Background and activities
Research interests: Syntax and semantics, text analysis, data-oriented language analysis, data visualisation and linguistic annotation mining
RESEARCH PROFILE: I am particularly interested in the development of digital tools that allow linguists to create their own research corpus. My research field is data-driven formal analysis of natural language using both Lexical Functional Grammar and Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar. Having worked on Lexical Semantics (spatial semantics) and Grammar Engineering in the context of machine translation, I am interested in linguistic issues in Natural Language Processing and text analysis. Recently my focus in on linguistic tools and linguistic methodologies. In German studies, my main interest lies in the combination of data-driven approaches and formal linguistics.
Chatroom Security (together with Patrick Bours, NTNU Gjøvik)
Aspects of Linguistic Complexity. Comparative German/Norwegian Valence Approach to the creation of resources for Easy-To-Understand Language
IS-DAAD project (2018/19)
Digital Infrastructure for corpus work in research and education - A model approach
A IS-DAAD project (2016/17)
TypeCraft - an online natural language database and Annotation Editor.
LOGON - Lexicon, Lexical Semantics, Grammar, and Translation for Norwegian. For more information see LOGON
The Legon-Trondheim Linguistic Research Cooperation (Under the NUFU schema).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Infinitives. Contrastive Studies in Verbal Valency.
- (2016) Switched control and other 'uncontrolled' cases of obligatory control. Proceedings of the International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar.
- (2016) Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis in the work with African Languages. Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2016).
- (2015) Data management and analysis for endangered languages. Endangered Languages and New Technologies.
- (2014) Using GrAF for Advanced Convertibility of IGT data. LREC 2014, Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation.
- (2014) TypeCraft collaborative databasing and resource sharing for linguists. Language Resources and Evaluation. vol. 48 (2).
- (2014) TypeCraft v.2. Dorothee Beermann. 2014.
- (2014) Inducing grammars from IGT. Human Language Technology Challenges for Computer Science and Linguistics.
- (2014) Infinitive constructions in Norwegian, in a comparative perspective. Syntax of the World's languages 6 ; Pavia. 2014-09-08 - 2014-09-10.
- (2014) MultiVal – towards a multilingual valence lexicon. LREC 2014, Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation.
- (2014) Indian languages on the TypeCraft platform – the case of Hindi and Odia. LREC 2014, Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation.
- (2013) A multilingual valence database for less resourced languages. Language Technology Conference 2013 . AMU, Poznan; Poznan. 2013-12-07 - 2013-12-10.
- (2012) Contrastive Norwegian-German Valency. 45th Annual Meeting of the Societas Linguistica Europaea . Department of Linguistics, Stockholm University; Stockholm. 2012-08-29 - 2012-09-01.
- (2012) TypeCraft.Collaborative databasing and Resource sharing for Linguists. 9th Extended Semantic Web Conference, Workshop, Interacting with Linked Data . ESWC; Heraklion. 2012-05-27 - 2012-05-31.
- (2012) Linking annotations. Steps towards tool-chaining in Language Documentation. Service-oriented Architecture. Solutions and Impact. Workshop at Digital Humanities 2012, Hamburg, Germany . Digital Humanities 2012; Hamburg University. 2012-07-16 - 2012-07-22.
- (2012) Spatial Prepositions as Typed Feature Structures. 'Meaning of P' . Ruhruniversität Bochum; Bochum. 2012-11-24 - 2012-11-26.
- (2011) TypeCraft - Text Annotation in the context of African Linguistics. North-South Contributions to African Languages.
- (2011) Inducing grammar from IGT. Proceedings of the 5th Language and Technology Conference: Human Language Technologies as a Challenge for Computer Science and Linguistics (LTC 2011).
- (2011) Inducing grammar from IGT. 5th Language & Technology Conference . University of Poznán; Posnán. 2011-11-25 - 2011-11-27.
- (2011) e-Research for Linguists. Association for Computational Linguistics - ACL HLT 2011 . The Association for Computational Linguistics; Portland, Oregon. 2011-06-19 - 2011-06-24.
- (2009) Glossing and databasing for linguists. Multilingualism. Proceedings of the 23rd Scandinavian Conference of Linguistics.
- (2009) Interlinear Glossing On-Line. Proceedings of 4th Language & Technology Conference.
- (2009) Interlinear glossing and its role in theoretical and descriptive studies of African and other lesser-documented languages. Proceedings of the First Workshop on Language Technologies for African Languages.
- (2008) Verb Sequencing Constraints in Ga: Serial Verb Constructions and the Extended Verb Complex. Proceedings of the International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar.
- (2006) Word Sense and Semantic Disambiguation of Constructions in a Deep Processing Grammar. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2006).
- (2005) Preposition stranding and locative adverbs in German. Organizing Grammar. Linguistic Studies in Honor of Henk van Riemsdijk.
- (2005) A Comparison of Comparatives. Proceedings of the LFG-conference.
- (2004) Semantic Decomposition in a Computational HPSG Grammar: A Treatment of Aspect and Context-Dependent Directionals. Proceedings of the International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar.
- (2002) VP-Chaining in Oriya. Proceedings of the LFG02 Conference National Technical University of Athens, Athens Miriam Butt and Tracy Holloway King (Editors) 2002 CSLI Publications http:/csli-publications.stanford.edu/.
- (1997) Rightward Movement. John Benjamins Publishing Company. 1997. Linguistik Aktuell Linguistics Today.