Background and activities
Havard Dalen, MD, PhD, Associate professor at Cardiac Exercise Research Group, Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, Norwegian University of science and Technology, NTNU and Cardiologist at Department for Cardiology, St. Olav’s University Hospital and Levanger Hospital.
Main research interests have been innovative ultrasound diagnostics and the clinical usefulness of new ultrasound modalities. Furthermore, the use of exercise training as medicine in cardiac and pulmonary disease and epidemiologic studies based on the large Health Survey in Nord-Trøndelag (HUNT Study) have been main interests. Dalen has chaired the Norwegian Working Group of Echocardiography, and is currently chairing the largest national cardiac meeting. He is collaborating with several national and international groups.
He is specialist in Cardiology and Internal Medicine from 2008, and has defended his PhD in clinical medicine in 2010. Since 2003 most of the clinical work has been within the field of cardiology. He has been teaching doctors, medical students, nurses and patient organizations.
Dalen is responsible for the scientific quality and use of in-hospital cardiac endpoints from the hospitals in Nord-Trøndelag which is attractive to national and international research groups performing epidemiologic studies based on the HUNT Study.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Health Literacy and Risk Factors for Coronary Artery Disease (From the CONCARD<sup>PCI</sup> Study). American Journal of Cardiology.
- (2022) Complete embolization of a mechanical aortic valve during trail running - a case report with a lucky ending. European Heart Journal - Case Reports. vol. 6 (3).
- (2022) Rethinking Left Atrial Enlargement: Identifying Individuals at Risk by Appropriate Scaling. JACC Cardiovascular Imaging. vol. 15 (6).
- (2022) Ten-Year Cardiovascular Disease Risk Trajectories by Obstetric History: A Longitudinal Study in the Norwegian HUNT Study. Journal of the American Heart Association (JAHA). vol. 11 (2).
- (2022) Cardiac Dysfunction and Arrhythmias 3 Months After Hospitalization for COVID-19. Journal of the American Heart Association (JAHA). vol. 11 (3).
- (2022) Cardiorenal syndrome and the association with fitness: Data from a telerehabilitation randomized clinical trial. ESC Heart Failure. vol. 9 (4).
- (2022) Reliability and agreement of point-of-care carotid artery examinations by experts using hand-held ultrasound devices in patients with ischaemic stroke or transitory ischaemic attack. Open heart. vol. 9 (1).
- (2022) No Effect of Calanus Oil on Maximal Oxygen Uptake in Healthy Participants: A Randomized Controlled Study. International Journal of Sport Nutrition & Exercise Metabolism.
- (2021) Bone mineral density and risk of cardiovascular disease in men and women: the HUNT study. European Journal of Epidemiology (EJE).
- (2021) Høysensitiv troponin I-måling ved koronarsuspekte brystsmerter i akuttmottak. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. vol. 141 (12).
- (2021) Corynebacterium freneyi as a cause of early prosthetic valve endocarditis. BMJ Case Reports. vol. 14:e245152 (11).
- (2021) The role of cardiovascular risk factors in maternal cardiovascular disease according to offspring birth characteristics in the HUNT study. Scientific Reports. vol. 11 (22981).
- (2021) Short-term outcome after open-heart surgery for severe chronic rheumatic heart disease in a low-income country, with comparison with an historical control group: An observational study. Open heart. vol. 8 (2).
- (2021) Exercise training and high-sensitivity cardiac troponin T in patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction. ESC Heart Failure. vol. 8 (3).
- (2021) Circulating microRNAs May Serve as Biomarkers for Hypertensive Emergency End-Organ Injuries and Address Underlying Pathways in an Animal Model. Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine. vol. 7 (431).
- (2021) Effect of 5 years of exercise training on the cardiovascular risk profile of older adults: the Generation 100 randomized trial. European Heart Journal.
- (2021) Variability of echocardiographic measures of left ventricular diastolic function. The HUNT study. Echocardiography. vol. 38 (6).
- (2021) Feasibility and clinical impact of point-of-care carotid artery examinations by experts using hand-held ultrasound devices in patients with ischemic stroke or transitory ischemic attack. Journal of Stroke & Cerebrovascular Diseases. vol. 30:106086 (12).
- (2021) Real-time temporal coherent left ventricle segmentation using convolutional LSTMs. Proceedings - IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium.
- (2020) Psychometric properties of the norwegian version of the electronic health literacy scale (eheals) among patients after percutaneous coronary intervention: Cross-sectional validation study. Journal of Medical Internet Research. vol. 22 (7).