6. Marine System Design
Marine Systems Design involves the developing of systems, composed of multiple elements, meeting end-user's requirements. The aim of this direction, is to give students theoretical knowledge, practical project planning and logistics skills. The focus is primarily on the following application areas:
- Planning and logistics of ships and maritime installations, including sea transport and logistic systems
- Planning and logistics of fishing and aquaculture vessels and coastal industry
- Planning and logistics of sub-sea systems
Keywords: Deciding main dimensions for ships, work out plans for maintenance and operation, operation analysis, logistics and quality management, fleet administration.
Learning knowledge and skills of Marine Systems Design
The specialization Marine Systems Design shall provide the students with knowledge and competence for the design and realization of complex, innovative marine systems, such as ships, marine transportation systems, offshore platforms, offshore logistics and systems for offshore energy production.
The students shall be able to:
• Perform a technical analysis of relevant marine systems, such as stability and hydrostatics, resistance and propulsion, reliability and availability
• For a vessel or fleet, analyze the economic, environmental, risk and safety related performance in a life cycle perspective
• Design and verify systems to be operated in harsh marine environments, with a particular focus on Arctic conditions.
• Use methods from operations research and risk analysis for optimization, simulation and decision support.
• Apply a holistic perspective on the development and realization of marine systems, based on methods from design theory and systems engineering.
Marine system design students shall be able to:
• Develop holistic, complex innovative systems solutions both individually and as part of teams
• Apply relevant ICT tools for computer aided design, technical analyses, optimization, simulation and risk and safety analysis.
• Verify design solutions with respect to regulations and requirements from trade, customers and society as such.
• Efficiently present and communicate the final design solutions and corresponding documentation.
• As for the study program