Background and activities
I consider myself an evolutionary ecologist interested in the process of adaptive evolution and the patterns of biodiversity it generates. I attempt to take an integrative approach to questions that fall at the intersection of ecology, evolution, behavior, physiology, and conservation. My group currently works on a diversity of questions, related to 1) the ecological and evolutionary implications of phenotypic plasticity, 2) the role of physiological tolerance and interspecific competition in determining range limits and sensitivity to climate change, 3) how correlated environmental factors shape suites of behavioral, life history, and physiological traits, and 4) the factors generating and maintaining adaptive divergence within populations.
- BI3083 - Evolutionary and Ecological Genetics
- BI2017 - Genetics and Evolution I
- BI8082 - Evolutionary and Ecological Genetics
- BI3052 - Study Design
- BI8083 - Advanced Evolutionary Biology
Scientific, academic and artistic work
- (2021) Body size is associated with yearling breeding and extra-pair mating in the Island Scrub-Jay. The AUK: A Quarterly Journal of Ornithology. vol. 138.
- (2021) Adaptive divergence in bill morphology and other thermoregulatory traits is facilitated by restricted gene flow in song sparrows on the California Channel Islands. Molecular Ecology.
- (2021) Environmental Change, If Unaccounted, Prevents Detection of Cryptic Evolution in a Wild Population. The American Naturalist. vol. 197 (1).
- (2021) Changing salinity regimes in the San Francisco Estuary system due to climate change: Can we anticipate and manage the coming changes?. San Francisco Estuary and Watershed Science. vol. 19 (2).
- (2021) Ecological Effects of Climate-Driven Salinity Variation in the San Francisco Estuary: Can We Anticipate and Manage the Coming Changes?. San Francisco Estuary and Watershed Science. vol. 19 (2).
- (2021) The roles of phenotypic plasticity and adaptation in morphology and performance of an invasive species in a novel environment. Ecological Entomology.
- (2021) Evolutionary conservatism will limit responses to climate change in the tropics. Biology Letters. vol. 17 (10).
- (2021) Genes, environments, and phenotypic plasticity in immunology. Trends in immunology. vol. 42 (3).
- (2021) A genetically based ecological trade-off contributes to setting a geographic range limit. Ecology Letters. vol. 24.
- (2021) How tradeoffs constrain evolvability at the range limit of the Trinidadian guppy. Integrative and Comparative Biology.
- (2020) Rapid evolution and plasticity of genitalia. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. vol. 33.
- (2020) Trade-offs, Pleiotropy, and Shared Molecular Pathways: A Unified View of Constraints on Adaptation. Integrative and Comparative Biology. vol. 60 (2).
- (2020) Divergence and constraint in the thermal sensitivity of aquatic insect swimming performance. Current Zoology. vol. 66 (5).
- (2020) Temperature-dependence of metabolic rate in tropical and temperate aquatic insects: support for the Climate Variability Hypothesis in mayflies but not stoneflies. Global Change Biology. vol. 27.