Fredrik Mørk Røkenes
Background and activities
I work as an associate professor in English didactics at the Department for Teacher Education (ILU) at NTNU, and I do research on student teachers' digital competence development in teacher education. I am also the coordinator for the Kompetanse for Kvalitet (KfK) English 1 and English 2 Take Credit programme, course instructor and instructional designer of two online courses in English didactics (Take Credit, ENG6024 - Literature and culture in the classroom and ENG6014 - Writing in the classroom). In addition, I am the course coordinator and instructor of the Master's course EDU3084 - Digital competence which is arranged for Master's students in social sciences and foreign language didactics, and which I co-teach with Gunnar Grut. I also teach a PhD course in literature reviews with Rune Krumsvik at the University of Bergen (read more here: https://www.facebook.com/Phd-kurs-503921176474052/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf).
I am the leader of the research group New Technologies and Educational Design - NTED, together with Mari-Ann Letnes. I am always looking to collaborate with PhD students, MA students and fellow researchers on projects related to digital technologies in education.
- Professional digital competence development
- Digital literacy
- English didactics
- Online teaching and learning
- ICT in the school and higher education
- Teacher education
- Student teachers
- Educational technology
- Digital storytelling
- Flipped classroom
- Learning Analytics
- Literature reviews, systematic reviews, and meta-analysis
- DigGiLU - Digitalization of Primary- and Lower-Secondary School Teacher Education at the Department of Teacher Education (Norwegian Agency for Digital Learning in Higher Education/Ministry of Education and Research funding)
- TEACH21st - Teaching and Transfer Effects of 21st Century Skills - Collaborative Problem-Solving in Digital Environments (NFR funding)
- Language, Integration, Media - LIM (NFR/FINNUT funding)
- OPVET (Erasmus+ funding)
- New Technologies and Educational Design - NTED (NTNU)
- Digital Learning Communities - DLC (University of Bergen)
- Han Han (2018-present)
- Karen Birgitte Dille (2017-present)
- Even Einum (2016-2019)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Face-to-face and remote teaching in a doctoral education course : using flipped classroom, formative assessment and remote teaching to increase the teaching quality of a literature review course. UNIPED. vol. 42 (2).
- (2016) Digital storytelling in teacher education: A meaningful way of integrating ICT in ESL teaching. Acta Didactica Norge. vol. 10 (2).
- (2016) Prepared to teach ESL with ICT? A study of digital competence in Norwegian teacher education. Computers & Education. vol. 97.
- (2014) Development of student teachers' digital competence in teacher education : a literature review. Nordic Journal of Digital Literacy. vol. 2014 (4).
- (2010) Vurderingskriterier for muntlig samhandling. Språk og språkundervisning. vol. 3.
Part of book/report
- (2020) Language and technology: Digital competence in English. Teaching English in Norwegian classrooms: From research to practice.
- (2020) Digital competence and digital inequality in upper secondary school. A Mixed Method Study. Media Meets Diversity @ School. Wie kann Lernen und Lehren in der digitalen Welt unter den Vorzeichen von Diversität gelingen?.
- (2020) Theoretical considerations of digital competence and digital inequality in upper secondary school. Media Meets Diversity @ School. Wie kann Lernen und Lehren in der digitalen Welt unter den Vorzeichen von Diversität gelingen?.
- (2019) Hvordan finne kunnskapsfronten? Litteraturreview i masteroppgaven i grunnskolelærerutdanningen. Kvalitativ metode i lærarutdanninga.
- (2019) Digital kompetanse i lærerutdanning og skole 5-10. Lærer i skolen 5-10. Lærerarbeid og læringsmiljø.
- (2019) Profesjonsfaglig digital kompetanse i skole og lærerutdanning. Lærer i skolen 1-7. Lærerarbeid og læringsmiljø.
- (2019) PhD revisited: Preparing future teachers to teach with ICT: An investigation of digital competence development in ESL student teachers in a Norwegian teacher education program. English didactics in Norway - 30 years of doctoral research.
- (2018) ICT and Digital Divides. The Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Communication Technologies in Education 2018.
- (2018) Digital kompetanse i lærerutdanning og i høyere utdanning. Mediepedagogikk og mediekompetanse. Danning og læring i en ny mediekultur.
- (2016) Learning Analytics i skole og høyere utdanning. Digital læring i skole og lærerutdanning.
- (2016) Litteraturreview i ph.d.-avhandlingen. En doktorgradsutdanning i endring. Et fokus på den artikkelbaserte ph.d.-avhandlingen.
- (2016) Lærerstudenters digitale kompetanseutvikling i lærerutdanningen: Hva sier forskningslitteraturen?. Digital læring i skole og lærerutdanning.
- (2020) Profesjonsfaglig digital kompetanse i grunnskolelærerutdanningen: Status i fem utviklingsprosjekter. 2020.
- (2016) Preparing future teachers to teach with ICT: An investigation of digital competence development in ESL student teachers in a Norwegian teacher education program. 2016. ISBN 978-82-326-1676-3.
- (2011) Being Critical in a Digital Landscape. 2011.
- Subject didactics
- Teaching of english as second language
- ICT in teaching and learning
- Research on ICT
- Qualitative data analysis
- Qualitative research
- ICT and language learning
- ICT and learning
- Digital divide
- Digital Bildung
- Digital/ICT Literacy
- Digital Storytelling
- Digital tools
- Digital media
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- Key Skills in Englsih
- Design-based research
- Computer assisted language learning
- Computer-assisted language learning