The Lars Onsager Lecture and Professorship
Lars Onsager (1903–1976)
Lars Onsager was a Norwegian-American chemist and physicist. Onsager was born in Oslo. He held a Ch.E. degree (1925) from NTH (Norwegian Institute of Technology, later NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology).
Onsager migrated to the USA in 1928, and became an American citizen in 1945. Onsager was a J. Willard Gibbs Professor at Yale University.
Onsager was awarded the The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1968 for his work done in 1931 on irreversible thermodynamics.
Lars Onsager Lecture 2018
The next Lars Onsager Lecture:
Professor Yves Meyer, Professor Emeritus at École Normale Supérieure Paris-Saclay, will present the Lars Onsager Lecture 2018:
- Title: Irregular sampling of signals and images
– a breakthrough in signal processing
- Time: 14 February 2018 at 13:15-14:30
- Place: Lecture room S2 in Sentralbyggene at Gløshaugen, NTNU
Professor Meyer received in 2017 the Abel Prize in mathematics for his pivotal role in the development of the mathematical theory of wavelets.
For further information, please contact Professor Helge Holden, NTNU.
Lars Onsager Professorship 2018
Present Lars Onsager Professor:
The Lars Onsager Professorship for 2018 has been awarded to Professor Eero Saksman, Professor of Mathematics, University of Helsinki, Finland.
The Lars Onsager Archive
Thanks to the generosity of Lars Onsager's sons and daughter, the Norwegian University of Science and Technology has established a Lars Onsager Archive.
The Lars Onsager Archive is located at the Dora Library (a repository library for the NTNU University Library) and the Gunnerus Library (the Special Collections of the NTNU University Library) in Trondheim, Norway.
A substantial part of the archive has now been made freely available in digital form:
A general reference to the scientific works of Lars Onsager is:
- The Collected Works of Lars Onsager (with commentary)
P.C. Hemmer, H. Holden, S.K. Ratkje, editors
World Scientific, Singapore 1996
- A biography on Lars Onsager (pdf)
by P.C. Hemmer and E. Hiis Hauge is printed in the book «Norwegian Nobel Prize Laureates», (Olav Njølstad, ed.), Universitetsforlaget, 2006.
- In Norwegian: Boken er også utgitt på norsk, «Norske nobelprisvinnere», (Olav Njølstad, red.) Universitetsforlaget, 2005.
The Onsager Committee
- Professor Helge Holden (Chairman), Department of Mathematical Sciences, NTNU (01.01.05 - 31.12.10)
- Professor Arne Brataas, Department of Physics, NTNU (01.09.08 - 31.12.10)