Background and activities
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Contested socialisms: the conflict between critical sociology and reform economics in communist Hungary, 1967-71. Social history (London). vol. 41 (3).
- (2016) Demand Side Abundance: On the Post-1956 Social Contract in Communist Hungary. East Central Europe. vol. 43 (3).
- (2014) Should We Really be Surprised by Where Viktor Orbán’s Hungary is Heading?. Transit: Europäische Revue.
- (2012) Sites of Convergence: The USSR and Communist Eastern Europe at International Fairs Abroad and at Home. Journal of Contemporary History. vol. 47 (1).
- (2012) Transsystemic Fantasies: Counterrevolutionary Hungary at Brussels’ Expo ‘58. Journal of Contemporary History. vol. 47 (1).
- (2010) State Socialism, Mobility, and Modernity (in Russian). Forum for Anthropology and Culture.
- (2009) Streetcars of desire: cars and automobilism in communist Hungary (1958–70). Social history (London). vol. 34 (1).
- (2008) The Occident Within -- Or the Drive for Exceptionalism and Modernity. Kritika: Explorations in Russian and Eurasian History. vol. 9 (4).
- (2006) Tisztogatás és patronálás: Kádár ellenforradalma és a közgazdaságtudományi kutatások Magyarországon, 1957-1958. Aetas. vol. 21 (1).
- (2005) Across and Beyond the East West Divide II: Transnational and transsystemic Tendencies in Russia and Esat Central Europe's Cultural Life during the Communist Era. Slavonica. vol. 11 (1).
- (2004) Nylon Curtain - Transnational and Transsystemic Tendencies in the Cultural Life of State-Socialist Russia and East-Central Europe. Slavonica. vol. 10 (2).
- (2002) Introduction (to the theme issue entitled: Patronage, Personal Networks, and the Party-State. Everyday Life in the Cultural Sphere of Communist Russia and East Central Europe). Contemporary European History. vol. 11 (01).
- (2002) Purge and Patronage: Kádár's Counter-revolution and the Field of Economic Research in Hungary, 1957–1958. Contemporary European History. vol. 11 (01).
- (2000) Between Empire and Nation-State: Comments on the Pathology of State Formation in Eastern Europe during the �Short Twentieth Century�. Contemporary European History. vol. 9 (3).
- (1997) Intellectual life and the first crisis of state socialism in East Central Europe 1953-6 : introduction. Contemporary European History. vol. 6 (3).
- (1997) New course economics : the field of economic research in Hungary after Stalin 1953-6. Contemporary European History. vol. 6 (3).
- (1995) On the legacy of state socialism in Academia 1949-56. Minerva (Oslo). vol. 33 (4).
- (1994) Modernity versus democracy : the politics of Albert Szent-Gy@ørgyi, 1945-47. Hungarian Studies. vol. 9 (1-2).
- (1993) Reserve and vehicle currencies in the financial structures of Hungary, 1924-1931. Journal of European Economic History. vol. 22 (2).
- (1993) Scientists versus scholars : the prelude to communist takeover in Hungarian science, 1945-1947. Minerva (Oslo). vol. 31 (3).