Background and activities
Jorunn Helbostad is Professor in Human Movement Science, and deputy for research at Department of Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine. She is the research group leader for the cross diciplinary group Geriatrics, Movement and Stroke and is responsible for movement laboratories at INM.
- Master in Physiotherapy,1998
- PhD in Medicine, 2004
- Movement disorders and falls at old age
- Measurement and interventions related to balancee, gait and physical activity
- Development of mobile health technology solutions for promotion of movement
- PreventIT: EU, ICT and personalised heath project aimed at preventing functional decline in young older adults.
- ADAPT: FriBioMed project financed by the Norwegain Research Council, aimed at developing a health application for assessment and intervention of fall risk at old age.
- ProFouND: EU, ICT. Implementation of falls prevention in clinical practice.
- Hip fractures: Treatment and rehabilitation following hip fractures.
- Generation 100: Population based RCT among people 70-77 assessing the effect of physical exercise on cardiovascular disease, mortality, and on health outcomes related to functional fitness. ; fysisk trening for primært å utsette hjertekarsykdom og død, og sekundært for å bedre fungering i hverdagen
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Poor Gait Performance and Prediction of Dementia: Results From a Meta-Analysis. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. vol. 17 (6).
- (2016) Association between falls and brain subvolumes: results from a cross-sectional analysis in healthy older adults. Brain Topography. vol. Published ahead of print.
- (2016) Stakeholder Attitudes Toward and Values Embedded in a Sensor-Enhanced Personal Emergency Response System. Interacting with computers. vol. 28 (5).
- (2016) Fatigue may contribute to reduced physical activity among older people: an observational study. The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences. vol. 71 (5).
- (2016) Long-Term Effects of Individually Tailored Physical Training and Activity on Physical Function, Well-Being and Cognition in Scandinavian Nursing Home Residents: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Gerontology. vol. 62 (6).
- (2016) A comparison study of local dynamic stability measures of daily life walking in older adult community-dwelling fallers and non-fallers. Journal of Biomechanics. vol. 49 (9).
- (2016) The complexity of daily life walking in older adult community-dwelling fallers and non-fallers. Journal of Biomechanics. vol. 49 (9).
- (2016) Who benefits from orthogeriatric treatment? Results from the Trondheim hip-fracture trial. BMC Geriatrics. vol. 16:49 (1).
- (2016) Exercise and rehabilitation delivered through exergames in older adults: An integrative review of technologies, safety and efficacy. International Journal of Medical Informatics. vol. 85 (1).
- (2016) Exergaming in older adults: Movement characteristics while playing stepping games. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 7:964.
- (2016) Early Parent-Administered Physical Therapy for Preterm Infants: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatrics. vol. 138 (2 August).
- (2016) Test-retest reliability of the Test of Infant Motor Performance Screening Items in infants at risk for impaired functional motor performance. Early Human Development. vol. 93.
- (2015) Treadmill Training or Progressive Strength Training to Improve Walking in People with Multiple Sclerosis? A Randomized Parallel Group Trial. Physiotherapy Research International.
- (2015) Systematic content evaluation and review of measurement properties of questionnaires for measuring self-reported fatigue among older people. Quality of Life Research. vol. 24 (9).
- (2015) Forebyggende gruppetrening for hjemmeboende eldre : hvem deltar og hva gir motivasjon til å delta?. Fysioterapeuten. vol. 82 (9).
- (2015) The Discriminant Value of Phase-Dependent Local Dynamic Stability of Daily Life Walking in Older Adult Community-Dwelling Fallers and Nonfallers. BioMed Research International. vol. 2015.
- (2015) Kan balanse hos eldre påvirkes av et tre ukers opphold på rehabiliteringssenter? En randomisert kontrollert klinisk studie. Fysioterapeuten. vol. 82 (9).
- (2015) Usability and acceptability of balance exergames in older adults: A scoping review. Health Informatics Journal.
- (2015) An exergame concept for improving balance in elderly people. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 515.
- (2015) Comprehensive geriatric care for patients with hip fractures: a prospective, randomised, controlled trial. The Lancet. vol. 385 (9978).