Background and activities
Edd Blekkan is professor specializing in catalysis.
Edd Blekkan has an MSc in Industrial chemistry, NTH 1981, and a Dr.-ing.-degree in Industrial chemistry, from NTH in 1985.
- Head of department, Dep. of Chemical Engineering, NTNU (2013-2017)
- Professor Industrial Chemistry, Chemical Engineering NTH/NTNU (1995-)
- Associate professor Industrial chmistry NTH (1988-1995)
- Advisor to SINTEF (1988-2013)
- Visiting professor, Univ. of Cambridge (2010)
- Visiting professor, University of Cardiff (2005)
- Visiting researcher, Statoil (Trondheim) and Borealis (Porsgrunn) (2000)
- Head of Department, Department of Industrial Chemistry, NTNU (1998)
- Deputy Head, Department of Industrial Chemistry, NTNU/NTH (1991- 1997)
- Visiting professor, Université Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France (1992-93)
- Research Scientist, SINTEF Applied Chemistry, Trondheim, Norway (1982-1984 and 1987-88)
- Postdoc, University of Reading, UK (1986)
- Research fellow, NTH, Dep. of Industrial Chemistry (1985)
- Elected Member, Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences (NTVA)
- Heterogeneous catalysis
- Natural gas conversion
- Oil refining
- Biofuels and biorefineries
- Process technology.
Teaching and Supervision
- Teacher at all levels in Chemical Engineering (Introduction to Chemical Engineering (year 1-3), specialist courses in Chemical Engineering and catalysis/Petrochemistry and Gas Conversion (year 4-5) as well as PhD-level courses in Heterogeneous Catalysis, and project based education.
- Supervisor and co-supervisor for about 20 Dr.-Ing./PhD-students, 50 diploma-students (MSc thesis) and 100+ project students.
- Award for teaching excellence (NTNU NT-faculty, 2009).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Potassium adsorption behavior on hcp cobalt as model systems for the Fischer–Tropsch synthesis: a density functional theory study. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 19 (19).
- (2017) Performance of Mn-based H2S sorbents in dry, reducing atmosphere – Manganese oxide support effects. Fuel. vol. 196.
- (2016) Carbon number dependence of reaction mechanism and kinetics in CO hydrogenation on a Co-based catalyst. ACS Catalysis. vol. 6 (10).
- (2015) On the initial deactivation of MnxOy-Al2O3 sorbents for high temperature removal of H2S from producer gas. Fuel processing technology. vol. 133.
- (2015) The Role of Carbon Support for Propane Dehydrogenation Over Platinum Catalysts. Topics in catalysis. vol. 58.
- (2014) Catalytic hydrodeoxygenation (HDO) of phenol over supported molybdenum carbide, nitride, phosphide and oxide catalysts. Catalysis Today. vol. 223 (March).
- (2014) Potential for metal-carbide, -nitride, and -phosphide as future hydrotreating (HT) catalysts for processing of bio-oils. ACS Catalysis. vol. 26.
- (2014) Microcalorimetric studies on Co–Re/γ-Al2O3 catalysts with Na impurities for Fischer–Tropsch synthesis. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 53 (5).
- (2013) Fischer-Tropsch conversion of biomass-derived synthesis gas to liquid fuels. Energy and Environment. vol. 2 (5).
- (2013) Microcalorimetric studies of H-2 and CO on Co/gamma-Al2O3 catalysts for Fischer-Tropsch synthesis. Catalysis Today. vol. 214.
- (2011) Effect of water on the space-time yield of different supported cobalt catalysts during Fischer-Tropsch synthesis. Applied Catalysis A : General. vol. 393 (1-2).
- (2011) Reforming of Syngas from Biomass Gasification: Deactivation by Tar and Potassium Species. Topics in catalysis. vol. 54 (13-15).
- (2010) Towards efficient hydrogen production from glycerol by sorption enhanced steam reforming. Energy & Environmental Science. vol. 3 (8).
- (2010) On the selectivity of cobalt-based Fischer-Tropsch catalysts: Evidence for a common precursor for methane and long-chain hydrocarbons. Journal of Catalysis. vol. 274 (1).
- (2008) V2O5-SiO2 systems prepared by flame pyrolysis as catalysts for the oxidative dehydrogenation of propane. Journal of Catalysis. vol. 256.
- (2008) Hydrodesulfurization of thiophene on carbon nanofiber supported Co/Ni/Mo catalysts. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental. vol. 84 (3-4).
- (2007) Hydrogen from methanol steam-reforming over Cu-based catalysts with and without Pd promotion. International journal of hydrogen energy. vol. 32.
- (2006) Isomerisation of n-hexane over sulphated zirconia modified by noble metals. Applied Catalysis A : General. vol. 299.
Part of book/report
- (2007) Fischer-Tropsh synthesis on cobalt catalysts: the effect of water. Catalysis.