Research and teaching in geosciences and petroleum require different laboratories for the processing and analysis of materials that can have very different properties. In addition, computer labs and associated infrastructure are required to process and visualize various types of seismic-, reservoir- and well-data. The department has good agreements with the leading software providers.
The department laboratories include several units, for teaching/student work and for the department's own research projects. The laboratories also take on projects for other departments and external customers. Some of our laboratories are organized and operated in cooperation with SINTEF. The laboratories are located in two places, the Berg-building and PTS.
Laboratories at IGP
- Chemical/Mineralogical Laboratory
- Petrographic- and Ore Microscopy Laboratory
- Electron microscopy (EM) Laboratory
- Mineral processing Laboratory
- Thin Section Laboratory
- Geological Engineering Laboratory
- Rock Mechanics Laboratory
- Rock Magnetic Laboratory