Norwegian Neuroscience Society - NNS - Mission and goals
Mission and goals
Mission and goals
The aim of the Norwegian Neuroscience Society is to stimulate progress in neuroscience through representation of all related disciplines and practices in Norway, facilitate neuroscience research and education, and make information about neuroscience research and applications available to the general population.
Our main goals
- Promoting the study and understanding of the development, structure, and function of the nervous system in health and disease;
- Encouraging and facilitating multidisciplinary communication and collaboration in basic, applied, and translational neuroscience;
- Formally representing the neurosciences in Norway at the Federation of European Neuroscience Societies (FENS) and other relevant regional and international fora, including a Nordic neuroscience meeting to be organized every odd year;
- Promoting the dissemination of knowledge to those interested in neuroscience and related disciplines as well as to the general public through appropriate channels;
- Assisting in the training of neuroscientists and other professionals engaged in neuroscience teaching and research;
- Representing the interests of neuroscientists in Norway vis-à-vis appropriate Norwegian institutions, including legislators, policymakers, the press, and funding agencies engaged in supporting and promoting neuroscience research and education.
Stipends available for NENS Courses
Current approaches in neurological disorder research: from animal models to human brain on the chip
4-8 December 2023, Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology, Warsaw, Poland
Application deadline: 15 October 2023
Are you a Master's or PhD neuroscience student based in Europe? FENS and IBRO-PERC offer stipends of EUR 750 for students interested in attending this course outside their country of residence.
Prizes & Awards
FENS and partner organisations honour the research and careers of outstanding neuroscientists and their commitment to excellence in brain research. Nominations are invited for the following awards and prizes:
The Brain Prize, in recognition of outstanding contributions in any area of neuroscience.
Nomination deadline: 1 September 2023
2024 ALBA-Elsevier Award Lecture, in recognition of outstanding research achievements of an active scientist working at the frontiers of brain research.
Nomination deadline: 20 October 2023
the 4th Nordic Neuroscience Meeting taking place in Copenhagen, January 15th-17th 2024!
Please see attached flyer for the Call for Symposium Proposals as well as more information.
Information can also be found following the link:
Organised with the support of IBRO, this event is conceived by the ALBA Network and the IBRO Early Career Committee to facilitate a wide-ranging discussion of what neuroscientists can do as a community to build research capacity in the Global South and how this increase for innovation can bring benefits to all. Our panellists will share some compelling experiences and success stories. They come from four continents and have met challenges as varied as their backgrounds.
Information on the ALBA Website.
NNS is a proud signatory of the #ALBADeclaration on Equity and Inclusion.
The Declaration represents our commitment to make science more inclusive. Sign the Declaration at www.alba.network/declaration
Open letter on the Future of Research in Europe made a difference
Thanks to all supporters of the open letter on #futureofresearch. 27th November 2019, the Von der Leyen commision revealed the definitive title for commisioner Mariya Gabriel, which now explicitly mentions research, education and culture. For more information visit https://www.futureofresearch.eu/
Launch of the ALBA Network
Recently founded by a group of international leading scientists, the ALBA Network aims to promote equality and diversity in brain sciences. Professor Carmen Sandi, FENS President and Chair of the ALBA Steering Committee, would like to encourage all brain scientists to join the Network. For more information, please visit the ALBA Network website: www.alba.network
Available jobs within neuroscience are posted at Jobbnorge.no