Background and activities
My research is focused on how to make images of the interior of the solid earth by the use of seismic waves. I participate in trying to solve the so-called Seismic Inverse problem where movement (and pressure) induced at the surface by seismic waves can be transformed into models of mechanic properties like compressibility and shear modulus.
One of the seismic inverse methods I have worked with in the past is Full Waveform Inversion which I now try to use to obtain the structure of the Lithosphere-Asthenosphere boundary.
I teach Seismic Data processing (TPG4190)
Date of birth: May 5, 1957
- MSc, Physics, 1982, AVH
- PhD, Physics, 1991, AVH
- 1982-1989: Research Physicist, IKU Petroleum Research
- 1989-1991: PhD Stipendiate funded by the Norwegian Research Council
- 1991-2008: Staff Geophysicist, Statoil Research Centre
- 1997-1998: Visiting Scientist, OGS, Trieste
- 2008- present : Professor Petroleum Geophysics, NTNU
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Elastodynamic full waveform inversion on GPUs with time-space tiling and wavefield reconstruction. Journal of Supercomputing.
- (2020) Wavefield reconstruction for velocity–stress elastodynamic full-waveform inversion. Geophysical Journal International. vol. 222 (1).
- (2019) Deep electrical imaging of the ultraslow-spreading Mohns Ridge. Nature. vol. 567.
- (2019) Time lapse seismic analysis of the Tohoku-Oki 2011 earthquake. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 82.
- (2019) Elastic wave-equation migration velocity analysis preconditioned through mode decoupling. Geophysics. vol. 84 (3).
- (2018) Up- and downgoing borehole wavefield retrieval using single component borehole and reflection data. Journal of Applied Geophysics. vol. 155.
- (2018) How to adapt numerical simulation of wave propagation and ultrasonic laboratory experiments to be comparable — A case study for a complex topographic model. Geophysics. vol. 83 (4).
- (2018) CO2 saturation estimates at Sleipner (North Sea) from seismic tomography and rock physics inversion. Geophysical Prospecting. vol. 67 (4).
- (2017) A new approach to separate seismic time-lapse time shifts in the reservoir and overburden. Geophysics. vol. 82 (6).
- (2017) Challenges and solutions for performing 3D time-domain elastic full-waveform inversion. The Leading Edge. vol. 36 (1).
- (2017) Rock physics inversion for CO2 injection at Sleipner. 4IWRP proceedings.
- (2016) New method for discriminating 4D time shifts in the overburden and reservoir. SEG technical program expanded abstracts. vol. 55 (3521).
- (2016) Retrieving virtual reflection responses at drill-bit positions using seismic interferometry with drill-bit noise. Geophysical Prospecting. vol. 64 (2).
- (2016) Combination of surface and borehole seismic data for robust target-oriented imaging. Geophysical Journal International. vol. 205 (2).
- (2016) Surface seismic monitoring while drilling using diffractions - concept and field data example. SEG technical program expanded abstracts. vol. 35.
- (2016) Integrated seismic and electromagnetic model building applied to improve subbasalt depth imaging in the Faroe-Shetland Basin. Geophysics. vol. 81 (1).
- (2016) Scalar and vector imaging based on wave mode decoupling for elastic reverse time migration in isotropic and transversely isotropic media. Geophysics. vol. 81 (5).
- (2015) Data-driven deep local imaging using both surface and borehole seismic data. Society of Exploration Geophysicists. Expanded Abstracts with Biographies.
- (2015) A numerical study of 3D elastic time-lapse full-waveform inversion using multicomponent seismic data. Geophysics. vol. 80 (6).
- (2015) Three-dimensional elastic full waveform inversion using seismic data from the Sleipner area. Geophysical Journal International. vol. 202 (3).