Background and activities
Bjørn Otto Braaten is associate professor at the Department of Architectural Design and Management at the Faculty of Architecture and Fine Arts, NTNU. From January 2014 he is leader of the program-committee for Master in Architecture.
He graduated as architect form the Faculty of Architecture at the Norwegian Technical University (NTH) in 1986 and worked at different architect studios in Tromsø, before establisheding 70°N architecture together with Gisle Løkken and Kjeld Nash in 1994. From 1991-2001 he was regularly teaching at Bergen School of Architecture.
In 2001 he started full time teaching at the Faculty of Architecture and Fine Arts, NTNU in Trondheim. The main field of his research concerns deep structures in architecture and transformative learning. A comprehensive empirical material of the individual work of first year students (from 2001-2006) is systemized and analyzed. What is discovered is expressions of liminality and basic patterns of space related to transformative learning processes. On basis of this work he is developing the workpackage “Complexity & Depth” as a part of the TRANSark project that deals with transformative learning.
Braaten is also involved in teaching and research connected to full scale building-courses dealing with wooden structures (Bird Watching Tower, Rindal 2011), managed by Professor Jan Siem.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Transark - Emerging Pedagogies in Architecture Education. Community Design. vol. 079 (03).
- (2015) Stargazing structure in Rindal. 2015. ISBN 978-82-7551-112-4.
- (2014) TRANSark Publication - Book 0. 2014. ISBN 978-82-7551-106-3.
- (2014) Stargazing Structure in Rindal. 2014. ISBN 978-82-7551-102-5.
- (2012) Birdwatching Tower in Rindal. 2012. ISBN 978-82-7551-077-6.
Part of book/report
- (2016) Transformative Learning in Architectural Education: Re-Thinking Architecture and the Education of Architecture. Threshold Concepts in Practice.
- (2016) What can architecture students learn about wood and wood science & engineering students about architecture?. World Conference on Timber Engineering (WCTE 2016).
- (2016) Full scale in four months - Objectives, methods and results. Structures and Architecture Beyond their Limits.
- (2015) Introduction. Stargazing structure in Rindal.
- (2014) Stargazing Structure in Rindal. Stargazing Structure in Rindal.
- (2013) Det første forsøkets magi. Arkitektstudenters første egne arbeid. Kunstpedagogikk og kunnskapsutvikling.
- (2013) The advantage of full-size construction as an educational tool in architecture education. Structures and Architecture – Concepts, Applications and Challenges.
- (2012) Introduction. Birdwatching Tower in Rindal.
- (2012) Researc by design - A study of main differences in architectural expression, timber engineering and interaction between these when digital modelling is compared with physical modelling as design tool. World Conference on Timber Engineering WCTE2012, Final Papers, Strength and Serviceability - Extreme Events.
- (2012) Research by design - A study of main differences in architectural expression, timber engineering and interaction between these when digital modelling is compared with physical modelling as desing tool. World Conference on Timber Engineering WCTE2012, Book of Abstracts, Volume II.
- (2006) Tre i grunnundervisningen i 1. klasse. Fakultet for arkitektur og billedkunst, NTNU. Årbok 2002 - 2005.
- (2005) Structure; Space and Form. Monitoring Architectural Design Education in European Schools of Architecture Transactions on architectural education no 19.