Background and activities
Research interests: Syntax and semantics, data-oriented language analysis, data visualisation and linguistic annotation mining
RESEARCH PROFILE: I am particularly interested in the development of digital tools that allow linguists to create their own research corpus. My research field is data-driven formal analysis of natural language using both Lexical Functional Grammar and Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar. Having worked on Lexical Semantics (spatial semantics) and Grammar Engineering in the context of machine translation, I am interested in linguistic issues in Natural Language Processing. Recently my focus in on linguistic tools and linguistic methodologies. In German studies, my main interest lies in the combination of data-driven approaches and formal linguistics.
Digital Infrastructure for corpus work in research and education - A model approach
A IS-DAAD project (2016/17)
A IS-DAAD project (2016/17)
TypeCraft - an online natural language database and Annotation Editor.
LOGON - Lexicon, Lexical Semantics, Grammar, and Translation for Norwegian. For more information see LOGON
Under the NUFU schema - The Legon-Trondheim Linguistic Research Cooperation.
The Master's theses that I like to supervise preferably address a topic that lies within the scope of my research interests. Welcome are topics within data-oriented linguistics. I am interested in supporting work on less-resourced languages. Following Best Practice, master students deposit their data in open linguistic repositories where it may be used by other linguists. Very welcome are also theses that feature data related formal work, preferably in one of the constraint-based frameworks, such as Lexical Functional Grammar or Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar.
2.Comparative Studies - with a Focus on German
With German you can teach in schools, or work in the industry or administration. In either case, you will profit from German studies, since they open the doors to German speaking countries. As a student of German you will have the chance to learn critical thinking and analytic skills which you can use for an academic career in any of the many different subjects offered at our or other universities.
List of possible topics for graduate work:
- "The use of the past tense in German and Norwegian written texts."
- "Teacher terminology and its effect on Norwegian learners of German."
- "Second language learner mistakes of Norwegians learning German - the case of subordination."
- " Children - how do they describe their world? - a study of adjectives in use."
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2014) TypeCraft collaborative databasing and resource sharing for linguists. Language Resources and Evaluation. vol. 48 (2).
- (2008) Verb Sequencing Constraints in Ga: Serial Verb Constructions and the Extended Verb Complex. Proceedings of the International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar.
- (2005) A Comparison of Comparatives. Proceedings of the LFG-conference.
- (2004) Semantic Decomposition in a Computational HPSG Grammar: A Treatment of Aspect and Context-Dependent Directionals. Proceedings of the International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar.
- (2002) VP-Chaining in Oriya. Proceedings of the LFG02 Conference National Technical University of Athens, Athens Miriam Butt and Tracy Holloway King (Editors) 2002 CSLI Publications http:/csli-publications.stanford.edu/.
- (1997) Rightward Movement. John Benjamins Publishing Company. 1997. Linguistik Aktuell Linguistics Today.
Part of book/report
- (2015) Data management and analysis for endangered languages. Endangered Languages and New Technologies.
- (2014) Using GrAF for Advanced Convertibility of IGT data. LREC 2014, Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation.
- (2014) Inducing grammars from IGT. Human Language Technology Challenges for Computer Science and Linguistics.
- (2014) MultiVal – towards a multilingual valence lexicon. LREC 2014, Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation.
- (2014) Indian languages on the TypeCraft platform – the case of Hindi and Odia. LREC 2014, Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation.
- (2011) TypeCraft - Text Annotation in the context of African Linguistics. North-South Contributions to African Languages.
- (2011) Inducing grammar from IGT. Proceedings of the 5th Language and Technology Conference: Human Language Technologies as a Challenge for Computer Science and Linguistics (LTC 2011).
- (2009) Glossing and databasing for linguists. Multilingualism. Proceedings of the 23rd Scandinavian Conference of Linguistics.
- (2009) Interlinear Glossing On-Line. Proceedings of 4th Language & Technology Conference.
- (2009) Interlinear glossing and its role in theoretical and descriptive studies of African and other lesser-documented languages. Proceedings of the First Workshop on Language Technologies for African Languages.
- (2006) Word Sense and Semantic Disambiguation of Constructions in a Deep Processing Grammar. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2006).
- (2005) Preposition stranding and locative adverbs in German. Organizing Grammar. Linguistic Studies in Honor of Henk van Riemsdijk.
- (2014) TypeCraft v.2. Dorothee Beermann. 2014.
- (2014) Infinitive constructions in Norwegian, in a comparative perspective. Syntax of the World's languages 6 ; Pavia. 2014-09-08 - 2014-09-10.
- (2013) A multilingual valence database for less resourced languages. Language Technology Conference 2013 . AMU, Poznan; Poznan. 2013-12-07 - 2013-12-10.
- (2012) Contrastive Norwegian-German Valency. 45th Annual Meeting of the Societas Linguistica Europaea . Department of Linguistics, Stockholm University; Stockholm. 2012-08-29 - 2012-09-01.
- (2012) TypeCraft.Collaborative databasing and Resource sharing for Linguists. 9th Extended Semantic Web Conference, Workshop, Interacting with Linked Data . ESWC; Heraklion. 2012-05-27 - 2012-05-31.
- (2012) Linking annotations. Steps towards tool-chaining in Language Documentation. Service-oriented Architecture. Solutions and Impact. Workshop at Digital Humanities 2012, Hamburg, Germany . Digital Humanities 2012; Hamburg University. 2012-07-16 - 2012-07-22.
- (2012) Spatial Prepositions as Typed Feature Structures. 'Meaning of P' . Ruhruniversität Bochum; Bochum. 2012-11-24 - 2012-11-26.
- (2011) Inducing grammar from IGT. 5th Language & Technology Conference . University of Poznán; Posnán. 2011-11-25 - 2011-11-27.
- (2011) e-Research for Linguists. Association for Computational Linguistics - ACL HLT 2011 . The Association for Computational Linguistics; Portland, Oregon. 2011-06-19 - 2011-06-24.