Background and activities
I am interested in mechanisms of materials degradation on the atomic and molecular scale, and how these affect macroscopic systems behaviour.
On the method side, the group uses lab-based in situ and operando spectroscopy to study electrochemical processes. We are particularly focused on using applied vibrational spectroscopy (IR, Raman, others) fo investigating structural changes at interfaces.
To get some idea of the research work in our group, check out our publications.
TMT4255/TMM4170 - Corrosion (and Corrosion Protection) (together with Roy Johnsen)
TMT4242 - Steel Offshore (together with Morten Karlsen)
TMT4253 - Electrochemical Process- and Energy Technology (together with Ivana Jevremovic and Geir Martin Haarberg)
MT8102 - Corrosion and Surface Technology
In addition, you can meet me in individual lectures elsewhere, e.g. about vibrational spectroscopy in TMT4166 - Experimental Materials Chemistry and Electrochemistry.
2015-now: Professor in Corrosion and Interface Chemistry, NTNU
2007-2015: Group leader of the Interface Spectroscopy Group at the Max-Planck-Institut für Eisenforschung, Düsseldorf, Germany
2006-2007: Postdoc in the Bio-Nano-Group, Institute of Physics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
2004-2006: Postdoc in the Molecular and Nanoscale Physics Group, School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Leeds, UK
2002-2004: Doctoral student in the Department of Colloid Chemistry, Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Potsdam-Golm, Germany
1997-2001: Student of chemistry at the chemistry department, Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg, Halle(Saale), Germany; Diploma in physical chemistry
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Structural evolution of water and hydroxyl groups during thermal, mechanical and chemical treatment of high purity natural quartz. RSC Advances. vol. 48.
- (2020) Transition Metal-Carbon Bond Enthalpies as Descriptor for the Electrochemical Stability of Transition Metal Carbides in Electrocatalytic Applications. Journal of the Electrochemical Society. vol. 167.
- (2020) Electrochemical contrast switching between black and white appearance of gelatin-covered zinc. JPhys Materials. vol. 3.
- (2020) What is the trigger for the hydrogen evolution reaction? – towards electrocatalysis beyond the Sabatier principle. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 22.
- (2019) Pretreatment with a β-Cyclodextrin-Corrosion Inhibitor Complex Stops an Initiated Corrosion Process on Zinc. Langmuir. vol. 35 (1).
- (2019) The Reassigned Pseudo Wigner-Ville Transform in Electrochemical Noise Analysis. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 21 (44).
- (2019) Atomic level bonding mechanism in steel/aluminum joints produced by cold pressure welding. Materialia. vol. 7.
- (2019) Alkaline manganese electrochemistry studied by in situ and operando spectropscopic methods - metal dissolution, oxide formation and oxygen evolution. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 21.
- (2019) Carbon-sulfur bond cleavage during adsorption of octadecane thiol to copper in ethanol. Langmuir. vol. 35.
- (2019) Optimizing multiple beam interferometry in the surface forces apparatus: Novel optics, reflection mode modeling, metal layer thicknesses, birefringence, and rotation of anisotropic layers. Review of Scientific Instruments. vol. 90 (4).
- (2019) Convection induced by illumination-based metal surface heating increases corrosion potential, corrosion rates. Electrochemistry communications. vol. 106.
- (2018) Cyclodextrin inhibits zinc corrosion by destabilizing point defect formation in the oxide layer. Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology. vol. 9 (1).
- (2018) The multiple roles of an organic corrosion inhibitor on copper investigated by a combination of electrochemistry-coupled optical in situ spectroscopies. Corrosion Science. vol. 145.
- (2018) Detection of intra-band gap defects states in spin-coated sol-gel SnOx nanolayers by photoelectron spectroscopies. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics. vol. 51 (31).
- (2018) Cathodic delamination kinetics of thin polystyrene model coatings bound to zinc via organosilanes. Materials and corrosion - Werkstoffe und Korrosion. vol. 70.
- (2018) Gradient in defect density of ZnO nanorods grown by cathodic delamination, a corrosion process, leads to end-specific luminescence. Nanoscale Horizons. vol. 3 (1).
- (2018) Oxide – organic heterostructures: a case study of charge displacement absence at a SnO<sub>2</sub> – copper phthalocyanine buried interface. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 20 (23).
- (2018) Delamination kinetics of thin film poly(acrylate) model coatings prepared by surface initiated atom transfer radical polymerization on iron. Journal of the Electrochemical Society. vol. 165 (16).
- (2018) Vibrational spectroscopic study of pH dependent solvation at an Ge(100)-water interface during an electrode potential triggered surface termination transition. Journal of Chemical Physics. vol. 148 (22).
- (2018) Adsorption of proteins on the surface of high-quality steel used in the food industry. Chernye Metally.