Anders Lorentzen Kolstad
Background and activities
My main research interest is concerning large herbivores, especially moose, and how they affect the vegetation and ecosystem functioning in boreal production forests. I focus on a wide range of herbivore-vegetation interactions including carbon and nutrient dynamics. An underlying aim of this research is to supply a mechanistic understanding of ecosystem dynamics which can aid and direct the simultaneous management of the multiple ecosystem services which we rely on from our forests.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Increasing Cervidae populations have variable impacts on habitat suitability for threatened forest plant and lichen species. Forest Ecology and Management. vol. 473.
- (2020) Stomping in silence: Conceptualizing trampling effects on soils in polar tundra. Functional Ecology. vol. 00.
- (2020) Cool as a moose: How can browsing counteract climate warming effects across boreal forest ecosystems?. Ecology. vol. 101 (11).
- (2019) Moose effects on soil temperatures, tree canopies, and understory vegetation: a path analysis. Ecosphere. vol. 10:e02966 (12).
- (2019) Long-term changes in northern large-herbivore communities reveal differential rewilding rates in space and time. PLOS ONE. vol. 14 (5).
- (2018) Pervasive moose browsing in boreal forests alters successional trajectories by severely suppressing keystone species. Ecosphere. vol. 9:e02458 (10).
- (2018) Contrasting spatial, temporal and environmental patterns in observation and specimen based species occurrence data. PLOS ONE. vol. 13 (4).
- (2017) Cervid Exclusion Alters Boreal Forest Properties with Little Cascading Impacts on Soils. Ecosystems.
- (2016) Soil fertility and charcoal as determinants of growth and allocation of secondary plant metabolites in seedlings of European beech and Norway spruce. Environmental and Experimental Botany. vol. 131.
Part of book/report
- (2019) Human impact and resource use in Norwegian ecosystems: Socioeconomic development within environmnetal boundaries?. Contributions in natural resource economics. Festschrift to Anders Skonhoft.
- (2020) Uttak av fremmede treslag i verneområder. Etablering av overvåking. 2020. ISBN 978-82-8322-253-1. NTNU Vitenskapsmuseet naturhistorisk rapport (13).
- (2020) Naturtypekartlegging i fire områder i Trøndelag med vekt på de utvalgte naturtypene slåttemark og slåttemyr. 2020. ISBN 978-82-8322-250-0. NTNU Vitenskapsmuseet naturhistorisk notat (10).