Learning outcome - Master of Science (MSc) in Electronic Systems Design 2-years – Trondheim
Electronic Systems Design
Electronic Systems Design
Candidates from the program Electronic Systems Design will be technological problem solvers with relevance to important social challenges. This means that they have the technology- and methodological expertise, and insight into selected current application areas and how electronic solutions are included in these applications.
The technology expertise contains fundamental principles of electromagnetism, optics and acoustics via electronic component and circuit technology to a higher level of abstraction for system based on software combined with analog and digital electronics. Methodological skills involve the analysis and design of analog and digital information and signal processing systems. Candidates should have insight into the application areas defined by the fields in which the involved research groups are engaged in.
Candidates should have a broad and solid foundation for lifelong learning in electronic system design, a field in rapid development.
Goals for knowledge, skills and competence after completing the program
The candidate has
- Solid specialized knowledge as a basis for methodological understanding, scientific innovation and development in electronics and related applications.
- In-depth theoretical and practical knowledge within one of the following specializations:
- Embedded Systems: The candidate has in-depth knowledge of specifying and designing digital system with integrated processor. The candidate has a good knowledge of distributing the design to hardware and software and has in-depth knowledge of high-level languages for the design and programming of such systems. Typical applications are energy-efficient system for high-speed data processing, battery management, pressure sensitive sensors and advanced wireless communication.
- Design of Digital Circuits: The candidate has in-depth knowledge of the design, implementation, and testing of digital integrated circuits and systems. Typical applications include microcontrollers / microprocessors, microsystems and embedded systems.
- Analog Circuit Design and Radio Systems: The candidate has in-depth knowledge of the design, implementation, and testing of analog integrated circuits and systems, including antennas and RF / microwave circuits and systems. Typical applications include ADC, DAC, low power electronics, radio systems, medical technology, ICT, environmental monitoring, space technology, remote sensing, navigation and more.
- Signal Processing and Communications: The candidate has advanced knowledge of signal processing theory and algorithms, information and communication theory and radio technology. Applications include measurement, processing and transmission of signals in telecommunications, audio and video processing, medical technology, remote sensing, navigation, space technology.
- Acoustics: The candidate has advanced knowledge of acoustics including perception of sound. Applications include measurement, processing of acoustic signals, environmental monitoring, remote sensing, noise control, underwater acoustics, industrial acoustic use and musical acoustics.
- Nanoelectronics and Photonics: The candidate has in-depth theoretical insight into electronic, dielectric, magnetic, optical and acoustic phenomena and material properties, including quantum phenomena and physical properties of materials and nanostructures. Typical applications involve utilization of such phenomena and material properties for innovation and component development, integrated circuits, microsystems, sensors, optical technology for applications in ICT, environmental monitoring, medical technology, etc.
- Smart Sensor Systems: The candidate has in-depth knowledge in smart sensor systems, sensor technology, designing and building optimized sensor systems, scientific theory, methods and tools used in the development of electronic sensor.
- Knowledge of the current research and development tasks within the leading industry within their specialization and have insight to apply new research results.
- The ability to make innovative contributions to new knowledge in electronics and related applications.
- Insight into technology management and one or more of the disciplines of economics, industrial ecology, environmental risk, health, environment and safety, as a basis for being able to participate in and lead projects and other industrial electronic activities in an efficient, economical and socially responsible manner.
- Insight into the history of science, philosophy of science, ethics and argumentation theory as a basis for reflection upon their field of study and in science in general.
- Can apply his or her knowledge in an independent and systematic manner by analysing issues, formulating sub-tasks, selecting relevant methods and producing innovative solutions, also in new and unknown situations.
- Can perform feasibility studies, be able to identify technological limitations and be able to work in interdisciplinary groups.
- Master current tools such as simulation software and instrumentation within their area of specialization.
- Can follow the development of knowledge within his / her own field of expertise, be able to write research articles within his / her specialization and develop his / her academic expertise on his / her own initiative.
- Can carry out an independent, limited research or development project under supervision and in line with norms of research ethics.
- Can communicate knowledge within his / her field of study in writing and orally to different audience groups in a well-structured, clear and objective manner.
- Can reflect on ethical and societal effects of one's own work.
- Can work in multidisciplinary groups with high complexity tasks: plan projects, delegate and coordinate tasks, and help the group achieve results.
- Has an international perspective on his profession and ability to participate in international projects and international academic networks.
- Have a basic insight in activities that create added value as a part of the innovation processes and entrepreneurship.
- Has a broad and solid foundation for lifelong learning within electronic system design.