Background and activities
My current research interests are on topics related to natural resource management, especially water and biodiversity, as well as climate change and natural hazards. I have mainly worked in Bangladesh, China (Xinjiang) and Tanzania. I teach courses in Human geography and African studies.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Integrering gjennom friluftsliv?. Plan : Tidsskrift for samfunnsplanlegging, byplan og regional utvikling.
- (2016) Water conflicts in Hetian District, Xinjiang, during the Republic of China period. Water History. vol. 8 (2).
- (2015) Climate change, natural hazards, and risk perception: the role of proximity and personal experience. Local Environment : the International Journal of Justice and Sustainability. vol. 20 (4).
- (2015) Bam 2003 earthquake disaster: On the earthquake risk perception, resilience and earthquake culture – Cultural beliefs and cultural landscape of Qanats, gardens of Khorma trees and Argh-e Bam. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. vol. 14 (4).
- (2014) Quantifying vulnerability to flooding induced by climate change: The case of Verdal, Norway. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. vol. 68 (1).
- (2012) Integrated vulnerability mapping for wards in Mid-Norway. Local Environment : the International Journal of Justice and Sustainability. vol. 17 (6-7).
- (2010) Treating water as an economic good: policies and practices in irrigation agriculture in Xinjiang, China. Geographical Journal. vol. 176 (2).
- (2009) The poorest and most vulnerable? On hazards, livelihoods and labelling of riverine communities in Bangladesh. Singapore journal of tropical geography. vol. 30 (1).
- (2009) Tanzanian water policy reforms—between principles and practical applications. Water Policy. vol. 11 (2).
- (2005) Land and water resources management problems in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, China. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. vol. 59 (3).
- (2013) Mot en farligere fremtid? Om klimaendringer, sårbarhet og tilpasning i Norge. Akademika forlag. 2013. ISBN 978-82-321-0186-3.
- (2008) Poverty and Water. Explorations of the Reciprocal Relationship. Zed Books. 2008. ISBN 978-1-84277-962-0.
Part of book/report
- (2014) The reemergence of environmental causation in migration studies and its relevance for Bangladesh. Alternative Development: Unravelling Marginalization, Voicing Change.
- (2013) Om klimaendringer, samfunn og naturkatastrofer i et globalt perspektiv. Mot en farligere fremtid? Om klimaendringer, sårbarhet og tilpasning i Norge.
- (2013) Klima i endring - hjem i fare? Holdninger til klimaendringer og naturfare som trussel mot hus og hjem i Norge. Hus, hjem og sted. Geografiske perspektiver på vår samtid.
- (2010) Competing Models of Water Resource Management and Their Implications Using the Example of Pangani River Basin in Tanzania. Shared waters, shared opportunities.Hydropolitics in East Africa.
- (2008) Water and Poverty: the inextricable link. Poverty and Water. Explorations of the Reciprocal Relationship.
- (2008) Water, Agricultural Development and Poverty in Bangladesh. Poverty and Water. Explorations of the Reciprocal Relationship.
- (2002) Migration, Irrigation and Land Use Changes in the Lowlands of Kilimanjaro,Tanzania. Water resources management. The case of Pangani River Basin: Issues and Approaches.
- (2006) The disappearance of the Karez of Turfan. Report from the project 'Harvest from wasteland. Land people and water management reforms in the drylands of Xinjiang'. 2006. Acta Geographica - Trondheim (Series A,no15).