Postal addressDepartment of Architectural Design, Form and Colour Studies Norwegian University of Science and Technology 7491 Trondheim
Short biography Max 160 characters [0/160]
Professor Barbara Szybinska Matusiak has seven years architectural practice. During this period she won several closed architectural competitions in Norway.
She joined the Faculty of Architecture NTNU in 1994 as a research fellow. Her doctoral project was devoted to daylighting in linear atrium buildings at high latitudes (finished 1998).
She designed the artificial sky and artificial sun for the new daylight laboratory (constructed 2000-2002) and the new full-scale room laboratory ROMLAB (finished 2006) at the same Faculty.
She has been involved in many Norwegian and international scientific projects dealing with daylighting and artificial lighting in architecture, for example: project manager of the “Visual environment in department buildings”, project leader for STEP, a bilateral Polish-Norwegian scientific project dealing with sustainable redevelopment of public buildings, member of Zero Emission Building program, partner of the Translucent façade project and member of the Nordic nett-work., SYN-TES
Her teaching activities (mainly master courses) are devoted to daylight/artificial light in architecture and to architectural design of interiors, where light and colour are the most important elements. She is also the leader, together with Karin Fridell Anter, of the international PhD-course: Nordic light and colours, sponsored by NordForsk.
She has funded the Light & Colour Group at the Faculty of Architecture at NTNU in 2011.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2013) Glare from a translucent facade, evaluation with an experimental method. Solar Energy. volum 97.
- (2012) Low-energy house, back to the 'arestue': a thought experiment about low-energy houses. Architectural Science Review. volum 55 (2).
- (2008) Issues of intelligent lighting in buildings. Przeglad Elektrotechniczny.
- (2008) Width or height? Which has the strongest impact on the size impression of rooms? Results from full-scale studies and computer simulations. Architectural Science Review. volum 51 (2).
- (2006) The impact of window wall design on the size impression of the room. Full-scale studies. Architectural Science Review.
- (2005) The limits of the mirror box concept as an overcast sky simulator. Lighting Research and Technology. volum 37 (4).
- (2004) § The impact of lighting/daylighting and reflectances on the size impression of the room. Full-scale studies. Architectural Science Review. volum 47 (2).
- (2002) Algorithms for calculation of daylight factors in streets. Lighting Research and Technology. volum 34.
- (1999) Daylighting strategies for an infinetely long atrium: An experimental evaluation. Lighting Research and Technology. volum 31 (1).
- (2005) Wonder-wall. konkurranse: The most energy efficient building in Europe. 2005.
- (2013) Nordic Light and Colour 2012. 2013. ISBN 978-82-7551-091-2.
- (2009) Grafisk metode for beregning av dagslysfaktor og estimering av blending- og overopphetingsrisiko. 2009. ISBN 978-82-7551-048-6.
- (2009) Daylighting/lighting for subjects with visual impairment and for subjects with normal vision, a full-scale study in a room laboratory. 2009. ISBN 978-82-7551-050-9.
- (2007) Smarte energieffektive bygninger. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2007. ISBN 978-82-519-2237-1.
Part of book/report
- (2013) Course "Nordic Light and Colours" held at NTNU in April 2012. AIC Colour 2013, 12th Congress of the International Colour Association, 8-12 July, 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. Proceedings, Vol 1-4.
- (2013) Course "Nordic Light and Colour". Nordic Light and Colour 2012.
- (2013) How to evaluate the quality of view out through the window?. Lux Europa Krakow 2013 Proceedings.
- (2013) Light diffusing power of translucent glazing. Proceedings of CIE Centenary Conference "Towards a New Century of Light".
- (2013) Nordic daylight. Nordic Light and Colour 2012.
- (2013) Colour shift: perceived and measured. AIC Colour 2013, 12th Congress of the International Colour Association, 8-12 July, 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. Proceedings, Vol 1-4.