LMUS001E - Music 1 Instruction and conducting (1-7)
Examination arrangement: Practical training
|Evaluation form||Weighting||Duration||Examination aids||Grade deviation|
The course consist of the following main components: Introduction to the performing, listening and creative activities, introduction to the different disciplines of music and to the subject of music in the school- curriculum, grade 1-7 grade in the Norwegian Primary school.
The didactic aspect of the study is focusing on the teacher´s pedagogical work in pupil´s learning.
· has knowledge in the characteristic musical learning strategies and the characteristic aspects of artistic, esthetical and musical activities, i.e. in the process of rehearsing and performing. He/she has knowledge in the psychological and cultural influences on the children´s musical development, forms of expressions, creativity and identity.
· has knowledge in the role of the music teacher as a leader and pedagogical organizer in music teaching in the 1-7 grade.
· can play and dance and be in command of a selection of traditional and modern musical games and contemporary dances and from other cultures to be used in music teaching in 1-7 grade.
· can sing and use his/her voice in a varied, engaging and sustainable way. The students can express themselves musically and meaningfully on their own main instrument, accompany songs on piano, guitar or on other chord-instruments. They can lead and instruct singing-, playing- and dance activities with fellow students and pupils in 1-7 grade.
· has practical skills in the basis of oral and written communication in music and competence in developing such skills in the pupils.
· can initiate
· apply in their future role as a teacher, a professional approach to the use of music as a main- and supplementary component in projects where other subjects are integrated
· can reflect on the connection between aims and contents in the subject of music and in other fields of subjects as well as the whole curriculum of 1-7 grade
· has a professional insight and skills when discussing the role of music as a factor in the creation of identity, as a medium and means of communication and cultural expressions in the every-day life in school and in a multicultural society
· can use qualitative methods of research such as observation and action-based research and interview in their school practice
· has knowledge in and takes part in the evaluation of his/her own work and of his/her fellow students´ work
· has knowledge and experience from final evaluation processes
Learning methods and activities
The course lasts one semester. The course has the following main components: An introduction to the performing of music and creative activity, introduction to the subject of music, introduction to the different musical disciplines and introduction to the school subject of music according to the National Curriculum of 1-7 grade. Presentations and demonstration of teaching units with didactic reflections are relevant methods used in the course.
The student will use his/her competence and experience from the study to develope teaching units to be piloted in his school practice. The course is aiming at creating a process- oriented type of teaching and student - active working methods with music and creativity and practical and written obligatory assignments.
The teaching methods will shift between group-sessions, lectures, group work and music making. The students will take part in a learning process focusing on musical production, musical interpretation and transmittance of knowledge, competences and general competences in music. This will imply a substantial part of individual activities. The student will be guided in parts of his work both individually and in groups.
The students will be divided in school practice groups mentored by a practice teacher according to the faculty´s current plan of school practice.
- Obligatory work
Further on evaluation
Obligatory participation / course work:
· activities based on corporation, i.e. band playing, choir instruction and conducting
· group discussions and reflections, written and oral
· planning and summing up of school practice
· one excursion
· study evaluation
· a prepared repertoire of band and choir activities in instruction and conducting
· One written assignment on music
More detailed information about the course, time schedule and deadlines of obligatory assignments and participation will be given in the semester plan.
Obligatory coursework will be evaluated as approved/not approved.
Exams and grades:
The grade will be set on the basis of
· Instruction and conducting band and choir
Exam registration requires that class registration is approved in the same semester. Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Social Sciences (EMNE/SV)
Teacher education for primary and lower secondary school grades 1-7 (LTGLU1-7)
Teacher education for primary and lower secondary school grades 5-10 (LTGLU5-10)
The reading list will be posted on Blackboard prior to semester start.
Examination arrangement: Practical training
|Term||Statuskode||Evaluation form||Weighting||Examination aids||Date||Time||Room *|
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date.