Fredrik Mørk Røkenes
Background and activities
I work as an associate professor in English didactics at the Department for Teacher Education (ILU) at NTNU, and I do research on student teachers' professional digital competence development (PDC) in teacher education. I am also an associate professor II at the Western Norway Graduate School of Educational Research (WNGER II) at the University of Bergen. In addition, I am the course coordinator and instructor of the Master's course DID3304 Computer-assisted language learning which is arranged for Master's students in English and foreign language didactics, and which I co-teach with Han Han. Further, I am the course coordinator and instructor of the Master's course MGLU5205 Methodology and English Didactics which I co-teach with Delilah Bermudez Brataas. I also teach a PhD course in literature reviews with Rune Krumsvik at the University of Bergen (read more here: https://www.uib.no/fs/wnger-ii/147116/literature-review-phd-level).
I am the leader of the research group New Technologies and Educational Design - NTED, together with Mari-Ann Letnes. I am always looking to collaborate with PhD students, MA students and fellow researchers on projects related to digital technologies in education.
- Professional digital competence development
- Digital literacy
- English didactics
- Online teaching and learning
- ICT in the school and higher education
- Teacher education
- Student teachers
- Educational technology
- Digital storytelling
- Flipped classroom
- Learning Analytics
- Literature reviews, systematic reviews, and meta-synthesis
- DigSkole (2020-2026, DEKOM financing)
- TEACH21st - Teaching and Transfer Effects of 21st Century Skills - Collaborative Problem-Solving in Digital Environments (NFR funding)
- DigGiLU - Digitalization of Primary- and Lower-Secondary School Teacher Education at the Department of Teacher Education (2018-2020, Norwegian Agency for Digital Learning in Higher Education/Ministry of Education and Research funding)
- Language, Integration, Media - LIM (2017-2020, NFR/FINNUT funding)
- OPVET (2016-2020, Erasmus+ funding)
- New Technologies and Educational Design - NTED (NTNU)
- Digital Learning Communities - DLC (University of Bergen)
- Sigrun Lindaas Norhagen (2021-present)
- Han Han (2018-present)
- Karen Birgitte Dille (2017-present)
- Even Einum (2016-2019)
Ongoing and previous teaching:
- LÆR2006 Professional digital competence for school
- Literature review on PhD-level (WNGER II)
- DID3304 Computer-assisted language learning (MDID)
- MGLU5206 Methodology and English Didactics (MGLU)
- EDU3084 Profesjonsfaglig digital kompetanse (MFAG)
- ENG6014 Writing in the classroom (KfK)
- ENG6024 Literature and culture in the classroom (KfK)
- PPU/5LU English didactics
- DID3304 - CALL - Computer-Assisted Language Learning
- MGLU5206 - Methodology and English Didactics
- LÆR2006 - Professional digital competence for school
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Teachers’ professional development in formal online communities: A scoping review. Teaching and Teacher Education : An International Journal of Research and Studies. vol. 105.
- (2021) Analysing Teacher Learning in Online Networks: An Outline for Methodological Decision-Making. Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning Conference.
- (2021) Migration narratives in educational digital storytelling: which stories can be told?. Learning, Media & Technology.
- (2020) Flipped Classroom in Teacher Education: A Scoping Review. Frontiers in Education. vol. 5 (221).
- (2019) Face-to-face and remote teaching in a doctoral education course : using flipped classroom, formative assessment and remote teaching to increase the teaching quality of a literature review course. UNIPED. vol. 42 (2).
- (2016) Digital storytelling in teacher education: A meaningful way of integrating ICT in ESL teaching. Acta Didactica Norge. vol. 10 (2).
- (2016) Prepared to teach ESL with ICT? A study of digital competence in Norwegian teacher education. Computers & Education. vol. 97.
- (2014) Development of student teachers' digital competence in teacher education : a literature review. Nordic Journal of Digital Literacy. vol. 2014 (4).
- (2010) Vurderingskriterier for muntlig samhandling. Språk og språkundervisning. vol. 3.
Part of book/report
- (2020) Language and technology: Digital competence in English. Teaching English in Norwegian classrooms: From research to practice.
- (2020) Digital competence and digital inequality in upper secondary school. A Mixed Method Study. Media Meets Diversity @ School. Wie kann Lernen und Lehren in der digitalen Welt unter den Vorzeichen von Diversität gelingen?.
- (2020) Theoretical considerations of digital competence and digital inequality in upper secondary school. Media Meets Diversity @ School. Wie kann Lernen und Lehren in der digitalen Welt unter den Vorzeichen von Diversität gelingen?.
- (2020) Intrinsically Motivating Instruction - Thomas Malone. Science Education in Theory and Practice. An Introductory Guide to Learning Theory.
- (2019) Hvordan finne kunnskapsfronten? Litteraturreview i masteroppgaven i grunnskolelærerutdanningen. Kvalitativ metode i lærarutdanninga.
- (2019) Digital kompetanse i lærerutdanning og skole 5-10. Lærer i skolen 5-10. Lærerarbeid og læringsmiljø.
- (2019) Profesjonsfaglig digital kompetanse i skole og lærerutdanning. Lærer i skolen 1-7. Lærerarbeid og læringsmiljø.
- (2019) PhD revisited: Preparing future teachers to teach with ICT: An investigation of digital competence development in ESL student teachers in a Norwegian teacher education program. English didactics in Norway - 30 years of doctoral research.
- (2018) ICT and Digital Divides. The Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Communication Technologies in Education 2018.
- (2018) Digital kompetanse i lærerutdanning og i høyere utdanning. Mediepedagogikk og mediekompetanse. Danning og læring i en ny mediekultur.
- (2016) Learning Analytics i skole og høyere utdanning. Digital læring i skole og lærerutdanning.
- Subject didactics
- Teaching of english as second language
- ICT in teaching and learning
- Research on ICT
- Qualitative data analysis
- Quanitative research methods
- Qualitative research
- ICT and language learning
- ICT and learning
- Digital divide
- Digital Bildung
- Digital/ICT Literacy
- Digital Storytelling
- Digital tools
- Digital media
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- Key Skills in Englsih
- Mixed method
- Design-based research
- Computer assisted language learning
- Computer-assisted language learning