Background and activities
- Fracture- and damage mechanics - FEM analysis
- Multiscale Material Modeling - from Micro-mechanisms to Macro-properties
- Nanotechnology - modeling of fracture mechanisms on the atomic level
- TMM4140 Materialteknikk 2
- TMM4160 Fracture Mechanics
- TMM4535 Robust material selection and design - offshore
- New course spring 2010: TMM4162 Atomistic Modeling of Materials Failure
- MM8404 Modeling of Fracture (MOF), PhD course
Proposed student projects
- Arctic Steels
- Nanomechanical Modeling of Materials Failure
- Environmental Assisted Fracture - HISC
- Inovation and creativity
- Materials with extreme strength - space elevator
- failure analysis - practical examples and experience
- Multiscale Material Modeling (MMM)
- Large scale crack arrest testing of pielines for transport of hydrogen and CO2 gas
Research projects in cooperation with SINTEF
- Arctic Materials
- Fracture Control Offshore Pipelines
- Environmental assisted fracture - HISC. In-situ hydrogen charging nanoindentation
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Microstructure provides insights into evolutionary design and resilience of Coscinodiscus sp. frustule. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. vol. 113 (8).
- (2016) Atomistic modeling of mechanical properties of iron: Effect of temperature. ISOPE - International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. Proceedings. vol. 2016-January.
- (2016) Diatom frustules as a biomaterial: effects of chemical treatment on organic material removal and mechanical properties in cleaned frustules from two Coscinodiscus species. Journal of porous materials. vol. 23 (4).
- (2016) Brittle fracture arrest - The state of art in a multiscale universe. ISOPE - International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. Proceedings. vol. 2016-January.
- (2015) Seasonal change in the wetting characteristics of the cuticle of the Collembola Cryptopygus clavatus (Schött, 1893). Zoomorphology. vol. 134 (2).
- (2015) Effect of crystal orientation on the strengthening of iron micro pillars. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 621.
- (2015) Strengthening mechanisms of iron micropillars. Philosophical Magazine. vol. 95 (16-18).
- (2015) Application of CTOD in atomistic modeling of fracture. Engineering Fracture Mechanics. vol. 150.
- (2014) Oxygen argon plasma treatment effect on hydrogen uptake in austenitic stainless steels. International journal of hydrogen energy. vol. 39 (26).
- (2014) Chemically Induced Phase Transformation in Austenite by Focused Ion Beam. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions. A. vol. 45 (3).
- (2014) Surface structure and wetting characteristics of Collembola cuticles. PLoS ONE. vol. 9 (2).
- (2014) Local mechanical properties of intercritically reheated coarse grained heat affected zone in low alloy steel. Materials & Design. vol. 59.
- (2014) Micromechanical Testing of Fracture Initiation Sites in Welded High-Strength Low-Alloy Steel. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions. A. vol. 45 (4).
- (2014) CTOD in atomistic modeling of fracture. Procedia Materials Science. vol. 3.
- (2013) Three-dimensional crack initiation mechanisms in bcc-Fe under loading modes I, II and III. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 560.
- (2012) Atomistic modeling of micromechanisms and T-stress effects in fracture of iron. Engineering Fracture Mechanics. vol. 79.
- (2012) Atomistic modeling of penny-shaped and through-thickness cracks in bcc iron. Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering. vol. 20 (7).
- (2012) Quantitative Relation Between Acoustic Emission Signal Amplitude and Arrested Cleavage Microcrack Size. International Journal of Fracture. vol. 177 (1).
- (2011) Surface Nanoengineering Inspired by Evolution. BioNanoScience. vol. 1 (3).
- (2011) Crack Tip Opening Displacement in atomistic modeling of fracture of silicon. Computational materials science. vol. 50 (9).