Scientific writing workshops
Scientific Writing Workshop
Scientific Writing Workshop June 2022
Kavli Institute for Systems Neuroscience, Trondheim
7-9 June 2022
- Three-day intensive course tailored for young researchers in neuroscience
- Work on your own manuscript during the course
- Course fee and diet during the course days is covered by NRSN. Participants from outside Trondheim will have the opportunity to apply for travel and accommodation grants
Register here by 16 May!
Illustration: "Piled Higher and Deeper" by Jorge Cham
We invite our members to join for a three-day workshop on scientific writing, tailor-made for PhD candidates in neuroscience. The workshop will be led by Dr Daniel Soule, an experienced academic writing trainer, and is aiming to provide structure, advice, and motivation for writing a paper for publication. There will be a balance between plenary sessions, group discussions, individual writing time and one-to-one work with an experienced academic editor. Participants are expected to work on their own papers during the workshop, and in case there will be a waitlist, priority will be given to participants with a draft manuscript. After the workshop, participants can continue to work on their manuscripts and send their draft to Daniel Soule for direct editorial feedback.
- Planning and editing
- Understanding the writing process
- Breaking down the structure of papers to generate writing goals
- Techniques for being an effective writer
- Understanding the stylistic demands of neuroscience and medical journals
By the end of the course, participants should be well on the way to producing a draft of their research paper. In addition, they will learn more about the writing and publication process.
Participants need to bring a manuscript draft or any other material, such as literature searches or data analysis, which they can draw on through the workshop, and a laptop. Participants must also bring a copy of an article from the journal they wish to submit their paper to. A comprehensive workbook and a ‘Guide to Academic Punctuation’ will be handed out during the workshop.
NRSN covers the course fee, and breakfast/lunch for the duration of the program. Membership in NRSN is a precondition for participation.