Background and activities
Professor in sociology (of sports)
Central research topics:
- Feminist perspectives on body, sport and modernity
- The gendering of (sport) organizations,
- Power and mechanisms of inclusion and exclusion in sport policy,
- Images of leadership and gender in sport
- Gender in sports media
- Gender and coaching
- Physical activity, sport and social class.
Main topics of teaching
- Sport and social theory
- Sport sociology
- Sport history
- Qualitative methods
Selected academic leadership positions:
- Pro- rector of Finnmark University College.
- Coordinator of the Research Group on Rural Women at Finnmark University College.
- President of the Norwegian Association for Women and Gender Studies.
- Extended board member of the International Sociology of Sport Association (ISSA)
- Leader of the master program in sport studies
Selected scientific activities:
- Several key note/guest lectures, invited papers and about 50 paper presentations on national and international congresses and conferences.
- Guest editor for several special issues of journals of sport and gender research
- Member of several editorial boards
- Leader/member of expert committees to assess qualifications to academic positions at Norwegian universities as well as internationally.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Kjønn som sparringspartner - Ledelsesformer og betydninger av kjønn blant norske boksetrenere. Tidsskrift for kjønnsforskning. vol. 39 (3-4).
- (2015) Assessing the sociology of sport: On sport organizations and neoliberal discourses. International Review for the Sociology of Sport. vol. 50 (4-5).
- (2014) Negotiating the status of women's football in Norway. An analysis of online supporter discourses. European Journal for Sport and Society. vol. 11 (3).
- (2012) Discourses and strategies for the inclusion of women in sport – the case of Norway. Sport in Society. vol. 15 (3).
- (2011) Gender and the production of elites in the Nordic countries: new directions in research. Gender in Management. vol. 26 (6).
- (2010) Female Top Leaders - Prisoners of Gender? The Gendering of Leadership Discourses in Norwegian Sports Organizations. International Journal of Sport Policy. vol. 2 (2).
- (2006) The gender order as a policy issue in sport a study of Norwegian sports organizations. NORA. Nordic Journal of Feminist and Gender Research. vol. 14 (1).
- (2006) Introduction: Gender, Power and Sports. NORA. Nordic Journal of Feminist and Gender Research. vol. 14 (1).
- (2005) Fra likestiling - nytte og nytelse? : kjønnskonstruksjoner og markedsstyring i idretten. Sociologisk forskning. vol. 42 (1).
- (2004) From right-based to utility-oriented equalization : gender political discourses in Norwegian sports. ?.
- (2001) Likestilling og likeverd i klemme? Eit kjønnsblikk på kampen mellom marknad og frivilleghet i idretten. Kvinneforskning. vol. 25 (3).
- (1999) Is it Worth the Prize? Women's Involvement in Leadership and Coaching in Sport Organizations in Norway. ?. vol. 8 (1).
- (1999) Når kvinner blir sand i maskineriet. Kjønn, interaksjon og makt i idrettspolitiske beslutningsprosessar. Sosiologisk Tidsskrift. vol. 7 (3).
- (1989) Ei framtid for kvinner i organisert idrett? Kvinners interesseforvaltning og ressursforhold i idrettslaga. ?. vol. 13 (4).
- (1989) Idrett i kvinneperspektiv - forskningsbidrag, perspektiver og utfordringer. Nytt om Kvinneforskning. vol. 13 (4).
- (2010) Sportswomen at the Olympics. A Global Content Analysis of Newspaper Coverage. Sense Publishers. 2010. ISBN 978-94-6091-105-7.
Part of book/report
- (2016) "Skulle ønske jeg kunne være med på turn, jeg!" Om fattige foreldres utfordringer med å legge til rette for barnas fysiske aktivitet. Ungdom og idrett.
- (2016) Pioneers and outstanding women in national and international sports leadership. Inspirational women in Europe: making a difference in physical education, sport and dance.
- (2016) Når kvinner gjør forskjell - Et portrett av en nestor i nord-norsk idrett: Olga Olaussen. Utafor sporet? Idrett, identiteter og regionalisme i nord.
- (2016) The 'fast track' as a future strategy for achieving gender equality and Democracy in sport organizations. Ethics and Governance in Sport. The future of sport imagined.