Background and activities
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) By Force of Power: On the Relationship between Social Science Knowledge and Political Power in Economics in Communist Hungary. History of Political Economy. vol. 51.
- (2017) External Politics—Internal Rivalries. Social Science Scholarship and Political Change in Communist Hungary. East Central Europe. vol. 44 (2-3).
- (2017) The Prince and the Savant: Political Change and Social Knowledge in Late Modern Hungary. East Central Europe. vol. 44 (2-3).
- (2016) Contested socialisms: the conflict between critical sociology and reform economics in communist Hungary, 1967-71. Social history (London). vol. 41 (3).
- (2016) Demand side abundance: on the post-1956 social contract in communist Hungary. East Central Europe. vol. 43 (3).
- (2014) Should We Really be Surprised by Where Viktor Orbán’s Hungary is Heading?. Transit: Europäische Revue.
- (2012) Sites of Convergence: The USSR and Communist Eastern Europe at International Fairs Abroad and at Home. Journal of Contemporary History. vol. 47 (1).
- (2012) Transsystemic Fantasies: Counterrevolutionary Hungary at Brussels’ Expo ‘58. Journal of Contemporary History. vol. 47 (1).
- (2010) State Socialism, Mobility, and Modernity (in Russian). Forum for Anthropology and Culture.
- (2009) Streetcars of desire: cars and automobilism in communist Hungary (1958–70). Social history (London). vol. 34 (1).
- (2008) The Occident Within -- Or the Drive for Exceptionalism and Modernity. Kritika: Explorations in Russian and Eurasian History. vol. 9 (4).
- (2006) Tisztogatás és patronálás: Kádár ellenforradalma és a közgazdaságtudományi kutatások Magyarországon, 1957-1958. Aetas. vol. 21 (1).
- (2005) Across and Beyond the East West Divide II: Transnational and transsystemic Tendencies in Russia and Esat Central Europe's Cultural Life during the Communist Era. Slavonica. vol. 11 (1).
- (2004) Nylon Curtain - Transnational and Transsystemic Tendencies in the Cultural Life of State-Socialist Russia and East-Central Europe. Slavonica. vol. 10 (2).
- (2002) Introduction (to the theme issue entitled: Patronage, Personal Networks, and the Party-State. Everyday Life in the Cultural Sphere of Communist Russia and East Central Europe). Contemporary European History. vol. 11 (01).
- (2002) Purge and Patronage: Kádár's Counter-revolution and the Field of Economic Research in Hungary, 1957–1958. Contemporary European History. vol. 11 (01).
- (2000) Between Empire and Nation-State: Comments on the Pathology of State Formation in Eastern Europe during the �Short Twentieth Century�. Contemporary European History. vol. 9 (3).
- (1997) Intellectual life and the first crisis of state socialism in East Central Europe 1953-6 : introduction. Contemporary European History. vol. 6 (3).
- (1997) New course economics : the field of economic research in Hungary after Stalin 1953-6. Contemporary European History. vol. 6 (3).
- (1995) On the legacy of state socialism in Academia. Minerva. vol. 33 (4).