Background and activities
Stig Arve Sæther is a associate professor (Sport scientist, NTNU 2004) in sport science at the department of sosiology and political science, NTNU. His main research interests include; talent development, youth sport and sport psychology. Sæther has published a range of articles in international journals and two books. His largest research project is a longitudinal 10 year follow-up on a age-cohorte of youth national football players from 2005-2015. His latest book De norske fotballtalentene (2017) is based on this project.
Research projects: (in norwegian)
- Fotball og talent (Football and Talent)
- Fotballakademiene (Football academies)
- Veien til toppen (Road to the top)
- Trenerundersøkelsen 2012(The Coach survey)
- Oppvekst i bygder (Adolescence in rural environment)
- Fysisk aktivitet (Physical activity)
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2017) De norske fotballtalentene. Hvem lykkes og hvorfor? Universitetsforlaget: Oslo. ISBN: 9788215028033
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2015) Trenerroller. Fagbokforlaget: Bergen.
PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES:
Sæther, S.A, Peterson, T. & Matin, W. (2017) The relative age effect, height and weight characteristics among lower and upper secondary school athletes in Norway and Sweden (Submitted).
Engan, C. & Sæther, S. A. (2017) Goal Orientations, Motivational Climate and Perception of Stress in Elite Junior Football Players: A Comparison of Club Levels. (Submitted)
Klund, F. & Sæther, S. A. (2017) Relationships Between Perfectionism, Training Load and Elite Junior Football Players’ Self-Assessed and Coach-Assessed Skills. The Sport Journal. (Accepted)
- Lagestad, Pål, Sæther, Stig Arve & Ulvik, Aleksander (2017) Differences in coaching feedback between coaches of junior elite soccer players and junior amateur soccer players. Journal of Physical Education and Sport, 17,3, 2049-2058.
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2017) Characteristics of Professional and Non-Professional Football Players – An Eight-Year Follow-Up of Three Age Cohorts. Montenegrin Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 2, 13-18.
- Sæther, Stig Arve, Aspvik, Nils Petter & Høigaard, Rune (2017) Norwegian football academy players – players’ characteristics, stress and coach-athlete relationship. The Open Sports Sciences Journal, 10, 141-150.
- Matin, Vazjwar & Sæther, Stig Arve (2017) Talented high school football players’ perception of talent identification criteria. Sport Mont Journal, 2, 3-7.
- Sæther, Stig Arve & Aspvik, Nils Petter (2017) Descriptive analysis of Objectively Assessed Physical activity among talented soccer players – a study of 3 Norwegian professional football clubs. BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine, 2, 1-5.
- Aalberg, Ruben R. & Sæther, Stig Arve (2016) The Talent Development Environment in a Norwegian top-level football club. Sport Science Review, 3-4, 159-182.
- Sæther, Stig Arve & Aspvik, Nils Petter (2016) Norwegian junior football players - player´s perception of stress according to playing time. Sport Science Review, 1-2, 85-96.
- Nerland, Eirik & Sæther, Stig Arve (2016) Norwegian football academy players – Players self-assessed competence, Perfectionism, Goal orientations and Motivational climate. Sport Mont Journal, 2, 7-11.
- Sæther Stig Arve & Mehus Ingar (2016) "You´re not born with talent" Talented girls´ and boys´ perception of their talents as football players. Sports, 4, 1, 1-8.
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2016) Presence of the relative age effect and its effect on playing time among under-20 players in the Norwegian premier league Tippeligaen - a four year follow up. Montenegrin Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 1, 11-15
- Sæther, Stig Arve & Solberg, Harry Arne (2015) Talent Development in football: are young talents given time to blossom? Sport, Business and Management: An International Journal , Vol. 5 Iss: 5, pp.493 - 506
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2015) Selecting players for youth national teams - a question of birth month and reselection? Science & Sports, 30, 6, 314-320.
- Sæther, Stig Arve & Aspvik, Nils Petter (2014) Seasonal variation in objectively assessed physical activity among young Norwegian talented soccer players: A description of daily physical activity level. Journal of sports science & medicine, 13, 4, 964-968.
- Aspvik, Nils Petter, Mehus, Ingar, Sæther, Stig Arve & Tjønndal, Anne (2016) Instruerende og positiv feedback ledelse i fotball. En undersøkelse av norske mannlige fotballtreneres lederstil. idrottsforum.org
- Haulan, Christian & Sæther, Stig Arve (2015) Den viktige kamparenaen. En oppgave for toppklubbene eller aldersbestemte landslag. idrottsforum.org
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2014) Talent identification in Soccer. What do Coaches Look for? Idrottsforum.org
- Aalberg, Ruben R. & Sæther, Stig Arve (2013) Trøndelag – verdens beste «skinasjon»? En undersøkelse av hvordan representanter fra regionen forstår sin egen suksess som dominerende skiidrettsregion i Norge. idrottsforum.org
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2013) Høye ambisjoner og riktig studievalg - eneste vei til en fotballkarriere?, idrottsforum.org,
- Haulan, Christian & Sæther, Stig Arve (2011) Aldersbestemte fotballandslag i Norge. Dette kjennetegner de selekterte spillerne i 2009., Idrottsforum.org.
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2010) Spilletid for talenter i norsk toppfotball. Status for tippeligaen 2009., Idrottsforum.org.
- Mehus, Ingar & Sæther, Stig Arve (2016) The importance of achievement goal orientation when learning a novel, and increasingly complexed, skill. ECSS konferanse, Vienna July.
- Sæther, Stig Arve & Aspvik, Nils Petter (2014) Norwegian football academy players - assessing personal skills as a result of self-organized training. ECSS conference. Amsterdam 2014-07-02 - 2014-07-05.
- Mehus, Ingar & Sæther, Stig Arve (2014) Goal orientation, intrinsic motivation and exerted effort. ECSS conference. Amsterdam 2014-07-02 - 2014-07-05.
- Sæther, Stig Arve & Solberg, Harry Arne (2014) European football: The challenges of giving young players time and space. EURAM, Valencia, 3-7 June.
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2013) Talent development in soccer: a question of top-level clubs budget and table position? ECSS konferanse. Barcelona. 2013-06-26 - 2013-06-30.
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2007) Soccer coaches understanding of talent in soccer. ISSA & ISHPES konferanse. ISSA & ISHPES; København. 2007-07-31 - 2007-08-05.,
Media (in English)
- Young talented footballers overtrain, ScienceNordic 27.01.15
- How Norway Scores So Much Olympic Gold Gets. The Wall Street Journal, 08.02.15
- How do kids who excel in sports become real stars? ScienceNordic 29.09.14