Background and activities
Currently, I am a DNV-GL sponsored professor on marine structures at the Department of Marine Technology and Centre for Autonomous Marine Operations and Systems (AMOS), Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU).
I obtained my bachelor and MSc degrees in naval architecture and ocean engineering from Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) in 2000 and 2003, respectively. My MSc study mainly focused on numerical simulations of ship-ship and ship-bridge collisions. The thesis title is "Numerical Simulation of Ship Collision and Study on Crashworthiness of FPSO's Side Structures". My supervisor was Professor Yongning Gu.
In August 2003, I came to NTNU to do my PhD study on marine technology. On February 6, 2008, I successfully defended my PhD thesis with the title "Stochastic Response Analysis of Mooring Systems with Emphasis on Frequency-domain Analysis of Fatigue due to Wide-band Response Processes". My PhD supervisor was Professor Torgeir Moan.
From 2008 to 2015, I worked as a post-doc, reseacher and then adjunct associate professor in the Offshore Wind Energy Group led by Prof. Torgeir Moan, before I became a full professor in July 2015.
RESEARCH FIELDS AND INTERESTS
Offshore Renewable Energy: numerical and experimental study of offshore wind turbines (both bottom-fixed and floating), wave energy converters (oscillating bodies and overtopping devices) and combined concepts; numerical methods for coupled global dynamic response analysis of offshore wind turbines; hierarchical methods for local response analysis of wind turbine drivetrains; design and analysis of floating structures to support large-scale (5 MW and 10 MW) wind turbines; modeling and analysis of offshore wind turbines with geared drivetrain, direct drive and hydraulic transmission; mooring system design and analysis for offshore renewable energy platforms.
Marine Operation: operational and safety criteria for marine operations related to offshore wind turbine transport, installation and access for maintenance and repair; numerical modeling and time-domain simulation of marine operations involving transient dynamics and nonstationary system responses (such as crane operations for monopile or jacket foundation installation).
Structural Mechanics and Dynamics: dynamic analysis of offshore structures using finite element methods; coupled mooring analysis; fatigue assessment of offshore structures; numerical simulation of ship collision and grounding.
Stochastic Analysis: frequency-domain cycle counting method for fatigue analysis of wide-band processes; extreme value prediction and fatigue analysis of non-Gaussian processes; contour line method; stochastic modeling of random waves; short-term and long-term statistics of wind and wave conditions.
Reliability and Risk Analysis: uncertainty modeling and structural reliability assessment of offshore oil and gas platforms as well as renewable energy platforms; fatigue reliability methods applied to mechanical components (such as gearbox in wind turbines); fatigue reliability analysis of offshore wind turbine jacket foundations for inspection and maintenance planning; overload and fatigue reliability of mooring system; risk analysis of station-keeping system.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Hydrodynamic load modeling and analysis of a floating bridge in homogeneous wave conditions. Marine Structures. vol. 59.
- (2018) Wave load effect analysis of a floating bridge in a fjord considering inhomogeneous wave conditions. Engineering structures. vol. 163.
- (2018) Condition monitoring of spar‐type floating wind turbine drivetrain using statistical fault diagnosis. Wind Energy. vol. 21 (7).
- (2018) Dynamic response analysis of a catamaran installation vessel during the positioning of a wind turbine assembly onto a spar foundation. Marine Structures. vol. 61.
- (2017) A fully coupled method for numerical modeling and dynamic analysis of floating vertical axis wind turbines. Renewable Energy. vol. 107.
- (2017) Diagnostic monitoring of drivetrain in a 5 MW spar-type floating wind turbine using Hilbert spectral analysis. Energy Procedia. vol. 137.
- (2017) Numerical study of a novel procedure for installing the tower and Rotor Nacelle Assembly of offshore wind turbines based on the inverted pendulum principle. Journal of Marine Science and Application. vol. 16 (3).
- (2017) Modified environmental contour method to determine the long-term extreme responses of a semi-submersible wind turbine. Ocean Engineering. vol. 142.
- (2017) Experimental validation of a time-domain approach for determining sectional loads in a floating wind turbine hull subjected to moderate waves. Energy Procedia. vol. 137.
- (2017) Development and verification of a time-domain approach for determining forces and moments in structural components of floaters with an application to floating wind turbines. Marine Structures. vol. 51.
- (2017) Numerical assessment of wind turbine blade damage due to contact/impact with tower during installation. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. vol. 276.
