Anne Trine Kjørholt
Background and activities
Professor in Child and childhood research, and in education, aesthetics and leadership.Head of the interfacultary research program; Norway as a sea nation. Coastal communities, generation, sustainability withi one of NTNUs thematic research priorities; Ocean Space (2016-2023) Affiliated professor at University College South East Norway since 2015. Director of Norwegian Centre for Child Research 2002- 2015. Affilated professor at National Museum of Ethnology, Osaka, Japan 2011-2016, and invited guest researcher at Oxford University (2013-2017). Graduated with a doctoral degree at NTNU in 2003 with the thesis title “Childhood as a Social and Symbolic Space: Discourses on Children as Social Participants in Society”. Project leader for many external funded research projects, among them: Valuing the past, sustaining the future. Education, knowledge and identities across three generations in coastal communities (RCN 2016-2021), Children as New Citizens and the Best Interest of the Child - Challenges for Modern Democracies (RCN 2005-2009); The modern child and the flexible labour market (together with Jens Qvortrup, RCN 2003-2008); Children, young people and local knowledge in Ethiopia and Zambia (SIU, NUFU 2007-2011), Effects of Civil Society on early childhood education and care in Ethiopia and Zambia, (Norad 2011-2016) Academic leader for the establishment and coordination of the international master’s programme (MPhil) Childhood Studies (2006-2013) and PhD in Interdisciplinary Child Research (2006-2014).
- Discourses on childhood
- Children’s rights and perspectives
- Children’s cultures
- Early childhood education and care
- Children’s welfare, time and space
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) The place of children among the Guji of southern Ethiopia: school, work and play. Children's Geographies. vol. 13 (2).
- (2013) Childhood as Social Investment, Rights and the Valuing of Education. Children & society. vol. 27 (4).
- (2009) Social Actors and Victims of Exploitation. Working children in the cash economy of Ethiopia's South. Childhood. vol. 16 (2).
- (2007) Why Children? Why Now?. Children's Geographies. vol. 5 (1-2).
- (2007) Childhood as a Symbolic Space: Searching for Authentic Voices in the Era of Globalisation. Children's Geographies. vol. 5 (1-2).
- (2005) Children, food consumption and culture in the Nordic countries. Barn. vol. 23 (1).
- (2004) Presentasjon av prosjektet "Det moderne barn og det fleksible arbeidsmarked". Barn. vol. 22 (1).
- (2004) Det moderne barn og det fleksible arbeidsmarked institusjonalisering og individualisering av barn i lys av endringer i velferdsstaten : en prosjektbeskrivelse. Barn.
- (2003) Creating a Place to Belong.Girls' and Boys' Hutbuilding as a Site for Understanding Discourses on Childhood and Generational Relations in a Norwegian Community. Children's Geographies. vol. 1 (2).
- (2002) Small is powerful.Discourses on 'children and participation' in Norway. Childhood. vol. 9 (1).
- (2001) 'The Participating Child' - A vital pillar in this century?. Nordisk Pedagogik. vol. 21 (2).
- (2019) Early Childhood and Development work. Theories, Policies and Practices. Palgrave Macmillan. 2019. ISBN 978-3-319-91318-6.
- (2013) Childhood and Local Knowledge in Ethiopia: Livelihoods, Rights and Intergenerational Relationships. Akademika forlag. 2013. ISBN 9788251928533.
- (2012) The modern child and the flexible labour market. Early childhood education and care. Palgrave Macmillan. 2012. ISBN 978-0-230-57932-3. Studies in Childhood and Youth (-).
- (2010) Barn som samfunnsborgere - til barnets beste?. Universitetsforlaget. 2010. ISBN 978-82-15-01638-2.
- (2009) Children, food and identity in everyday life. Palgrave Macmillan. 2009. ISBN 978-0-230-57599-8.
- (2008) Global Childhoods: Globalization, Development and Young People. Routledge. 2008. ISBN 0-415-41145-9.
- (2007) Flexible childhood? Exploring children's welfare in time and space. Volume 2 of COST A19: Children's welfare. Syddansk Universitetsforlag. 2007. ISBN 97-887-7674-202-7.
- (2005) Beyond listening. Children's perspectives on early childhood services. Policy Press. 2005. ISBN 1861346123.
Part of book/report
- (2019) Early Childhood and Children's Rights. A Critical Perspective. Early Childhood and Development work. Theories, Policies and Practices.