Background and activities
Ali Shariq Imran obtained his Ph.D. from University of Oslo (UiO), Norway in Computer Science and a Masters in Software Engineering and Computing from National University of Science & Technology (NUST), Pakistan. He specializes in applied research with a focus on deep learning technology and its application to images, videos, speech, and semantic web.
- Deep Learnig
- Speech analysis
- Image and video analysis
- Contextual and semantic understanding, segmentation, object identification, OCR and tracking
- video learning objects, LMS, and MOOC
- Semantic Web & OSN
- Board member, HCI International Conference on Social Computing and Social Media.
- IEEE member, Norway section.
- Effectiveness of Search Engine and Social Networking Data in healthcare Systems - Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics (JMIHI) - Link
- Software Standards and Their Impact in Reducing Software Failures - IEEE Access - Link
- IMT 4451 - Coding and compression of media data, Master level.
- IMT 4062 - Project Management & Software Engineering, Master level.
- IMT 1471 - Web Project 1, Bachelor level.
- HEC scholorship holder
- UIUC scholarship holder under Faculty Development Program
- Best Paper award: "Analysis of Online Social Networks Posts to Investigate Suspects Using SEMCON", HCI Intl., Los Angeles, California, USA, 2015.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Towards Understanding the MOOC Trend: Pedagogical Challenges and Business Opportunities. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 9753.
- (2016) Sub-Nyquist sampling and detection in Costas coded pulse compression radars. EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing. vol. 2016 (125).
- (2016) Automatic annotation of lecture videos for multimedia driven pedagogical platforms. Knowledge Management & E-Learning: An International Journal. vol. 8 (4).
- (2016) Pedagogical Document Classification and Organization Using Domain Ontology. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 9753.
- (2016) An analysis of social collaboration and networking tools in eLearning. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 9753.
- (2016) Mel Frequency Cepstral Coefficients Based Similar Albanian Phonemes Recognition. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 9734.
- (2016) SEMCON: A semantic and contextual objective metric for enriching domain ontology concepts. International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems. vol. 12 (2).
- (2011) Blackboard content classification for lecture videos. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing.
- (2010) Blind Image Quality Metric For Blackboard Lecture Images. Proceedings of the European Signal Processing Conference.
Part of book/report
- (2018) Performance Analysis of Vehicle Detection Techniques: A Concise Survey. Trends and Advances in Information Systems and Technologies.
- (2018) A Hybrid Concept Learning Approach to Ontology Enrichment. Innovations, Developments, and Applications of Semantic Web and Information Systems.
- (2017) Deep Multi-View Correspondence for Identity-Aware Multi-Target Tracking. 2017 International Conference on Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications (DICTA).
- (2016) An Analysis of Learner Experience with MOOCs in Mobile and Desktop Learning Environment. Advances in Human Factors, Business Management, Training and Education.
- (2016) HoG Based Real-Time Multi-Target Tracking in Bayesian Framework. 2016 13th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Video and Signal Based Surveillance (AVSS).
- (2015) An Intelligent Model for Predicting the Occurrence of Skiing Injuries. 2015 5th National Symposium on Information Technology: Towards New Smart World (NSITNSW); Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 17-19 February, 2015.
- (2015) Document Image Classification using SEMCON. 20th Symposium on Signal Processing, Images and Computer Vision (STSIVA); Conference proceedings, 2-4 September, Bogota, Colombia.
- (2015) A General Framework for Text Document Classification Using SEMCON and ACVSR. Human Interface and the Management of Information. Information and Knowledge Design 17th International Conference, HCI International 2015, Los Angeles, CA, USA, August 2-7, 2015, Proceedings, Part I.
- (2015) Analysis of Online Social Networks Posts to Investigate Suspects Using SEMCON. Social Computing and Social Media 7th International Conference, SCSM 2015, Held as Part of HCI International 2015, Los Angeles, CA, USA, August 2-7, 2015, Proceedings.
- (2015) An Improved Concept Vector Space Model for Ontology Based Classification. SITIS 2015 - The 11th International Conference on Signal Image Technology & Internet System.
- (2015) SEMCON: Semantic and contextual objective metric. Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE 9th International Conference on Semantic Computing.