Background and activities
Interests and engagements
I am currently director of the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre (UTC) "Performance in a Seaway", see www.ntnu.no/imt/forskning/rolls_royce for more information.
I am one of two members of the standing committee of Symposium of Marine Propulsors
I am engaged in the planning of the new marine technology research center in Trondheim - www.oceanspacecentre.no/
I am coordinator for the hydrodynamic laboratories in the Department of Marine Technology.
Other topics of interest are:
- Model test techniques
- Resistance and propulsion
- Seakeeping of ships, including propulsion in waves
- Performance of high speed marine vehichles, especially air cushion catamaran
I am lecturing the following courses:
- TMR 4220 Naval Hydrodynamics - Spring-term course for Msc-students, covering resistance, propulsion and manoeuvring of ships.
- TMR 4217 Hydrodynamics of high speed marine vehicles Spring-term Msc-course covering all aspects of hydrodynamic performance of high speed marine vehicles.
- TMR4247 Marin Teknikk 3 - (in norwegian) - the part of the course covering resistance and propulsion
- TMR7 Experimental methods in marine hydrodynamics - module in the final year of Msc, included in TMR4300 and TMR4525.
- Phd course MR8306 Hydrodynamics of marine structures 2
- Doktorgradskurs MR8308 Advanced experimental methods in marine hydrodynamics
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Hydrodynamic resistance analysis of new hull design for multipurpose amphibious vehicle applying with finite volume method. Jurnal Teknologi. vol. 74 (5).
- (2014) Influence of ducted propeller on seakeeping in waves. Ocean Engineering. vol. 91.
- (2014) Propulsive factors in waves: A comparative experimental study for an open and a ducted propeller. Ocean Engineering. vol. 91.
- (2014) Experiments with actively pitch-controlled and spring-loaded oscillating foils. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 48.
- (2014) Assessment of profit, cost and emissions for slender bulk vessel designs. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment. vol. 29.
- (2013) Speed loss of a vessel sailing in oblique waves. Ocean Engineering. vol. 64.
- (2013) Verification and validation of numerical calculation of ship resistance and flow field of a large tanker. Ships and Offshore Structures. vol. 8 (1).
- (2013) Rolling of a transport barge in irregular seas, a comparison of motion analyses and model tests. Marine Systems & Ocean Technology. vol. 8 (1).
- (2012) Numerical calculations of propeller shaft loads on azimuth propulsors in oblique inflow. Journal of Marine Science and Technology. vol. 17 (4).
- (2012) Theoretical and experimental investigation of propeller shaft loads in transient conditions. International Shipbuilding Progress. vol. 59 (1-2).
- (2012) Experimental and Numerical Study of Stem Shape Influence on Speed Loss in Waves. Ship Technology Research. vol. 59 (2).
- (2012) Speed loss due to seakeeping and maneuvering in zigzag motion. Ocean Engineering. vol. 48.
- (2012) Seakeeping prediction of KVLCC2 in head waves with RANS. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 35.
- (2012) Identification and Analysis of Full Scale Ventilation Events. International Journal of Rotating Machinery. vol. 2012.
- (2011) Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of Propeller Shaft Loads in Oblique Inflow. Journal of Ship Research. vol. 55 (4).
- (2011) Shaft Loads on Azimuth Propulsors in Oblique Flow and Waves. International Journal of Maritime Engineering. vol. 153 (A1).
- (2011) Identification of ventilation regimes of a marine propeller by means of dynamic-loads analysis. Ocean Engineering. vol. 38 (14-15).
- (2011) Numerical simulations of a fully-submerged propeller subject to ventilation. Ocean Engineering. vol. 38 (14-15).
- (2011) EVALUATION OF ADDED RESISTANCE OF KVLCC2 IN SHORT WAVES. Journal of Hydrodynamics. vol. 23 (6).
- (2009) Experiments on the stability and drag of a flexible sheet under in-plane tension in uniform flow. Journal of Fluids and Structures. vol. 25 (5).