Background and activities
Havard Dalen, MD, PhD, Associate professor at Cardiac Exercise Research Group, Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, Norwegian University of science and Technology, NTNU and Cardiologist at Department for Cardiology, St. Olav’s University Hospital and Levanger Hospital.
Main research interests have been innovative ultrasound diagnostics and the clinical usefulness of new ultrasound modalities. Furthermore, the use of exercise training as medicine in cardiac and pulmonary disease and epidemiologic studies based on the large Health Survey in Nord-Trøndelag (HUNT Study) have been main interests. Dalen has chaired the Norwegian Working Group of Echocardiography, and is currently chairing the largest national cardiac meeting. He is collaborating with several national and international groups.
He is specialist in Cardiology and Internal Medicine from 2008, and has defended his PhD in clinical medicine in 2010. Since 2003 most of the clinical work has been within the field of cardiology. He has been teaching doctors, medical students, nurses and patient organizations.
Dalen is responsible for the scientific quality and use of in-hospital cardiac endpoints from the hospitals in Nord-Trøndelag which is attractive to national and international research groups performing epidemiologic studies based on the HUNT Study.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) The use of handheld ultrasound devices: a position statement of the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging (2018 update). European Heart Journal-Cardiovascular Imaging. vol. 20 (3).
- (2019) Association of Conventional Cardiovascular Risk Factors with Cardiovascular Disease after Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy: Analysis of the Nord-Tr?ndelag Health Study. JAMA cardiology. vol. 4 (7).
- (2019) Cardiorespiratory Fitness and the Risk of First Acute Myocardial Infarction: The HUNT Study. Journal of the American Heart Association.
- (2018) Light-moderate alcohol consumption and left ventricular function among healthy, middle-aged adults: The HUNT study. BMJ Open. vol. 8.
- (2018) Automatic measurements of mitral annular plane systolic excursion and velocities to detect left ventricular dysfunction. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. vol. 44 (1).
- (2018) Peak oxygen uptake and incident coronary heart disease in a healthy population: the HUNT Fitness Study. European Heart Journal.
- (2018) Does pregnancy complication history improve cardiovascular disease risk prediction? Findings from the HUNT study in Norway. European Heart Journal.
- (2018) Genome-wide Study of Atrial Fibrillation Identifies Seven Risk Loci and Highlights Biological Pathways and Regulatory Elements Involved in Cardiac Development. American Journal of Human Genetics. vol. 102 (1).
- (2018) Biobank-driven genomic discovery yields new insight into atrial fibrillation biology. Nature Genetics. vol. 50 (9).
- (2018) Classic-Pattern Dyssynchrony in Adolescents and Adults With a Fontan Circulation. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography. vol. 31 (2).
- (2018) Ventricular mechanics in adolescent and adult patients with a Fontan circulation: Relation to geometry and wall stress. Echocardiography.
- (2018) Relative prognostic value of cardiac troponin I and C-reactive protein in the general population (from the Nord-Trøndelag Health [HUNT] Study). American Journal of Cardiology. vol. 121 (8).
- (2018) Relation between mitral annular plane systolic excursion and global longitudinal strain in normal subjects: The HUNT study. Echocardiography. vol. 35 (5).
- (2017) High-Intensity Interval Training in Patients with Heart Failure with Reduced Ejection Fraction. Circulation. vol. 135 (9).
- (2017) Patient-reported outcomes and associations with pleural effusion in outpatients with heart failure: an observational cohort study. BMJ Open. vol. 7:e013734 (3).
- (2017) Infectious tenosynovitis with bloodstream infection caused by Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae, a case report on an occupational pathogen. BMC Infectious Diseases. vol. 17 (12).
- (2017) The Combined Association of Skeletal Muscle Strength and Physical Activity on Mortality in Older Women: The HUNT2 Study. Mayo Clinic proceedings. vol. 92 (5).
- (2017) Feasibility and Diagnostic Accuracy of Point-of-Care Abdominal Sonography by Pocket-Sized Imaging Devices, Performed by Medical Residents. Journal of ultrasound in medicine. vol. 36 (6).
- (2017) Derivation and evaluation of age-specific multivariate reference regions to aid in identification of abnormal filling patterns: The HUNT and VaMIS Studies. JACC Cardiovascular Imaging. vol. 11 (3).
- (2017) Association of telomere length with myocardial infarction: a prospective cohort from the population based HUNT 2 study. Progress in cardiovascular diseases. vol. 59 (6).