Background and activities
I am a biologist, but with training in both archaeology and anthropology. Research interests: Zoology (vertebrates), conservation biology, human ecology and the long-term effects of climate change and human land use on animals.
Currently I am employed as a postdoc on the project "Hunting domestic reindeer - tracing an intimate relationship between humans and reindeer through space and time". This project is tied to the archaeological project SPARC, the NFR network “Forskning i fellesskap”, and is partly financed by the Norwegian Environmental Agency.
In addition I am trying to map past and present use of alpine glaciers and ice patches by birds and mammals. See more on Frozen Fauna
- PhD project: "Ungulates in a dynamic and increasingly human dominated landscape". Which investigated the prehistory of moose, red deer and wild boar in Norway using distribution analysis, morphometrics, stable isotopes and ancient DNA.
- Identification of bones through hyperspectral camera.
Link to my research results, information and scientific activities on Cristin
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Perennial ice and snow-covered land as important ecosystems for birds and mammals. Journal of Biogeography. vol. 43 (1).
- (2014) Rapid localization of bone fragments on surfaces using back-projection and hyperspectral imaging. Journal of Forensic Sciences. vol. 59 (2).
- (2014) Stable isotope analysis and variation in Medieval domestic pig husbandry practices in northwest Europe: absence of evidence for a purely herbivorous diet. Journal of Archaeological Science. vol. 49 (1).
- (2014) Long-term morphological changes in the skeleton of red deer (Artiodactyla, Cervidae) at its northern periphery. Journal of Mammalogy. vol. 95 (3).
- (2014) Ancient DNA reveals prehistoric habitat fragmentation and recent domestic introgression into native wild reindeer. Conservation Genetics. vol. 15 (5).
- (2013) Non-indigenous introgression into the Norwegian red deer population. Conservation Genetics. vol. 14 (1).
- (2013) Cervids in a dynamic northern landscape: Holocene changes in the relative abundance of moose and red deer at the limits of their distributions. The Holocene. vol. 23 (8).
- (2012) Reconstructing the history of a fragmented and heavily exploited red deer population using ancient and contemporary DNA. BMC Evolutionary Biology. vol. 12 (191).
- (2010) A preboreal elk (Alces alces L., 1758) antler from south-eastern Norway. Fauna Norvegica. vol. 30.
- (2010) The rise and fall of wild boar in a northern environment: Evidence from stable isotopes and subfossil finds. The Holocene. vol. 20 (7).
Part of book/report
- (2015) Fjellets kulturlandskapshistorie. Fjellets kulturlandskap. Arealbruk og landskap gjennom flere tusen år.
- (2012) Om vårt hjortevilt og om villsvin. Klauvvilt i norsk natur - historie, biologi og forvaltning.
- (2012) Artenes historie i Norge - bestandsutvikling, genetikk og forvaltning. Klauvvilt i norsk natur - historie, biologi og forvaltning.
- (2015) Evig endring, fra istid til framtid. Dreiebok for utstilling. 2015.
- (2013) Ungulates in a dynamic and increasingly human dominated landscape - A millennia-scale perspective. 2013. ISBN 978-82-471-4148-9. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (2013:28).
- (2008) Wild boar in Norway - is climate a limiting factor?. 2008. ISBN 978-82-7126-788-9. NTNU Vitenskapsmuseet Rapport zoologisk serie (1).