Background and activities
PhD, Professor in International Marketing. Fields of interest: entrepreneurship, innovation, economic development, and global production systems.
Telephone: +47 735 97603
Office: 432 - Central Building II
- Leader for Green Value Creation - the departments research focus area on sustainability.
- Coordinator for NTNU's masters level specialization in Strategy and Business Development ( INDØK).
Aspelund's research interests are predominantly on profitable sustainability and how industry can go through the green shift and still develop their competitiveness. This work draws on insight from the fields of innovation, entrepreneurship, marketing and operation management.
Arild Aspelund teaches undergraduate courses in marketing management, graduate courses in industrial marketing and international business and several courses for executive education programs such as Master of Technlogy Management (MTM) and Master of Management (MORG).
Arild Aspelund became Professor in International Marketing at NTNU in 2011. He received his PhD from NTNU in April 2005 for the thesis titled: “Small International Firms: - The Emergence of International New Ventures”. He is also Master of Science in Industrial Economics and Technology Management from the same institution. Previous educational background also includes MIT Sloan School of Management, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Harvard Business School, Boston, Massachusetts, and Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Génie Industriel, Grenoble, France as well as studies in Mathematics and Physics from Molde University College and NTNU
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Bærekraftig omstilling og konkurransekraft i norsk industri - hvem drar lasset?. Magma - Tidsskrift for økonomi og ledelse. vol. 5.
- (2020) Knowledge integration in international SMEs – The effects on firm innovation and performance. Cogent Business & Management. vol. 7 (1).
- (2020) An investigation of leaders' motivation, intellectual leadership, and sustainability strategy in relation to Norwegian manufacturers’ performance. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 254.
- (2020) Sustainability innovations and firm competitiveness: A review. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 280 (1).
- (2019) Managerial rationales for investing and divesting under uncertainty. Cogent Business & Management. vol. 6 (1).
- (2017) The birth and development of a Born Global industry: The case of microelectronics in Norway. Journal of International Entrepreneurship.
- (2017) Doing good and doing well? International Entrepreneurship and Social Responsibility. International Journal of Entrepreneurship (IJE). vol. 21 (2).
- (2015) Entrepreneurial judgment and value capture, the case of the nascent offshore renewable industry. Sustainability. vol. 7 (11).
- (2014) Multi-plant improvement programmes: a literature review and research agenda. International Journal of Operations & Production Management. vol. 34 (3).
- (2013) Company-specific production systems and competitive advantage: A resource-based view on the Volvo Production System. International Journal of Operations & Production Management. vol. 33 (11-12).
- (2012) International New Ventures and Governance Structures – Are International Entrepreneurs Strategic or Entrepreneurial?. Journal of Management and Governance. vol. 16 (1).
- (2012) The role of the entrepreneurial team and the board of directors in the internationalization of academic spin-offs. Journal of International Entrepreneurship. vol. 10 (4).
- (2012) Start-Up Valuation by Venture Capitalists: An Empirical Study. Venture Capital : an International Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance. vol. 14 (2-3).
- (2010) Small and middle-sized enterprises' offshoring production: a study of firm decisions and consequences. Tijdschrift voor economische en sociale geografie. vol. 101 (3).
- (2009) The Role of Innovative and Entrepreneurial Behavior in Internationalization Processes. Advances in International Marketing. vol. 20.
- (2008) The Hybrid Structures of International New Ventures - A Social Capital Approach and Research Agenda. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation. vol. 9 (1).
- (2008) The importance of the Internet in international business-to-business markets. International Marketing Review. vol. 25 (5).
- (2007) A review of the foundation, international marketing strategies and performance of international new ventures. European Journal of Marketing. vol. 41 (11-12).
- (2005) Small International Firms: Typology, Performance and Implications. Management International Review (MIR). vol. 45 (3).
- (2005) Initial Resources' Influence on New Venture Survival: A Longitudinal Study of New Technology-Based Firms. Technovation. vol. 25.