Background and activities
Havard Dalen, MD, PhD, Associate professor at Cardiac Exercise Research Group, Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, Norwegian University of science and Technology, NTNU and Cardiologist at Department for Cardiology, St. Olav’s University Hospital and Levanger Hospital.
Main research interests have been innovative ultrasound diagnostics and the clinical usefulness of new ultrasound modalities. Furthermore, the use of exercise training as medicine in cardiac and pulmonary disease and epidemiologic studies based on the large Health Survey in Nord-Trøndelag (HUNT Study) have been main interests. Dalen has chaired the Norwegian Working Group of Echocardiography, and is currently chairing the largest national cardiac meeting. He is collaborating with several national and international groups.
He is specialist in Cardiology and Internal Medicine from 2008, and has defended his PhD in clinical medicine in 2010. Since 2003 most of the clinical work has been within the field of cardiology. He has been teaching doctors, medical students, nurses and patient organizations.
Dalen is responsible for the scientific quality and use of in-hospital cardiac endpoints from the hospitals in Nord-Trøndelag which is attractive to national and international research groups performing epidemiologic studies based on the HUNT Study.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Bone mineral density and risk of cardiovascular disease in men and women: the HUNT study. European Journal of Epidemiology (EJE).
- (2021) Høysensitiv troponin I-måling ved koronarsuspekte brystsmerter i akuttmottak. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. vol. 141 (12).
- (2021) Short-term outcome after open-heart surgery for severe chronic rheumatic heart disease in a low-income country, with comparison with an historical control group: An observational study. Open heart. vol. 8 (2).
- (2021) Exercise training and high-sensitivity cardiac troponin T in patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction. ESC Heart Failure. vol. 8 (3).
- (2021) Feasibility and clinical impact of point-of-care carotid artery examinations by experts using hand-held ultrasound devices in patients with ischemic stroke or transitory ischemic attack. Journal of Stroke & Cerebrovascular Diseases. vol. 30:106086 (12).
- (2020) Psychometric properties of the norwegian version of the electronic health literacy scale (eheals) among patients after percutaneous coronary intervention: Cross-sectional validation study. Journal of Medical Internet Research. vol. 22 (7).
- (2020) Acute perimyocarditis with cardiac tamponade in COVID-19 infection without respiratory disease. BMJ Case Reports. vol. 13 (8).
- (2020) Automatic quantification of left ventricular function by medical students using ultrasound. BMC Medical Imaging. vol. 20 (1).
- (2020) Feasibility and accuracy of tele-echocardiography, with examinations by nurses and interpretation by an expert via telemedicine, in an outpatient heart failure clinic. Journal of ultrasound in medicine. vol. 39 (12).
- (2020) Age-related change in peak oxygen uptake and change of cardiovascular risk factors. The HUNT Study. Progress in cardiovascular diseases. vol. 63 (6).
- (2020) Left Atrial Volume, Cardiorespiratory Fitness, and Diastolic Function in Healthy Individuals: The HUNT Study, Norway. Journal of the American Heart Association (JAHA). vol. 9 (3).
- (2020) Left ventricular diastolic function: Effects of high-intensity exercise after acute myocardial infarction. Echocardiography. vol. 37 (6).
- (2020) Feasibility and reliability of automatic quantitative analyses of mitral annular plane systolic excursion by handheld ultrasound devices. Journal of ultrasound in medicine.
- (2020) How reproducible is the diagnosis of borderline rheumatic heart disease?. International Journal of Cardiology.
- (2020) Translation of Simultaneous Vessel Wall Motion and Vectorial Blood Flow Imaging in Healthy and Diseased Carotids to the Clinic: A pilot study. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control.
- (2020) Genetic risk score associations for myocardial infarction are comparable in persons with and without rheumatoid arthritis: the population-based HUNT study. Scientific Reports. vol. 10 (1).
- (2020) Effect of exercise training for five years on all cause mortality in older adults-The Generation 100 study: Randomised controlled trial. The BMJ. vol. 371.
- (2020) Left ventricular longitudinal shortening: relation to stroke volume and ejection fraction in ageing, blood pressure, body size and gender in the HUNT3 study. Open heart. vol. 7 (2).
- (2020) Over all variability of mitral annular plane peak systolic velocity and peak global longitudinal strain rate in relation to age, body size, and sex: The HUNT Study. Echocardiography. vol. 37 (4).
- (2019) Asthma, asthma control and risk of acute myocardial infarction: HUNT study. European Journal of Epidemiology (EJE). vol. 34 (10).