Background and activities
Girts is an enthusiastic programmer who likes to program himself and teach programming to others. He is the program coordinator for Computer Science bachelor program (specialization: Application development) in NTNU campus Ålesund. His industrial and research interests have evolved around software development for various applications and environments: from PostgreSQL databases and responsive websites to low-level C programming for low-power microcrontrollers. Girts received a PhD degree in computer science from the University of Latvia in 2014 with PhD thesis "Software design rules for Wireless Sensor Networks". He was active in research as a PhD student and has co-authored more than 10 well-cited research articles. Since 2015 is Girts focusing more on teaching. He has taught different subjects, including operating systems, object-oriented programming, mobile and distributed applications, and system development. Currently Girts is teaching computer networks and network programming (IDATA2304) at the undergraduate level and data processing and visualization (IE500417) at the graduate level.
- Thinking Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, by Jordan B. Peterson
- Money: Master the Game, by Tony Robbins
- Permanent Record, by Edward Snowden
- Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future, by Ashlee Vance
- The Phoenix Project - A Novel about IT, DevOps and Helping your Business Win, by Gene Kim, Kevin Behr, George Spafford
- Ghost Boy, by Martin Pistorius
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Data Version Control for Relational Databases: Small and Start-up Business Perspective. Baltic Journal of Modern Computing. vol. 4 (4).
- (2016) Data integration and visualisation for demanding marine operations. OCEANS 2016 Shanghai - MTS/IEEE.
- (2015) Open Security And Privacy Challenges for the Internet of Things. Proceedings of 10th International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing (ICICS 2015).
- (2014) Towards Tactile Alarms Systems for Increased Awareness in Smart Environments. SMART 2014 - The Third International Conference on Smart Systems, Devices and Technologies.
- (2013) Kinect-based systems for maritime operation simulators?. Proceedings 27th European Conference on Modelling and Simulation ECMS 2013, May 27th - May 30th, 2013, Ålesund, Norway.