Background and activities
I am interested in mechanisms of materials degradation on the atomic and molecular scale, and how these affect macroscopic systems behaviour.
On the method side, the group uses lab-based in situ and operando spectroscopy to study electrochemical processes. We are particularly focused on using applied vibrational spectroscopy (IR, Raman, others) fo investigating structural changes at interfaces.
To get some idea of the research work in our group, check out our publications.
TMT4255/TMM4170 - Corrosion (and Corrosion Protection) (together with Roy Johnsen)
TMT4242 - Steel Offshore (together with Morten Karlsen)
TMT4253 - Electrochemical Process- and Energy Technology (together with Ivana Jevremovic and Geir Martin Haarberg)
MT8102 - Corrosion and Surface Technology
In addition, you can meet me in individual lectures elsewhere, e.g. about vibrational spectroscopy in TMT4166 - Experimental Materials Chemistry and Electrochemistry.
2015-now: Professor in Corrosion and Interface Chemistry, NTNU
2007-2015: Group leader of the Interface Spectroscopy Group at the Max-Planck-Institut für Eisenforschung, Düsseldorf, Germany
2006-2007: Postdoc in the Bio-Nano-Group, Institute of Physics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
2004-2006: Postdoc in the Molecular and Nanoscale Physics Group, School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Leeds, UK
2002-2004: Doctoral student in the Department of Colloid Chemistry, Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Potsdam-Golm, Germany
1997-2001: Student of chemistry at the chemistry department, Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg, Halle(Saale), Germany; Diploma in physical chemistry
- TMT4500 - Materials Technology, Specialization Project
- MM8444 - Advanced Nanoscale Surface Dynamic Processes
- TMM4170 - Corrosion
- TMT4253 - Electrochemical Process and Energy Technology
- TMM4204 - Nanoscale Surface Dynamic Processes
- TMT4242 - Steel Offshore
- MT8216 - Microstructure and Properties During Thermomechanical Processing - Phenomena and theoretical models
- MT8110 - Electrochemical Methods
- TMT4255 - Corrosion and Corrosion Protection
- MT8102 - Corrosion and Surface Technology
- TMT4166 - Experimental Materials Chemistry and Electrochemistry
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Controlling amphipathic peptide adsorption by smart switchable germanium interfaces. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 24 (8).
- (2022) Powering a Microprocessor by Photosynthesis. Energy & Environmental Science. vol. 15.
- (2022) Engineering gold-platinum core-shell nanoparticles by self-limitation in solution. Communications chemistry. vol. 5.
- (2022) Microwave-assisted in situ laser dye incorporation into high sensitivity whispering gallery mode microresonators. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics. vol. 55.
- (2022) A Children’s Health Perspective on Nano- and Microplastics. Environmental Health Perspectives. vol. 130 (1).
- (2022) Photocorrosion of n- and p-Type Semiconducting Oxide-Covered Metals: Case Studies of Anodized Titanium and Copper. Physica Status Solidi (a) applications and materials science.
- (2021) Fluorescent Nanocomposites: Hollow Silica Microspheres with Embedded Carbon Dots. ChemPlusChem. vol. 86 (1).
- (2021) In situ high temperature spectroscopic study of liquid inclusions and hydroxyl groups in high purity natural quartz. Minerals Engineering. vol. 174.
- (2021) Chromium coatings from trivalent chromium plating baths: Characterization and cathodic delamination behaviour. Corrosion Science. vol. 187.
- (2021) Time-Evolved SERS Signatures of DEP-Trapped Aβ and Zn<sup>2+</sup>Aβ Peptides Revealed by a Sub-10 nm Electrode Nanogap. Analytical Chemistry. vol. 93 (49).
- (2021) Hole annihilation vs. induced convection: Breakdown of different contributions to the photocorrosion mechanism of oxide-covered iron. Corrosion Science. vol. 185.
- (2021) Limiting Current Density of Oxygen Reduction under Ultrathin Electrolyte Layers: From the Micrometer Range to Monolayers. ChemElectroChem. vol. 8 (4).
- (2020) Structural evolution of water and hydroxyl groups during thermal, mechanical and chemical treatment of high purity natural quartz. RSC Advances. vol. 48.
- (2020) Transition Metal-Carbon Bond Enthalpies as Descriptor for the Electrochemical Stability of Transition Metal Carbides in Electrocatalytic Applications. Journal of the Electrochemical Society. vol. 167.
- (2020) Electrochemical contrast switching between black and white appearance of gelatin-covered zinc. JPhys Materials. vol. 3 (2).
- (2020) Sub-surface modifications in silicon with ultra-short pulsed lasers above 2 µm. Journal of the Optical Society of America. B, Optical physics. vol. 37 (9).
- (2020) What is the trigger for the hydrogen evolution reaction? – towards electrocatalysis beyond the Sabatier principle. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 22 (16).
- (2019) Pretreatment with a β-Cyclodextrin-Corrosion Inhibitor Complex Stops an Initiated Corrosion Process on Zinc. Langmuir. vol. 35 (1).
- (2019) The Reassigned Pseudo Wigner-Ville Transform in Electrochemical Noise Analysis. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 21 (44).
- (2019) Atomic level bonding mechanism in steel/aluminum joints produced by cold pressure welding. Materialia. vol. 7.