Background and activities
Area of work
- TEP4156 Viscous flows and boundary layers (autumn course for MSc students)
- TEP4112 Turbulent flows (spring course for MSc students)
- EP8405 Turbulence (for PhD students)
- Leader of the PhD programme in Energy and Process Engineering (2014 – 2017)
- Member of the PhD committee at Faculty of Engineering Science and Technology (2012 - ?)
- Flow of particle-laden suspensions
- Flow around bluff bodies with focus on complex wake phenomena
- Flows in rotating systems affected by Coriolis forces
- Flows in laminar and turbulent boundary layers
Skills and expertise
- Fluid mechanics of viscous liquids and gases
- Turbulences, including physics of turbulence, simulations, and mathematical modeling
- CFD (computational fluid dynamics)
- M.Sc. in Engineering Physics, NTH, Trondheim 1975
- Dr.Ing. in Fluidmechanics, Dept. of General Sciences, NTH, Trondheim 1982
- Norwegian Water Resources and Electricity Board, Oslo, 1977-1978
- Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTN), Trondheim, 1978-1983
- Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, Belgium 1983-1984
- NTH, now NTNU, 1984 – present (Professor from 1985)
- NTNU, Head of Department, Division of Mechanics, Thermo- and Fluiddynamics, 1999-2002
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Large-eddy simulation of cross-flow around ship sections. Journal of Marine Science and Technology. vol. Published ahead of print.
- (2016) A new Eulerian-Lagrangian agent method to model fish paths in a vertical slot fishway. Ecological Engineering: The Journal of Ecotechnology. vol. 88.
- (2016) On the peculiar structure of a helical wake vortex behind an inclined prolate spheroid. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 801.
- (2016) On the relative rotational motion between rigid fibers and fluid in turbulent channel flow. Physics of fluids. vol. 28:013301.
- (2016) Shear flow of a Newtonian fluid over a quiescent generalized Newtonian fluid. Meccanica (Milano. Print).
- (2015) Finite-length effects on dynamical behavior of rod-like particles in wall-bounded turbulent flow. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. vol. 76.
- (2015) Investigation of the Flow Around Two Interacting Ship-Like Sections. Journal of Fluids Engineering - Trancactions of The ASME. vol. 137 (4).
- (2015) On rotational dynamics of inertial disks in creeping shear flow. Physics Letters A. vol. 379 (3).
- (2015) Shape effects on dynamics of inertia-free spheroids in wall turbulence. Physics of fluids. vol. 27.
- (2015) The transitional wake behind an inclined prolate spheroid. Physics of fluids.
- (2015) Turbulence statistics in a rotating ribbed channel. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow. vol. 51.
- (2015) Orientation and rotation of inertial disk particles in wall turbulence. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 766 (R2).
- (2015) Analysis of vortex splitting characteristics in the wake of an inclined flat plate using Hilbert-Huang transform. Acta Mechanica. vol. 226 (4).
- (2015) Rotation of Nonspherical Particles in Turbulent Channel Flow. Physical Review Letters. vol. 115 (24).
- (2014) Rod-like particles matching algorithm based on SOM neural network in dispersed two-phase flow measurements. Experiments in Fluids. vol. 55 (4).
- (2014) Boundary layers due to shear flow over a still fluid: A direct integration approach. Applied Mathematics and Computation. vol. 242.
- (2014) Turbulent wake behind a curved circular cylinder. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 742.
- (2014) Coherence and Reynolds stresses in the turbulent wake behind a curved circular cylinder. Journal of turbulence. vol. 15 (12).
- (2014) The laminar wake behind a 6:1 prolate spheroid at 45° incidence angle. Physics of fluids. vol. 26.
- (2014) Novel features of a fully developed mixing-layer between co-flowing laminar and turbulent Couette flows. Physics of fluids. vol. 26 (3).