries and students. Some stories of RAMS graduates can be found here.
In terms of researches related to the energy industries, I am currently affiliated with SFI SUBRPO center and IKT project AutoPRO.
In the field of healthcare, I am managing a GEMINI center - S3CARE (Smart, sustainable and safe healthcare), together with colleagues in NTNU EPT, SINTEF Energy and St. Olavs Hospital. I am also the chair of technical committee for the medical and healthcare industry under European Reliability and Safety Association.
I am very active in international collaborations, by leading several international collaboration projects with Japan, South Korea, China, Vietnam, Israel, and Algeria. I am also deeply participating in collaborations between Norway and France, Brazil, Italy, Tanzania, Australia, and USA. A new project led by me was just granted for safe and sustainable ocean, together with partners in 8 South-Eastern Asian countries, including Myanmar, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippine, Cambodia and Singapore. Another new project is about safety of hydrogen stations, with partners from Poland, Spain, Japan and Turkey. Any students or colleagues who have interests in participating exchange, workshop or other activities, are welcome to contact me.
I am serving as the editor-in-chief for International Journal of Safety and Reliability, which is based on subscription but also provides open-access options.
More information about my publication, supervised students, projects and other activities can be found in my CV. Here are two review papers where I am the solo author:
- Safety barriers: Research advances and new thoughts, which is Golden open access.
- Risk management in smart healthcare, with the full text here.
- TPK5115 - Risk Management in Projects
- TPK5165 - RAMS Engineering and Data Analytics
- TPK4550 - Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety, Specialization Project
- PK8224 - System Resilience and Dynamic Risk Analysis
- PK8201 - Safety-Critical System
- TPK4450 - Digitalized Solutions to Prognosis, Predictive Maintenance and Safety Analysis
- TPK4950 - Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, and Safety, Master's Thesis
- TPK4120 - Safety and Reliability Analysis
- TPK5170 - Design and Reliability Analysis of Digitalized Safety Systems
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Quantitative risk assessment methodology of installation process for deepwater oil and gas equipment. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 341.
- (2022) Risk management of smart healthcare systems: Delimitation, state-of-arts, process, and perspectives. Journal of Patient Safety and Risk Management. vol. 27 (3).
- (2022) A condition-based maintenance policy for multi-component systems subject to stochastic and economic dependencies. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 219.
- (2022) Hybrid Dynamic Bayesian network method for performance analysis of safety barriers considering multi-maintenance strategies. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence. vol. 109.
- (2022) Performance analysis of safety barriers against cascading failures in a battery pack. Cardiology in the elderly.
- (2022) Performance modeling for condition-based activation of the redundant safety system subject to harmful tests. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 226.
- (2022) Adaptive testing policy for multi-state systems with application to the degrading final elements in safety-instrumented systems. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 221.
- (2021) Distributed vs. hybrid control architecture using STPA and AHP - Application to an autonomous mobile multi-robot system. International Journal of Safety and Security Engineering (IJSSE). vol. 11 (1).
- (2021) Modeling for evaluation of safety instrumented systems with heterogeneous components. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 215.
- (2021) Restoration of smart grids: Current status, challenges, and opportunities. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. vol. 143.
- (2021) Group maintenance optimization of subsea Xmas trees with stochastic dependency. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 209.
- (2021) Risk information in decision-making: definitions, requirements and various functions. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 72.
- (2021) Optimal follow-up policies for monitoring chronic diseases based on virtual age. International Journal of Production Research.
- (2021) Verification of the IEC 61508 PFH formula for 2oo3 configuration using Markov chains and Petri nets. International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management. vol. 38 (2).
- (2021) Consistency Checking of the IEC 61508 PFH Formulas and New Formulas Proposal Based on the Markovian Approach. Journal Europeen des Systemes Automatises. vol. 54 (6).
- (2021) Bi-directional connectivity diagram for accident propagation analysis considering the interactions between multiple-process units. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 71.
- (2021) Performance analysis of safety instrumented systems against cascading failure during prolonged demand. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 216 (107975).
- (2021) Performance assessment of K-out-of-N safety instrumented systems subject to cascading failures. ISA transactions. vol. 118.
- (2021) Operational time-series data modeling via LSTM network integrating principal component analysis based on human experience. Journal of manufacturing systems. vol. 61.
- (2021) Study of testing and maintenance strategies for redundant final element in SIS with imperfect detection of degraded state. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 209.