Course - Information security - IDATA2501
IDATA2501 - Information security
Examination arrangement: Portfolio
Grade: Letter grades
|Evaluation||Weighting||Duration||Grade deviation||Examination aids|
The foundation for information security
- Integrity, confidentiality and availability
Techological considerations regarding information security
- Storage and use of digital information
- Firewalls, backdoors, viruses, security breaches in applications
- Security requirements to the systems
- Risk management
- Single point of failure, backup, physical safety measure
- Problems addressing wireless
- Cryptography and certificates
Organizational problems regarding information security:
- Identify the human factor
- Managements responsibilities for information security
- Risk management and information assets management
- Increase knowlegde regarding information security
- The conflict between security and user friendly systems
Importance of anchoring security work in the entire organization: standards, laws and regulations.
- understand the meaning of information security
- know and understand the key concepts within the area
- have a good understanding of the value of information and information systems in sustainable organizations (B)
- know current threats to information security
- have a good knowlede og the laws and regulations of the area
- be familiar with recognized methods and standards for improved information security
- have knowledge of relevant technical and organizational means to improve information security
- do a risk analysis for an hypotetical organization (case) (I)
- recommend appropriate and effective measures to improve information security
- prepare a contingency plan for a hypotetical business (case)
- establish adequate security in restricted operating environment (lab)
- be able to update their knowledge about information security
- communicate their knowledge of information security also to persons without ICT background
- be able to communicate on the subject with an organization's stratecic management
Learning methods and activities
Teaching methods: Lectures, casestudies and assignments
Mandatory work requirements: All mandatory casestudies/assignments and the termpaper are to be delivered in time to get an assessment.
Mandatory activities: 3-5 mandatory assignments. All the mandatory assignments have to be approved in order to get access to the exam, and they are part o the portfolio.
- Mandatory assignments
Further on evaluation
The portfolio consists of a predefined number of case studies/assignments and a term paper/project. The portfolio contains assignments that are carried out, digitally documented and submitted during the term. Both individual and team assignments may be given. Assignments are designed to help students achieve specific course learning outcomes, and formative feedback is given during the period of the portfolio. The assessment is an overall evaluation of the portfolio. Candidates may be called to an additional oral examination.
Recommended previous knowledge
Learning outcomes from the first two years of computer science study (BIDATA)
- Principles of Information Security (6th ed) Course Technology-Cengage Learning, 2018, ISBN-13 9781337102063. Michael E. Whitman and Herbert J. Mattord.
- Håndbok i datasikkerhet - informasjonsteknologi og risikostyring (4. utgave) Tapir Akademisk Forlag, 2019, ISBN 978-82-4502789-1.Torgeir Daler, Roar Gulbrandsen, Tore Audun Høie og Torbjørn Sjølstad.
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Third-year courses, level III
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: AUTUMN 2022
Language of instruction: English, Norwegian
- Information Security
Examination arrangement: Portfolio
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"