The world wide increasing trend and interest in the Arctic Sea requires sound design concepts and regulations to cope with the distinct regional challenges in order to make northern transport feasible. Therefore, I am developing a holistic design environment for ships operating in Arctic conditions and thereby assess the vessels´ performance and strength operating in ice, which can further be used to assess and minimize the operational risk as well as the environmental and global cost.
- Fluid-Ice-Structure Interaction suitable for optimization
- New materials and structures
- Methods to assess the environmental impact and cost of Arctic Sea transportation
- Design methods for Arctic Sea transport systems
- Sustainable and competitive concepts
- Innovative solutions for operations in Arctic conditions
- Active and passive safety features
- Design requirements to fulfill the demands for the northern passages in the future
Within both research areas I would like to develop a close industrial cooperation to support innovative products with state of the art research results. Additionally, direct feedback from industrial partners working in the Arctic Sea region will be highly appreciated to strengthen the overall competitiveness through innovative strategies and designs.
Professor, D.Sc. (Tech.)
Department of Marine Technology
Marinteknisk senter, room E2.232
Otto Nielsens veg 10, 7491 Trondheim