Bjørn Henning Grønberg
Background and activities
Physician and specialist in oncology, both medical oncology and radiotherapy. Main research activity is focused on international, randomized, clinical intervention trials. The other main research area is the clinical role of liquid biopsies in lung cancer.
Other research topics include health related quality of life, older cancer patients, body composition and patient information.
Medical doctor, University of Bergen, 1994
Specialist in Oncology, St. Olavs Hospital, Trondheim University Hospital, 2001
PhD in Clinical Medicine, NTNU, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, 2010
Full professor, Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine, NTNU
Consultant in oncology, Cancer Clinic, St. Olav's Hospital, Trondheim university hospital (10% position)
Member of the Norwegian Board of Medical Experts for Patients with Life-Threatening Diseases (10% position)
Member of the board of the Norwegian Lung Cancer Study Group
Main research interests:
Lung cancer, especially small-cell lung cancer (SCLC), both medical treatment and radiotherapy.
Prognostic and predictive role of ctDNA-analyses in lung cancer patients.
Associations between comorbidity, frailty, functional status and treatment outcomes in cancer patients.
Main research projects:
Clinical role of ctDNA and miRNA analyses in lung cancer patients (https://www.ntnu.no/ikom/biopsi) funded by the Norwegian Cancer Society and The Liaison Committee for Education, Research and Innovation in Central Norway
Randomized trial comparing standard dose with high dose thoracic radiotherapy in limited stage small-cell lung cancer funded by the Norwegian Cancer Society and The Liaison Committee for Education, Research and Innovation in Central Norway
Randomized trial investigating whether adding atezolizumab after chemo-radiotherapy improves survival in limited stage small-cell lung cancer (https://www.ntnu.edu/ikom/achiles-trial) funded by the Norwegian Cancer Society and Roche
Randomized trial investigating whether adding thoracic radiotherapy to chemo-immunotherapy improves survival in extensive stage small-cell lung cancer funded by the Norwegian program for clinical research and AstraZeneca.
2 post-doctors, 16 PhD-students, and 15 medical students.
- Leader of the Cancer and palliative care research group (https://www.ntnu.no/ikom/kreftpalliasjon#/view/about) and Leader of the Translational cancer research unit (https://www.ntnu.no/ikom/transkreft) at the Department of clinical and molecular medicine, NTNU
- Responsibility for treatment of lung cancer patients at the Cancer Clinic, St. Olav's Hospital.
- Evaluation committee for the Cancer Fund at St. Olav's hospital (2010-).
- Evaluation of Norwegian guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of cancer at the Norwegian Directorate of Health (2010-13).
- Working group establishing the Norwegian Lung Cancer Quality Registry (2013-14).
- Working group developing guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of CNS-tumors and lung cancer (2014-).
- Comittee for the Clinical Research Program at the Norwegian Research Council (2014-16).
- Working groups developing strategy for Personalized medicine in Norway (2015-18).
- Ad hoc reviewer for Lancet, Lancet Oncology, Annals of Oncology, European Journal of Cancer, Journal of Thoracic Oncology, etc.
- NLCG, Norwegian Lung Cancer Study Group (nlcg.no)
- IASCL, International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer
- ASCO, American Society of Clinical Oncology
- ESMO, European Society for Medical Oncology
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Adaptor Template Oligo-Mediated Sequencing (ATOM-Seq) is a new ultra-sensitive UMI-based NGS library preparation technology for use with cfDNA and cfRNA. Scientific Reports.
- (2021) Intracranial effect of osimertinib in relapsed EGFR-mutated T790M-positive and -negative non-small cell lung cancer patients: results from a phase II study. Acta Oncologica.
- (2021) Geriatric impairments are prevalent and predictive of survival in older patients with cancer receiving radiotherapy: a prospective observational study. Acta Oncologica.
- (2021) High-dose versus standard-dose twice-daily thoracic radiotherapy for patients with limited stage small-cell lung cancer: an open-label, randomised, phase 2 trial. The Lancet Oncology. vol. 22 (3).
- (2021) Liquid Biopsies in Solid Cancers: Implementation in a Nordic Healthcare System. Cancers. vol. 13 (8).
- (2021) Associations between tumor mutations in cfDNA and survival in non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Treatment and Research Communications. vol. 29.
- (2021) Associations Between Time to Treatment Start and Survival in Patients With Lung Cancer. In Vivo. vol. 35 (3).
- (2021) The prognostic effect of KRAS mutations in non-small cell lung carcinoma revisited: A norwegian multicentre study. Cancers. vol. 13 (17).
- (2021) Prognostic value of absolute quantification of mutated KRAS in circulating tumour DNA in lung adenocarcinoma patients prior to therapy. The journal of pathology. Clinical research.
- (2020) Osimertinib in T790M-positive and -negative patients with EGFR-mutated advanced non-small cell lung cancer (the TREM-study). Lung Cancer. vol. 143.
- (2020) Randomized phase III trial comparing switch-maintenance pemetrexed with observation followed by pemetrexed at progression in advanced NSCLC. Acta Oncologica.
- (2020) Associations between muscle measures, survival and toxicity in patients with limited disease small cell lung cancer. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle. vol. 11 (5).
- (2020) CT Derived Muscle Measures, Inflammation, and Frailty in a Cohort of Older Cancer Patients. In Vivo. vol. 34 (6).
- (2020) The relevance of tumor mutation profiling in interpretation of NGS data from cell-free DNA in non-small cell lung cancer patients. Experimental and molecular pathology (Print). vol. 112C:104347.
- (2020) Timing of severe toxicity from chemotherapy in patients with lung cancer. Anticancer Research. vol. 40 (11).
- (2020) Changes in muscle measures during chemoradiotherapy in patients with limited stage small cell lung cancer. JCSM Clinical Reports.
- (2019) Associations between severe co-morbidity and muscle measures in advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle.
- (2019) Modifiable factors affecting older patients' quality of life and physical function during cancer treatment. Journal of Geriatric Oncology. vol. 10 (6).
- (2019) Frailty identified by geriatric assessment is associated with poor functioning, high symptom burden and increased risk of physical decline in older cancer patients: Prospective observational study. Palliative Medicine. vol. 33 (3).
- (2019) Autocrine activin A signalling in ovarian cancer cells regulates secretion of interleukin 6, autophagy, and cachexia. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle.