Background and activities
Havard Dalen, MD, PhD, Associate professor at Cardiac Exercise Research Group, Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, Norwegian University of science and Technology, NTNU and Cardiologist at Department for Cardiology, St. Olav’s University Hospital and Levanger Hospital.
Main research interests have been innovative ultrasound diagnostics and the clinical usefulness of new ultrasound modalities. Furthermore, the use of exercise training as medicine in cardiac and pulmonary disease and epidemiologic studies based on the large Health Survey in Nord-Trøndelag (HUNT Study) have been main interests. Dalen has chaired the Norwegian Working Group of Echocardiography, and is currently chairing the largest national cardiac meeting. He is collaborating with several national and international groups.
He is specialist in Cardiology and Internal Medicine from 2008, and has defended his PhD in clinical medicine in 2010. Since 2003 most of the clinical work has been within the field of cardiology. He has been teaching doctors, medical students, nurses and patient organizations.
Dalen is responsible for the scientific quality and use of in-hospital cardiac endpoints from the hospitals in Nord-Trøndelag which is attractive to national and international research groups performing epidemiologic studies based on the HUNT Study.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) The use of handheld ultrasound devices: a position statement of the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging (2018 update). European Heart Journal-Cardiovascular Imaging. vol. 20 (3).
- (2019) Asthma, asthma control and risk of acute myocardial infarction: HUNT study. European Journal of Epidemiology (EJE). vol. 34 (10).
- (2019) Normal ranges for automatic measurements of tissue Doppler indices of mitral annular motion by echocardiography. Data from the HUNT3 Study. Echocardiography. vol. 36 (9).
- (2019) Association of Conventional Cardiovascular Risk Factors with Cardiovascular Disease after Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy: Analysis of the Nord-Tr?ndelag Health Study. JAMA cardiology. vol. 4 (7).
- (2019) Intra‐arterial blood pressure traits during and after heavy resistance exercise in healthy males. Translational Sports Medicine (TSM). vol. 2.
- (2019) Baseline and Exercise Predictors of VO2peak in Systolic Heart Failure Patients: Results from SMARTEX-HF. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.
- (2019) Peak oxygen uptake and incident coronary heart disease in a healthy population: the HUNT Fitness Study. European Heart Journal. vol. 40 (20).
- (2019) Temporal changes in cardiac troponin i are associated with risk of cardiovascular events in the general population: The Nord-Trøndelag health study. Clinical Chemistry. vol. 65 (7).
- (2019) Cardiorespiratory Fitness and the Risk of First Acute Myocardial Infarction: The HUNT Study. Journal of the American Heart Association.
- (2019) Left ventricular global strains by linear measurements in three dimensions: interrelations and relations to age, gender and body size in the HUNT Study. Open heart. vol. 6 (2).
- (2019) Systolic dysfunction in systemic sclerosis: Prevalence and prognostic implications. ACR Open Rheumatology. vol. 1 (4).
- (2018) Light-moderate alcohol consumption and left ventricular function among healthy, middle-aged adults: The HUNT study. BMJ Open. vol. 8.
- (2018) Automatic measurements of mitral annular plane systolic excursion and velocities to detect left ventricular dysfunction. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. vol. 44 (1).
- (2018) Does pregnancy complication history improve cardiovascular disease risk prediction? Findings from the HUNT study in Norway. European Heart Journal. vol. 40 (14).
- (2018) Genome-wide Study of Atrial Fibrillation Identifies Seven Risk Loci and Highlights Biological Pathways and Regulatory Elements Involved in Cardiac Development. American Journal of Human Genetics. vol. 102 (1).
- (2018) Biobank-driven genomic discovery yields new insight into atrial fibrillation biology. Nature Genetics. vol. 50 (9).
- (2018) Classic-Pattern Dyssynchrony in Adolescents and Adults With a Fontan Circulation. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography. vol. 31 (2).
- (2018) Ventricular mechanics in adolescent and adult patients with a Fontan circulation: Relation to geometry and wall stress. Echocardiography.
- (2018) Relative prognostic value of cardiac troponin I and C-reactive protein in the general population (from the Nord-Trøndelag Health [HUNT] Study). American Journal of Cardiology. vol. 121 (8).
- (2018) Relation between mitral annular plane systolic excursion and global longitudinal strain in normal subjects: The HUNT study. Echocardiography. vol. 35 (5).