Background and activities
Knut H. Sørensen is Professor of Science and Technology Studies, Department of Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture, NTNU. He graduated from NTNU (NTH, Norwegian Institute of Technology) in 1976 (M. Sc. in Applied Physics) and received his PhD (Organization Studies) from NTH (NTNU) in 1982.
Sørensen is coordinating the following subjects:
- KULT8850/51 Theories of Science
- KULT8860/61Advanced course in qualitative methods
- KULT8873 Technology, Science and Culture
Sørensen has been main or co-supervisor of 46 PhD-candidates who succesfully have completed their doctorates and is main or co-supervisor of 6 active PhD-candidates.
- Science and technology studies
- Social studies of climate and sustainable energy
- Social studies of information and communication technologies
- Gender, science and technology
- Science and innovation policy
- Innovation and socialisation of technology
- Sustainability transitions
- Responsible research and innovation
- Centre for sustainable energy studies (CenSES). Manager of Research Area 1: FO1: Policy making and transition strategies
- Performing ELSA. Governance of and governmentality in nanotechnology and biotechnology research
- Making gender balance from below: stimulating gender equality among university professors
Sørensen has managed more than 30 projects funded by Norwegian research councils and been national co-PI of 8 EU-funded projects.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Mismatch or misunderstanding? Calculation and qualculation among economists and consumers in their framings of the electricity market. Acta Sociologica.
- (2016) Concerned consumption.Global warming changing household domestication of energy. Energy Policy. vol. 98.
- (2015) Consumer, client or citizen? How Norwegian local governments domesticate website technology and configure their users. Information, Communication and Society. vol. 18 (7).
- (2015) From 'alternative' to 'advanced': Mainstreaming of sustainable technologies. Science & Technology Studies. vol. 28 (1).
- (2015) KOSTNADSEFFEKTIVITETENS KLAMME ÅND: KONSEKVENSER AV DEN SAMFUNNSØKONOMISKE FORMATERINGEN AV KLIMAPOLITIKKEN. Vardøger.
- (2014) Designing a ‘green’ building: expanding ambitions through social learning. Building Research & Information. vol. 42 (5).
- (2013) Beyond innovation. Towards an extended framework for analysing technology policy. Nordic Journal of Science and Technology Studies. vol. 1 (1).
- (2011) Technologies of Inclusion. Gender in the Information Society. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2011. ISBN 9788251928465.
- (2008) Faglighet og tverrfaglighet i den nye kunnskapsøkonomien. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2008. ISBN 978-82-519-2339-2.
- (2008) Vitenskap som dialog - kunnskap i bevegelse. Tverrfaglighet og kunnskapskulturer i forskning. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2008. ISBN 978-82-519-2338-5.
- (2007) Mellom klima og komfort - utfordringer for en bærekraftig energiutvikling. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2007. ISBN 978-82-519-2276-0.
- (2002) Shaping Technology, Guiding Policy: Concepts, Spaces, & Tools. 2002. ISBN 1-84064-649-7.
Part of book/report
- (2016) Innovasjonspolitikk og nyskapningspraksiser. Det norske samfunn.
- (2015) Preparing for new solar cells through integrated research: challenges in translating social robustness into the selection of materials. Practices of Innovation and Responsibility: insights from methods, governance and action.
- (2011) Fra kunnskap til dyd? Om tverrfaglighet som kompetanseutfordring. Dannelse. Tenkning - modning - refleksjon.