Background and activities
Sigurd Skogestad is Professor of Chemical Engineering at NTNU in Trondheim with focus on process control,. He received his PhD from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in 1987, He has been full professor at NTNU since 1987 and he was Head of department of Chemical Engineering from 1999 to 2009. He is since 2015 the Director of the SUBPRO center for research-based innovation on subsea production and processing.
His research interests include control structure design and plantwide control, optimal operation of process systems, modelling for control, robust control, PID control and distillation columns.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Anti-slug control based on a virtual flow measurement. Flow Measurement and Instrumentation.
- (2016) Robust control of a two-state Greitzer compressor model by state-feedback linearization. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2016) Optimal Operation and Stabilising Control of the Concentric Heat-Integrated Distillation Column. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (7).
- (2016) Optimal operation of energy storage in buildings: Use of the hot water system. Journal of Energy Storage. vol. 5.
- (2016) Null-space method for optimal operation of transient processes. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (7).
- (2016) Optimal PID control of double integrating processes. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (7).
- (2016) Dividing-Wall Column for Fractionation of Natural Gas Liquids in Floating Liquefied Natural Gas Plants. Chemical Engineering & Technology. vol. 39 (12).
- (2016) Real-Time Optimization under Uncertainty Applied to a Gas Lifted Well Network. Processes. vol. 4.
- (2016) Comparison of stabilizing control structures for dividing wall columns. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (7).
- (2016) Control structure selection for four-product Kaibel column. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 93.
- (2016) Model Predictive Control of Reactive Dividing Wall Column for the Selective Hydrogenation and Separation of a C3 Stream in an Ethylene Plant. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 55 (36).
- (2016) Biodiesel production by reactive flash: A numerical simulation. International Journal of Chemical Engineering. vol. 2016.
- (2016) Plant-wide control of a reactive distillation column on biodiesel production. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing. vol. 466.
- (2016) Minimizing the complexity of surrogate models for optimization. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 38.
- (2016) Comparative Study of Multicomponent Distillation Static Estimators Based on Industrial and Rigorous Model Datasets. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (7).
- (2015) A Sensory-Motor Control Model of Animal Flight Explains Why Bats Fly Differently in Light Versus Dark. PLoS biology. vol. 13 (1).
- (2015) Control structure design and dynamic modeling for a solid oxide fuel cell with direct internal reforming of methane. Chemical engineering research & design. vol. 98.
- (2015) An autonomous approach for driving systems towards their limit: An intelligent adaptive anti-slug control system for production maximization. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (6).
- (2015) Neighbouring-extremal control for steady-state optimization using noisy measurements. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (8).
- (2015) Model Predictive Control for the Self-optimized Operation in Wastewater Treatment Plants. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 37.