Background and activities
My research interest is in industrial organization, regulation and competition in energy and resource markets applying mainly empirical methods. I am active in the research centers FME Mozees, FME NTRANS, FME ZEN and am the Director of Research within the 'Energy Transition Initiative' at NTNU. In addition, I have served (and continue to serve) as reviewer for the NRC, Academy of Finland, DFG, Humboldt Foundation, and several peer-reviewed journals. As an economist by training I received my PhD from Technische Universïtät Dresden (Germany) and held professorships in Potsdam, Chemnitz and NHH Bergen before joining NTNU as full professor.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
- (2020) The challenges of spatial and temporal aggregation: Modelling issues, applications, and policy implications. Utilities Policy. vol. 62.
- (2020) Beyond the Inverted U-Shape: Challenging the Long-Term Relationship of the Environmental Kuznets Curve Hypothesis. Economics of Energy & Environmental Policy. vol. 9 (2).
- (2019) Democratic quality and nuclear power: Reviewing the global determinants for the introduction of nuclear energy in 166 countries. Energy Research & Social Science. vol. 63.
- (2016) Stationary Changes in Long-Run Energy Commodity Prices. Energy Economics. vol. 59.
- (2016) Estimating Alternative Technology Sets in Nonparametric Efficiency Analysis: Restriction Tests for Panel and Clustered Data. Journal of Productivity Analysis. vol. 45 (1).
- (2016) Stationarity Changes in Long-Run Energy Commodity Prices. Energy Economics. vol. 59.
- (2015) Natural Gas: An Overview of a Lower-Carbon Transformation Fuel. Review of Environmental Economics and Policy. vol. 9 (1).
- (2015) Removing Cross-Border Capacity Bottlenecks in the European Natural Gas Market - A Proposed Merchant-Regulatory Mechanism. Networks and Spatial Economics. vol. 15 (1).
- (2012) What’s the Story with Natural Gas Markets in Europe? Empirical Evidence from Spot Trade Data. International Conference on the European Energy Market.
- (2012) The Globalization of Steam Coal Markets and the Role of Logistics: An Empirical Analysis. Energy Economics. vol. 42 (1).
- (2010) Access Pricing and Network Expansion in Natural Gas Markets. Zeitschrift für Energiewirtschaft. vol. 34 (3).
- (2010) Overcoming Data Limitations in Nonparametric Benchmarking: Applying PCA-DEA to Natural Gas Transmission. Review of Network Economics. vol. 9 (2).
- (2009) Linking natural gas markets: Is LNG doing its job?. Energy Journal. vol. 30.
- (2009) Linking Alternative Theories of the Firm – A First Empirical Application to the Liquefied Natural Gas Industry. Journal of Institutional Economics. vol. 5 (1).
- (2009) Does the European Natural Gas Market Pass the Competitive Benchmark of the Theory of Storage? Indirect Tests for Three Major Trading Points. Energy Policy. vol. 37 (12).
- (2009) Divestiture as an Instrument of a Pro-active Competition Policy: Conceptual Issues and Lessons from International Experiences. Electricity Journal. vol. 23 (3).
- (2008) The Prospects for Liquefied Natural Gas Development in the US Energy Policy. Energy Policy. vol. 36 (8).
- (2008) Long-Term Contracts and Asset Specificity Revisited: An Empirical Analysis of Producer-Importer Relations in the Natural Gas Industry. Review of Industrial Organization. vol. 32 (2).
- (2008) Horizontale Entflechtung als aktiveWettbewerbspolitik. Wirtschaftsdienst. vol. 88 (5).
- (2007) Wettbewerb im Ferntransport von Erdgas? Technisch-ökonomische Grundlagen und Anwendung auf Deutschland. Zeitschrift für Energiewirtschaft. vol. 31 (3).
- (2006) Convergence of European Spot Market Prices for Natural Gas? A Real-Time Analysis of Market Integration Using the Kalman Filter. Applied Economics Letters. vol. 13 (11).
- (2005) International Market Integration for Gas? Cointegration Analysis of Gas Prices in Europe, North America and Japan. Energy Economics. vol. 27 (4).
- (2004) Less Long Term Gas to Europe? A Quantitative Analysis of European Long Term Gas-Supply Contracts. Zeitschrift für Energiewirtschaft. vol. 28 (3).