- (2017) A combined wind and wave energy-converter concept in survival mode: Numerical and experimental study in regular waves with a focus on water entry and exit. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 63.
- (2016) Response analysis and comparison of a spar-type floating offshore wind turbine and an onshore wind turbine under blade pitch controller faults. Wind Energy. vol. 19 (1).
- (2016) Comparative Numerical and Experimental Study of two Combined Wind and Wave Energy Concepts. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Science. vol. 1 (1).
- (2016) Statistical fault diagnosis of wind turbine drivetrain applied to a 5MW floating wind turbine. Journal of Physics: Conference Series. vol. 753.
- (2016) Methodology for assessment of the operational limits and operability of marine operations. Ocean Engineering. vol. 125.
- (2016) Assessment of Allowable Sea States During Installation of OWT Monopiles with Shallow Penetration in the Seabed. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 138 (4).
- (2016) Modified environmental contour method for predicting long-term extreme responses of bottom-fixed offshore wind turbines. Marine Structures. vol. 48.
- (2016) Experimental and numerical study of the response of the offshore combined wind/wave energy concept SFC in extreme environmental conditions. Marine Structures. vol. 50.
- (2016) Experimental study of the functionality of a semisubmersible wind turbine combined with flap-type Wave Energy Converters. Renewable Energy. vol. 93.
- (2016) Development of a 5 MW reference gearbox for offshore wind turbines. Wind Energy. vol. 19 (6).
- (2016) Numerical study of ice-induced loads and responses of a monopile-type offshore wind turbine in parked and operating conditions. Cold Regions Science and Technology. vol. 123.
- (2016) Comparative experimental study of the survivability of a combined wind and wave energy converter in two testing facilities. Ocean Engineering. vol. 111.
- (2015) A comparative study of shutdown procedures on the dynamic responses of wind turbines. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 137 (1).
- (2015) Joint Distribution of Environmental Condition at Five European Offshore Sites for Design of Combined Wind and Wave Energy Devices. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 137 (3).
- (2015) Stochastic dynamic load effect and fatigue damage analysis of drivetrains in land-based and TLP, spar and semi-submersible floating wind turbines. Marine Structures. vol. 42.
- (2014) Analysis of lifting operation of a monopile for an offshore wind turbine considering vessel shielding effects. Marine Structures. vol. 39.
- (2014) On long-term fatigue damage and reliability analysis of gears under wind loads in offshore wind turbine drivetrains. International Journal of Fatigue. vol. 61.
- (2014) Short-term extreme response analysis of a jacket supporting an offshore wind turbine. Wind Energy. vol. 17 (1).
- (2014) A 5MW direct-drive generator for floating spar-buoy wind turbine: Development and analysis of a fully coupled mechanical model. Proceedings of the Institution of mechanical engineers. Part A, journal of power and energy. vol. 228 (7).
- (2013) Time domain-based gear contact fatigue analysis of a wind turbine drivetrain under dynamic conditions. International Journal of Fatigue. vol. 48.
- (2013) Application of the Contour Line Method for Estimating Extreme Responses in the Mooring Lines of a Two-Body Floating Wave Energy Converter. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 135 (3).
- (2013) Analysis of a Two-Body Floating Wave Energy Converter with Particular Focus on the Effects of Power Take-Off and Mooring Systems on Energy Capture. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 135 (3).
- (2012) Fatigue Reliability Analysis of the Jacket Support Structure for Offshore Wind Turbine Considering the Effect of Corrosion and Inspection. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 106.
- (2011) Long-term Fatigue Analysis of Multi-Planar Tubular Joints for Jacket-type Offshore Wind Turbine in Time Domain. Engineering structures. vol. 33 (6).
- (2008) Frequency-domain fatigue analysis of wide-band stationary Gaussian processes using a trimodal spectral formulation. International Journal of Fatigue. vol. 30 (10 - 11).
- (2007) Fatigue damage induced by non-Gaussian bimodal wave loading in mooring lines. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 29 (1-2).
- (2005) Uncertainty of wave-induced response of marine structures due to long-term variation of extratropical wave conditions. Marine Structures. vol. 18 (4).
- (2008) Stochastic Response Analysis of Mooring Systems with Emphasis on Frequency-domain Analysis of Fatigue due to Wide-band Response Processes. 2008. ISBN 9788247159835. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (2008:11).