Background and activities
My research addresses questions in behavioral ecology and evolution. It aims to provide an understanding on how changes in the environment can affect the evolution of indivual behavior. My research involves:
- Evolution of sex roles
- Sexual selection and secondary sexual characters
- Sex role reversal
- How reproductive behavior in animals are affected by changes in the environment
- How captivity affects animals
Research Group: Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD)
- Professor at NTNU in ethology [ 1998 -
- Associate Professor at AVH (Norwegian College of General Sciences) in ethology [ 1994 - 1998 ]
- Postdoc at Univ. of Georgia research in behavioral ecology [ 1993 - 1994 ]
- Postdoc at Univ. of California at Santa Barbara research in evolutionary biology [ 1990 - 1993 ]
- PhD from Upsala University title:
"Sex role reversal in pipefish" [ 1990 ]
- Bachelor from Upsala University in Biology [ 1983 ]
Honors and Professional Memberships
- Leader Norwegain Society for Ecology 2012-2016
- Leader Nordic Society for Ecology 2012-2014
- President International Society of Behavioral Ecology 2012-2014
- President Elect International Society of Behavioral Ecology 2010-2012
- General Secretary International Society of Ethologists 2011-2015
- Vice Secretary General International Society of Ethologists 2007-2011
- Secretary for the International Council of Ethology 2003-2007
- Council member of the International Council of Ethology 1997-2005
- Leader for the Norwegian Marine Society 2004-2007
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Mate quality and the temporal dynamics of breeding in a sex-role-reversed pipefish, S. typhle. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology. vol. 71:28.
- (2017) Effect of an offshore wind farm on the viviparous eelpout: Biometrics, brood development and population studies in Lillgrund, Sweden. Ecological Indicators. vol. 84.
- (2017) Sex in murky waters: algal-induced turbidity increases sexual selection in pipefish. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology. vol. 71 (5).
- (2016) Effects of an Offshore Wind Farm (OWF) on the common shore crab carcinus maenas: Tagging pilot experiments in the Lillgrund Offshore Wind Farm (Sweden). PLoS ONE. vol. 11 (10).
- (2016) DUBLETT: Algal Turbidity Hampers Ornament Perception, but Not Expression, in a Sex-Role-Reversed Pipefish. Ethology. vol. 122 (3).
- (2015) Female pipefish can detect the immune status of their mates. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology. vol. 69 (12).
- (2015) Hypoxia delays mating in the broad-nosed pipefish. Marine Biology Research. vol. 11 (7).
- (2015) Algal Turbidity Hampers Ornament Perception, but Not Expression, in a Sex-Role-Reversed Pipefish. Ethology. vol. 122 (3).
- (2014) The effects of sexual selection on life-history traits: an experimental study on guppies. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. vol. 27 (2).
- (2014) Male mate choice relies on major histocompatibility complex class I in a sex-role-reversed pipefish. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. vol. 27 (5).
- (2013) Sex ratio and density affect sexual seleciton in a sex-role reversed fish. Evolution. vol. 67 (11).
- (2013) The operational sex ratio and density influence spatial relationships between breeding pipefish. Behavioral Ecology. vol. 24 (4).
- (2013) On the relationship between ontogenetic and static allometry. American Naturalist. vol. 181 (2).
- (2013) Altered Oceanic pH Impairs Mating Propensity in a Pipefish. Ethology. vol. 119 (1).
- (2012) The effect of purging on sexually selected traits through antagonistic pleiotropy with survival. Ecology and Evolution. vol. 2 (6).
- (2012) Interactions Among Female Guppies (Poecilia reticulata) Affect Growth and Reproduction. Ethology. vol. 118 (8).
- (2012) Artificial selection on allometry: change in elevation but not slope. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. vol. 25 (5).
- (2012) Behavioral adjustments of a pipefish to bacterial Vibrio challenge. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology. vol. 66 (10).
- (2011) Mutualism Among Free‐living Species. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
- (2011) Geographical variation in allometry in the guppy (Poecilia reticulata). Journal of Evolutionary Biology. vol. 24 (12).