Hans Kristian Høidalen
Background and activities
Fields of interest and present research activities:
- Computer simulations and modelling of power systems, including electrical modelling of transformers and cables and development of simulation tools; ATPDraw.
- Power system protection and distributed generation; ProSmart , ProDig.
- Power transformer; modeling, stresses; Norwegian transformer user group.
- Impact of lightning on electrical power systems, including lightning induced effects and measurements of transients.
Leader of the KPN-project ProSmart, 2015-2019, "Power system protection in a smartgrid perspective". 4 PhD students, cooperation with NTNU-Telematics, Michigan Tech, SINTEF, ABB, Statnett, Eidsiva, Hafslund, Lyse, Skagerak, Statkraft.
Leader of the KPN-project ProDig, 2019-2023; "Power system protection and control in digital substations". 4 PhD students, cooperation with NTNU-Information security and Communication Technology, Michigan Tech, SINTEF, Statnett, ABB, Siemens, Eidsiva, Hafslund, Agder Energi, Skagerak, Jacobsen Elektro, NorTroll.
- Overvoltages (in Norwegian) TET4130 (3rd year, spring)
- Power system protection and control (relay protection), TET4215 (4th year, spring)
- Computer simulation of transisents, ELK31 (short course, 5th year, fall)
- EMC, Elektromagnetic compatibility in railroads (in Norwegian)
Supervision of master theses:
- Eilert Bjerkan; High frequency modeling of power transformers: Stresses and Diagnostics
- Nicola Chiesa; Power Transformer Modeling for Inrush Current Calculation
- Jorun Irene Marvik; Fault Localization in Medium Voltage Distribution Networks with Distributed Generation
- Dung van Nguyen; Experimental Studies of Streamer Phenomena in Long Oil Gaps
- Amir Hayati Soloot; Resonant Overvoltages in Offshore Wind Farms Analysis, modeling and measurement
- Edris Agheb; Medium frequency high power transformers
- Konstantin Pandakov; Improvements in protection of medium voltage resonant grounded networks with distributed sources.
- Abbas Lotfi; Off-core magnetic flux paths in power transformers. Modeling and applications
- ET6202 - Protection and monitoring in distribution networks
- TET4215 - Power System Protection and Control
- ET8101 - Computation of Transient Overvoltages in Electrical Power Systems
- TET4130 - Power System Transients
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Adaptive Frequency Estimation Method for ROCOF Islanding Detection Relay. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. vol. 35 (4).
- (2019) IEC 61850 Goose Managing applications in distribution network protection and automation. CIRED Conference Proceedings.
- (2019) Experimental validation of a new impedance based protection for networks with distributed generation using co-simulation test platform. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery.
- (2019) Analysis and evaluation of Intersystem Fault ina Hybrid AC/DC Power System and its impact on the protection System. IPST - International Conference on Power Systems Transients.
- (2018) Real time hardware-in-the-loop comparison of frequency estimation techniques in application to ROCOF based islanding detection. IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting. vol. 2018-August:8586529.
- (2018) Coordinated protection and control strategy with wind power integration for distribution network. The Journal of Engineering. vol. 2018 (5).
- (2018) Hardware-in-the-loop testing of impedance protection with compensation of fault impedance and DG infeed current. The Journal of Engineering. vol. 2018 (15).
- (2018) An Additional Criterion for Faulty Feeder Selection during Ground Faults in Compensated Distribution Networks. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. vol. 33 (6).
- (2018) Simplified models of three-phase, five-limb transformer for studying GIC effects. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 103.
- (2017) Study on locating transformer internal faults using sweep frequency response analysis. Electric power systems research. vol. 145.
- (2017) Misoperation analysis of steady-state and transient methods on earth fault locating in compensated distribution networks. Sustainable Energy, Grids and Networks. vol. 15.
- (2017) Influence of voltage harmonics on transformer no-load loss measurements and calculation of magnetization curves. Electric power systems research. vol. 146.
- (2017) Practical Experience in Using a Topological Model of a Core-Type Three-Phase Transformer - No-Load and Inrush conditions. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. vol. 32 (4).
- (2016) High frequency wind energy conversion system for offshore DC collection grid—Part I: Comparative loss evaluation. Sustainable Energy, Grids and Networks. vol. 5.
- (2016) Thévenin Equivalent of Voltage-Source Converters for DC Fault Studies. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. vol. 31 (2).
- (2016) Computational efficiency improvement of the Universal Line Model by use of rational approximations with real poles. Electric power systems research. vol. 140.
- (2016) Benchmarking of hysteretic elements in topological transformer model. Electric power systems research. vol. 138.
- (2016) High frequency wind energy conversion system for offshore DC collection grid — Part II: Efficiency improvements. Sustainable Energy, Grids and Networks. vol. 5.
- (2016) A multiagent system-based protection and control scheme for distribution system with distributed-generation integration. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. vol. 32 (1).