Background and activities
I am a biologist, but with training in both archaeology and anthropology. Research interests: Zoology (vertebrates), conservation biology, human ecology and the long-term effects of climate change and human land use on animals.
Currently I am employed as a postdoc on the project "Hunting domestic reindeer - tracing an intimate relationship between humans and reindeer through space and time". This project is tied to the archaeological project SPARC, the NFR network “Forskning i fellesskap”, and is partly financed by the Norwegian Environmental Agency.
In addition I am trying to map past and present use of alpine glaciers and ice patches by birds and mammals. See more on Frozen Fauna
- PhD project: "Ungulates in a dynamic and increasingly human dominated landscape". Which investigated the prehistory of moose, red deer and wild boar in Norway using distribution analysis, morphometrics, stable isotopes and ancient DNA. Read more about the project here
- Identification of bones through hyperspectral camera.
Link to my research results, information and scientific activities on Cristin
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Perennial ice and snow-covered land as important ecosystems for birds and mammals. Journal of Biogeography. vol. 43 (1).
- (2014) Rapid localization of bone fragments on surfaces using back-projection and hyperspectral imaging. Journal of Forensic Sciences. vol. 59 (2).
- (2014) Stable isotope analysis and variation in Medieval domestic pig husbandry practices in northwest Europe: absence of evidence for a purely herbivorous diet. Journal of Archaeological Science. vol. 49 (1).
- (2014) Long-term morphological changes in the skeleton of red deer (Artiodactyla, Cervidae) at its northern periphery. Journal of Mammalogy. vol. 95 (3).
- (2014) Ancient DNA reveals prehistoric habitat fragmentation and recent domestic introgression into native wild reindeer. Conservation Genetics. vol. 15 (5).
- (2013) Non-indigenous introgression into the Norwegian red deer population. Conservation Genetics. vol. 14 (1).
- (2013) Cervids in a dynamic northern landscape: Holocene changes in the relative abundance of moose and red deer at the limits of their distributions. The Holocene. vol. 23 (8).
- (2012) Reconstructing the history of a fragmented and heavily exploited red deer population using ancient and contemporary DNA. BMC Evolutionary Biology. vol. 12 (191).
- (2010) A preboreal elk (Alces alces L., 1758) antler from south-eastern Norway. Fauna Norvegica. vol. 30.
- (2010) The rise and fall of wild boar in a northern environment: Evidence from stable isotopes and subfossil finds. The Holocene. vol. 20 (7).
Part of book/report
- (2015) Fjellets kulturlandskapshistorie. Fjellets kulturlandskap. Arealbruk og landskap gjennom flere tusen år.
- (2012) Om vårt hjortevilt og om villsvin. Klauvvilt i norsk natur - historie, biologi og forvaltning.
- (2012) Artenes historie i Norge - bestandsutvikling, genetikk og forvaltning. Klauvvilt i norsk natur - historie, biologi og forvaltning.
- (2015) Evig endring, fra istid til framtid. Dreiebok for utstilling. 2015.
- (2013) Ungulates in a dynamic and increasingly human dominated landscape - A millennia-scale perspective. 2013. ISBN 978-82-471-4148-9. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (2013:28).
- (2008) Wild boar in Norway - is climate a limiting factor?. 2008. ISBN 978-82-7126-788-9. NTNU Vitenskapsmuseet Rapport zoologisk serie (1).