Bjørn Henning Grønberg
Background and activities
Physician and specialist in Oncology. Consultant at the Cancer Clinic, St. Olavs Hospital, Trondheim University Hospital, with the responsibility of lung cancer therapy. Main position as researcher at the Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, NTNU, Norwegian University of Science and Technology. Main research activity is clinical lung cancer research, but also conduct research on health-related quality of life, cancer in the elderly, body composition, and patient information. Has established a translational research group focusing on liquid biopsies in cancer patients.
- Medical doctor, University of Bergen, 1994
- Specialist in Oncology, St. Olavs Hospital, Trondheim University Hospital, 2001
- PhD in Clinical Medicine, NTNU, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, 2010
Main research interests:
- Lung cancer
- Geriatric oncology
- Nordic randomized phase II study comparing two schedules of hyperfractionated thoracic radiotherapy in limited disease small-cell lung cancer
- International randomized phase II trial of the survival benefit of atezolizumab after chemoradiotherapy in limited disease small-cell lung cancer
- The prognostic and predictive role of ctDNA-analyses in lung cancer patients
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) The relevance of tumor mutation profiling in interpretation of NGS data from cell-free DNA in non-small cell lung cancer patients. Experimental and molecular pathology (Print). vol. 112C.
- (2019) Associations between severe co-morbidity and muscle measures in advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle.
- (2019) Modifiable factors affecting older patients' quality of life and physical function during cancer treatment. Journal of Geriatric Oncology. vol. 10 (6).
- (2019) Frailty identified by geriatric assessment is associated with poor functioning, high symptom burden and increased risk of physical decline in older cancer patients: Prospective observational study. Palliative Medicine. vol. 33 (3).
- (2019) Autocrine activin A signalling in ovarian cancer cells regulates secretion of interleukin 6, autophagy, and cachexia. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle.
- (2019) Reasons for prolonged time for diagnostic workup for stage I-II lung cancer and estimated effect of applying an optimized pathway for diagnostic procedures. BMC Health Services Research. vol. 19:679 (1).
- (2018) Cancer patients' knowledge about their disease and treatment before, during and after treatment: a prospective, longitudinal study. BMC Cancer. vol. 18:381.
- (2018) Substantial nation-wide improvement in lung cancer relative survival in Norway from 2000 to 2016. Lung Cancer. vol. 122.
- (2018) A comparison of CT based measures of skeletal muscle mass and density from the Th4 and L3 levels in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
- (2018) Screening for frailty among older patients with cancer using blood biomarkers of inflammation. Journal of Geriatric Oncology.
- (2018) Associations between hematologic toxicity and health-related quality of life during first-line chemotherapy in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a pooled analysis of two randomized trials. Acta Oncologica. vol. 57 (11).
- (2018) Expression of estrogen receptor-α and survival in advanced-stage non-small cell lung cancer. Anticancer Research. vol. 38 (4).
- (2018) Survival in Limited Disease Small Cell Lung Cancer According to N3 Lymph Node Involvement. Anticancer Research. vol. 38 (2).
- (2017) Muscle mass and association to quality of life in non-small cell lung cancer patients. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle. vol. 8.
- (2017) Geriatric assessment is superior to oncologists’ clinical judgement in identifying frailty. British Journal of Cancer. vol. 117 (4).
- (2017) Measurement of health-related quality of life during chemotherapy -the importance of timing. Acta Oncologica. vol. 56 (5).
- (2017) Livskvalitet under cellegiftbehandling -betydning av måletidspunkt. Best Practice Onkologi/Hematologi.
- (2017) Postoperative neoadjuvant temozolomide before radiotherapy versus standard radiotherapy in patients 60 years or younger with anaplastic astrocytoma or glioblastoma: a randomized trial. Acta Oncologica. vol. 56 (12).
- (2017) Cancer cachexia associates with a systemic autophagy-inducing activity mimicked by cancer cell-derived IL-6 trans-signaling. Scientific Reports. vol. 7 (1).
- (2017) Drug Dose Per Kilogram Lean Body Mass Predicts Hematologic Toxicity From Carboplatin-Doublet Chemotherapy in Advanced Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. Clinical Lung Cancer. vol. 18 (2).