Background and activities
Arne Brataas is the director of the Center of Excellence QuSpin (https://www.ntnu.edu/quspin).
Brataas received his Ph.D. in physics from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in 1997. He has been a postdoctoral fellow at TU Delft (1997-1999) and Harvard University (1999-2002) and, since 2002, professor at his alma mater.
He was the chairman of the Kavli Prize Committee in Nanoscience (2013-2019) and a recipient of the 2015 ERC Advanced Grant.
His main interests are quantum transport and spin dynamics in insulators, semiconductors, metals, and superconductors.
Research Council of Norway, Senterleder, Senter for Fremragende Forskning (SFF), Center for Quantum Spintronics
QuSpin PhD students directly supervised:
Ph.D. students: Therese Frostad, Andreas Tiedemann Glaser Janssønn, Bjørnulf Brekke, and Vemund Falch.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Room-Temperature Antiferromagnetic Resonance and Inverse Spin-Hall Voltage in Canted Antiferromagnets. Physical Review Letters. vol. 126 (18).
- (2021) Electrically Controlled Crossed Andreev Reflection in Two-Dimensional Antiferromagnets. Physical Review Letters. vol. 127 (1).
- (2021) Magnon Spin Current Induced by Triplet Cooper Pair Supercurrents. Physical Review Letters. vol. 127 (20).
- (2021) Spin pumping between noncollinear ferromagnetic insulators through thin superconductors. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 103 (2).
- (2021) Detection of Topological Spin Textures via Nonlinear Magnetic Responses. Nano Letters.
- (2021) Cross-sublattice spin pumping and magnon level attraction in van der Waals antiferromagnets. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 103 (14).
- (2021) Controlling the RKKY interaction and heat transport in a Kitaev spin liquid via Z2 flux walls. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 104 (6).
- (2020) Chiral ferromagnetism beyond Lifshitz invariants. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 101.
- (2020) Current fluctuations driven by ferromagnetic and antiferromagnetic resonance. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 102 (5).
- (2020) Spin insulatronics. Physics reports. vol. 885.
- (2020) Identifying the origin of the nonmonotonic thickness dependence of spin-orbit torque and interfacial Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction in a ferrimagnetic insulator heterostructure. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 102 (5).
- (2020) Magnon-mediated superconductivity on the surface of a topological insulator. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 101.
- (2020) Spin Hall effect in Antiferromagnets. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 101 (18).
- (2020) Electrical and thermal transport in antiferromagnet-superconductor junctions. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 102 (14).
- (2020) Macroscale nonlocal transfer of superconducting signatures to a ferromagnet in a cavity. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 102 (18).
- (2020) Magnon-squeezing as a niche of quantum magnonics. Applied Physics Letters. vol. 117 (9).
- (2020) Long-distance spin-transport across the Morin phase transition up to room temperature in ultra-low damping single crystals of the antiferromagnet α-Fe2O3. Nature Communications. vol. 11.
- (2020) Observation of Magnon Polarons in a Uniaxial Antiferromagnetic Insulator. Physical Review Letters. vol. 125 (21).
- (2020) Bose–Einstein condensation of nonequilibrium magnons in confined systems. New Journal of Physics. vol. 22.
- (2020) Magnon decay theory of Gilbert damping in metallic antiferromagnets. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 101 (020403).