Background and activities
Havard Dalen, MD, PhD, Associate professor at Cardiac Exercise Research Group, Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, Norwegian University of science and Technology, NTNU and Cardiologist at Department for Cardiology, St. Olav’s University Hospital and Levanger Hospital.
Main research interests have been innovative ultrasound diagnostics and the clinical usefulness of new ultrasound modalities. Furthermore, the use of exercise training as medicine in cardiac and pulmonary disease and epidemiologic studies based on the large Health Survey in Nord-Trøndelag (HUNT Study) have been main interests. Dalen has chaired the Norwegian Working Group of Echocardiography, and is currently chairing the largest national cardiac meeting. He is collaborating with several national and international groups.
He is specialist in Cardiology and Internal Medicine from 2008, and has defended his PhD in clinical medicine in 2010. Since 2003 most of the clinical work has been within the field of cardiology. He has been teaching doctors, medical students, nurses and patient organizations.
Dalen is responsible for the scientific quality and use of in-hospital cardiac endpoints from the hospitals in Nord-Trøndelag which is attractive to national and international research groups performing epidemiologic studies based on the HUNT Study.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Light-moderate alcohol consumption and left ventricular function among healthy, middle-aged adults: the HUNT study. BMJ Open.
- (2018) Automatic measurements of mitral annular plane systolic excursion and velocities to detect left ventricular dysfunction. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. vol. 44 (1).
- (2018) Genome-wide Study of Atrial Fibrillation Identifies Seven Risk Loci and Highlights Biological Pathways and Regulatory Elements Involved in Cardiac Development. American Journal of Human Genetics. vol. 102 (1).
- (2018) Classic-Pattern Dyssynchrony in Adolescents and Adults With a Fontan Circulation. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography. vol. 31 (2).
- (2018) Relative prognostic value of cardiac troponin I and C-reactive protein in the general population (from the Nord-Trøndelag Health [HUNT] Study). American Journal of Cardiology. vol. 121 (8).
- (2018) Relation between mitral annular plane systolic excursion and global longitudinal strain in normal subjects: The HUNT study. Echocardiography. vol. 35 (5).
- (2017) High-Intensity Interval Training in Patients with Heart Failure with Reduced Ejection Fraction. Circulation. vol. 135 (9).
- (2017) Patient-reported outcomes and associations with pleural effusion in outpatients with heart failure: an observational cohort study. BMJ Open. vol. 7:e013734 (3).
- (2017) Infectious tenosynovitis with bloodstream infection caused by Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae, a case report on an occupational pathogen. BMC Infectious Diseases. vol. 17 (12).
- (2017) The Combined Association of Skeletal Muscle Strength and Physical Activity on Mortality in Older Women: The HUNT2 Study. Mayo Clinic proceedings. vol. 92 (5).
- (2017) Feasibility and Diagnostic Accuracy of Point-of-Care Abdominal Sonography by Pocket-Sized Imaging Devices, Performed by Medical Residents. Journal of ultrasound in medicine. vol. 36 (6).
- (2017) Derivation and evaluation of age-specific multivariate reference regions to aid in identification of abnormal filling patterns: The HUNT and VaMIS Studies. JACC Cardiovascular Imaging. vol. 11 (3).
- (2017) Association of telomere length with myocardial infarction: a prospective cohort from the population based HUNT 2 study. Progress in cardiovascular diseases. vol. 59 (6).
- (2016) Long-term exercise adherence after high-intensity interval training in cardiac rehabilitation: a randomized study. Physiotherapy Research International. vol. 21 (1).
- (2016) Gender differences in physical activity measured with accelerometer 6 weeks after exercise-based cardiac rehabilitation. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. vol. 48 (5).
- (2016) Utility of Global Longitudinal Strain by Echocardiography to Detect Left Ventricular Dysfunction in Long-Term Adult Survivors of Childhood Lymphoma and Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. American Journal of Cardiology. vol. 118 (3).
- (2016) Right ventricular function in long-term adult survivors of childhood lymphoma and acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. European Heart Journal-Cardiovascular Imaging. vol. 17 (7).
- (2016) Adding point of care ultrasound to assess volume status in heart failure patients in a nurse-led outpatient clinic. A randomised study. Heart. vol. 102 (1).
- (2016) Cardiac function associated with previous, current and repeated depression and anxiety symptoms in a healthy population: the HUNT study. Open heart. vol. 3 (1).
- (2016) Influence of gender and repeated urine sampling on the association of albuminuria with coronary events. Nephron. vol. 133 (1).