Background and activities
Main area of research is work, family and care policies with a special focus on fathering and parental leave. Another area of interest is rural gender studies.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Workplace support of fathers’ parental leave use in Norway. Community, Work and Family. vol. 22 (1).
- (2018) Farmers framing fatherhood: everyday life and rural change. Agriculture and Human Values.
- (2018) Enabling or promoting gender equality through parental leave policies. Revista Espanola de Sociologia. vol. 27 (3 Sup).
- (2018) Fathers' sense of entitlement to shared and ear-marked parental leave. Sociological Review.
- (2018) Masculinity and Fathering Alone during Parental Leave. Men and Masculinities. vol. 21 (1).
- (2017) The co-location of home and work in two generations of farmers: what effects on fathering practices?. Families, Relationships and Societies. vol. 6 (3).
- (2016) Rural masculinities and fathering practices. Gender, Place & Culture: A Journal of Feminist Geography. vol. 23 (3).
- (2016) Individualized,non-transferable parental leave for European fathers. Migrant perspectives. Community, Work and Family. vol. 20 (1).
- (2016) Les pères congé parental en Norwège. Changements et continuités. Politiques sociales et familiales. vol. 122.
- (2015) Gender quotas for agricultural boards: changing constructions of gender?. Gender, Work & Organization. vol. 22 (6).
- (2015) Fathers and flexible parental leave. Work, Employment and Society. vol. 30 (2).
- (2015) Trends in parental leave in the Nordic countries: Has the forward march of gender equality halted?. Community, Work and Family. vol. 18 (2).
- (2015) When farm couples break up: gendered moralities, gossip and the fear of stigmatisation in rural communities. Sociologia Ruralis. vol. 55 (2).
- (2015) Farm, family, and myself: farm women dealing with family break-up. Gender, Place & Culture: A Journal of Feminist Geography. vol. 22 (1).
- (2014) Embodying the Rural Idyll in Farm Tourist Hosting. Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism. vol. 14 (2).
- (2013) Resourcing Children in a Changing Rural Context: Fathering and Farm Succession in Two Generations of Farmers. Sociologia Ruralis. vol. 53 (1).
- (2013) Mellom hjem og barnehage: Likestilling i det tredje skiftet. Tidsskrift for kjønnsforskning. vol. 37 (3-4).
- (2012) Farm tourism and dilemmas of commercial activity in the home. Hospitality & Society. vol. 2 (2).
- (2012) Gårdsturisme på hjemmesider: trender, blikk og paradokser. Sosiologisk Tidsskrift. vol. 20 (1).
- (2011) Farm diversification into tourism - Implications for social identity?. Journal of Rural Studies. vol. 27 (1).
- (2010) Visitors to Farm Tourism Enterprises in Norway. Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism. vol. 10 (1).
- (2010) Doing Farm Tourism: The Intertwining Practices of Gender and Work. Signs. vol. 35 (2).
- (2010) "The Future can only be Imagined" - Innovation in Farm Tourism from a Phenomenological Perspective. The Open Social Science Journal. vol. 3.
- (2009) Gendered or Gender-Neutral Care Politics for Fathers?. The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science. vol. 624 (1).
- (2007) Gendered Work in Family Farm Tourism. Journal of Comparative Family Studies. vol. 38 (3).
- (2007) Fathers, Work and Family Life: global perspectives and new insights. Community, Work and Family. vol. 10 (4).
- (2006) Agricultural body-building: Incorporations of gender, body and work. Journal of Rural Studies. vol. 22 (4).
- (2005) Doing rural masculinity - from logging to outfield tourism. Journal of Gender Studies. vol. 14 (1).
- (2005) Fedres valgfrihet og arbeidslivets tidskulturer. Tidsskrift for samfunnsforskning. vol. 46 (1).
- (2005) Text, Body, and Tools. Changing Mediations of Rural Masculinity. Men and Masculinities. vol. 8 (2).
- (2004) Women in forestry: Dilemmas of a separate women's organization. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research. vol. 19 (5).
- (2002) Gender identity in European family farming: a literature review. Sociologia Ruralis. vol. 42 (3).
- (2017) Work-Family Dynamics : Competing logics of regulation, economy and morals. Routledge. 2017. ISBN 978-1-138-86007-0.
- (2015) Feminisms and Ruralities. Lexington Books. 2015. ISBN 978-0739188217.
- (2013) Fedrekvoten og den farsvennlige velferdsstaten. Universitetsforlaget. 2013. ISBN 978-82-15-02189-8.
- (2010) Föräldraledighet, omsorgspolitik och jämställdhet i Norden. 2010. ISBN 978-92-893-2163-1.
- (2005) Valgfrihetens tid. Gyldendal Akademisk. 2005. ISBN 8205345295.
- (2005) Gender, bodies and work. 2005.
- (2003) Fleksible fedre. Maskulinitet, arbeid, velferdsstat. Universitetsforlaget. 2003. ISBN 82-15-00100-9.
Part of book/report
- (2019) Flexibility: Some consequences for fathers' caregiving. Parental Leave and Beyond. Recent international developments, current issues and future directions.
- (2019) Gender equality: Parental leave design and evaluating its effects on fathers' participation. Parental Leave and Beyond. Recent international developments, current issues and future directions.
- (2017) Farm fathers and their fathers: Flexible work and cultural change. Family Continuity and Change: Contemporary European Perspectives.
- (2017) Fathers integrating work and childcare: reconciling the logics?. Work-Family Dynamics : Competing logics of regulation, economy and morals.
- (2017) Gender Identities and Divorce among Farmers in Norway. Gender and Rural Globalization - International Perspectives on Gender and Rural Development.
- (2017) Fathers on Leave Alone in Norway: Changees and Continuities. Comparative Perspectives on Work-Life Balance and Gender Equality.
- (2016) Rural Masculinity. Routledge International Handbook of Rural Studies.
- (2015) Paradoxes of a Women's Organization in the Forestry Industry. Feminisms and Ruralities.
- (2015) Parental leave and classed fathering practices in Norway. Fatherhood in the Nordic Welfare States.
- (2013) Taming the Village Beast: Rural Entrepreneurship as the art of balance between economic growth and social sustainability. Fertile Links? Connections between tourism activities, socioeconomic contexts and local development in European rural areas.
- (2013) Fedrekvotens valgfrihet og fleksibilitet. Fedrekvoten og den farsvennlige velferdsstaten.
- (2013) Farming fathers between work and care in Norway - an intergenerational study. Women, Men and Children in Families. Private Troubles and Public Issues.
- (2012) Emotional Dimensions of Fathering and Work-Life Boundaries. Men, Wage Work and Family.
- (2012) Free choice or gentle force? How can parental leave change gender practices?. The modern child and the flexible labour market. Early childhood education and care.
- (2011) Family policies and the best interest of children. Parental leave, childcare and gender equality in the Nordic countries.
- (2009) Norway: the making of the father's quota. The politics of parental leave policies.
- (2006) Embodying family farm work. Rural Gender Relations. Issues and Case Studies.
- (2006) Care politics for fathers in a flexible time culture. Gender Divisions and Working Time in the New Economy.