Background and activities
Kimmo Kansanen (1971) is an Associate Professor at the Department of Electronics and Telecommunications. He belongs to the Signal Processing Group. He has a MSc and a PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Oulu, Finland.
- 2011- Associate Professor, NTNU
- 2008-2011 Research Scientist, FP7-SENDORA, NTNU
- 2006-2008 Post-doc, NORDITE/VERDIKT project CROPS
- 1999-2006 Research Scientist, University of Oulu
- 1994-1997 Telecommunications hardware assembly and testing, embedded software development ©, system testing, project management, Elektrobit Oy, Finland
- Contact person for NTNU in the H2020 (pending contract agreement signing) ITN “Wireless In-Body Environment - WIBEC”, H2020-MSCA-ITN-2015, total score 94.6%.
- Contact person for NTNU in “Advanced MODEM Techniques for Future Satellite Access Networks“ (2013-2014), funded by European Space Agency, prime contractor is Space Engineering S.p.A. while NTNU is a subcontractor.
- Project member in “Norwegian, Bosnian and Serbian cooperation platform for university and industry in ICT R&D (NORBAS)” (2012-2015), financed by Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Project member in “Medical Sensing, Localization and Communications using Ultra Wideband Technology (MELODY) - II” (2013-2015) funded by the research council of Norway and focusing on sensing, localization, and wireless communications in medical practice.
- Project member in FP7 SENDORA (2008-2010). The EU-FP7 focused project SENDORA received funding from the 7th framework program Call 1 Objective 1. The goal of the project is to study and eventually demonstrate the use of sensor networks for enabling cognitive radio system operation and optimization.
- The Nordic cooperation project CROPS-2 (2008-2010) received funding from the NORDITE project by TEKES, Vinnova and Forskningsrådet. The goal of the project is to perform fundamental research in cooperative sensing in a sensor network to detect radio signals.
Special Session Chair, CrownCom 2010, Publicity Co-Chair, Communication Theory Workshop 2011, General Chair, Third Nordic Workshop on System & Network Optimization for Wireless 2012.
Technical Program Committees
IEEE International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems (ISWCS) 2006, 2007 and 2008. European Wireless 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011. IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC) 2008, 2014. IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC) 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference S-2008, F-2009, F-2014. IEEE Globecomm 2010, 2014, 2015. IEEE ICC 2011, 2014, 2015. IEEE SmartGridCom 2013, 2014. CrownCom 2010. ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas 2014 (WSA 2014)
Patents and patent applications
- US Patent 7447285: Data processing method, receiver and network element for executing a turbo principle
- US Patent 7492844: Data processing method, equalizer and receiver
- US Patent 7466779: Data transmission method, data transmission arrangement and base station
He has supervised 5 MSc students, and 6 PhD students
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Exact SMP Algorithms for Integer Forcing Linear MIMO Receivers. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications.
- (2015) Diversity Effects in Kalman Filtering Over Rayleigh Fading Channels. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. vol. 63 (23).
- (2015) Time-Domain Oversampled OFDM Communication in Doubly-Selective Underwater Acoustic Channels. IEEE Communications Letters. vol. 19 (6).
- (2015) On Energy Detection for MIMO Decision Fusion in Wireless Sensor Networks over NLOS Fading. IEEE Communications Letters. vol. 19 (2).
- (2015) Power Randomization for Iterative Detection over Random-Access Fading Channels. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications.
- (2014) Individual packet deadline delay constrained opportunistic scheduling for large multiuser systems. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. vol. 2014.
- (2014) Achieving Fair Spectrum Allocation and Reduced Spectrum Handoff in Wireless Sensor Networks: Modeling via Biobjective Optimization. Modelling and Simulation in Engineering. vol. 2014.
- (2014) On Estimation Error Outage for Scalar Gauss-Markov Signals Sent Over Fading Channels. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. vol. 62 (23).
- (2013) Partial Equivalent Channel Inversion Based Precoding with Mode Adaptation in Multiuser MIMO Systems. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 12 (7).
- (2012) On MMSE estimation: A Linear Model under Gaussian Mixture Statistics. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. vol. 60 (7).
- (2011) Individual Packet Deadline Constrained Opportunistic Scheduling For a Multiuser System. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC) Proceedings.
- (2011) Efficient State Estimation with Energy Harvesting and Fairness Control Using Stochastic Optimization. GLOBECOM - conference record / IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference.
- (2010) Analogue Transmission over a Two-hop Gaussian Cascade Network. IEEE Communications Letters. vol. 14 (2).
- (2009) On the Delay-Energy Tradeoff in Multiuser Fading Channels. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. vol. 2009.
- (2007) An Analytical Method for MMSE MIMO Turbo Equalizer EXIT Chart Computation. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 6 (1).
- (2007) Iterative Frequency Domain Joint-over-Antenna Detection in Multiuser MIMO. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 6 (10).
- (2007) Iterative Joint-Over-Antenna Detection and WNRA Decoding in Single-Carrier Multiuser MIMO Systems. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. vol. 56 (2).
Part of book/report
- (2015) Accurate heart rate estimation from camera recording via MUSIC algorithm. 2015 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC).
- (2015) Oversampling diversity for uncoded transmission of bandlimited sources over parallel fading channels. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 2015.
- (2014) Diversity effects in the estimation of a Gauss-Markov process over a fading channel. ICC 2014 - Proceedings of 2014 IEEE International Conference on Communications.