Background and activities
Director of the Sleep and Chronobiology Research group at NTNU Department of mental health / St. Olavs University Hospital Division of mental health care.
My main research focus is on clinical sleep medicine and inteventions that act on the circadian system in mental disorders.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Chronobiologically informed inpatient milieu in psychiatric institutions. The Lancet Psychiatry. vol. 7 (12).
- (2020) Validation of insomnia questionnaires in the general population: The Nord-Trøndelag Health Study (HUNT). Journal of Sleep Research.
- (2020) The Effect of Reducing Insomnia Severity on Work- and Activity-Related Impairment. Behavioral Sleep Medicine.
- (2020) Mid-Pregnancy Insomnia and its Association with Perinatal Depressive Symptoms: A Prospective Cohort Study. Behavioral Sleep Medicine.
- (2020) Mid-pregnancy insomnia is associated with concurrent and postpartum maternal anxiety and obsessive-compulsive symptoms: A prospective cohort study. Journal of Affective Disorders. vol. 266.
- (2020) The prevalence and stability of sleep-wake disturbance and fatigue throughout the first year after mild traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neurotrauma. vol. 37 (23).
- (2020) Mild to moderate partial sleep deprivation is associated with increased impulsivity and decreased positive affect in young adults. Sleep. vol. 43 (10).
- (2020) Effects of digital cognitive behavioural therapy for insomnia on insomnia severity: a large-scale randomised controlled trial. The Lancet Digital Health. vol. 2 (8).
- (2020) The evening light environment in hospitals can be designed to produce less disruptive effects on the circadian system and improve sleep. Sleep.
- (2019) The chronotherapeutic treatment of bipolar disorders: A systematic review and practice recommendations from the ISBD task force on chronotherapy and chronobiology. Bipolar Disorders. vol. 21 (8).
- (2019) Det nye sykehusbygget på Østmarka integrerer behandling, innovasjon og søvnforskning. SØVN. vol. 11 (1).
- (2019) Biological and clinical insights from genetics of insomnia symptoms. Nature Genetics. vol. 51 (3).
- (2019) The predictive properties of violence risk instruments may increase by adding items assessing sleep. Frontiers in Psychiatry. vol. 10:323 (MAY).
- (2019) Short and long-term effects of unguided internet-based cognitive behavioral therapy for chronic insomnia in morning and evening persons: a post-hoc analysis. Chronobiology International. vol. 36 (10).
- (2019) Association studies of up to 1.2 million individuals yield new insights into the genetic etiology of tobacco and alcohol use. Nature Genetics. vol. 51 (2).
- (2019) Can consumer grade activity devices replace research grade actiwatches in youth mental health settings?. Sleep and Biological Rhythms. vol. 17 (2).
- (2019) A pragmatic effectiveness randomized controlled trial of the duration of psychiatric hospitalization in a trans- diagnostic sample of patients with acute mental illness admitted to a ward with either blue-depleted evening lighting or normal lighting conditions. Trials. vol. 20:472.
- (2019) Long-Term Effects of an Unguided Online Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Chronic Insomnia. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine (JCSM). vol. 15 (1).
- (2018) A randomized noninferiority trial comparing Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I) delivered by a therapist or via a fully automated online treatment program. Sleep.
- (2018) Overcoming insomnia: Protocol for a large-scale randomised controlled trial of online cognitive behaviour therapy for insomnia compared with online patient education about sleep. BMJ Open. vol. 8:e25152 (8).
- (2018) Sleep at night and association to aggressive behaviour; Patients in a psychiatric intensive care unit. Psychiatry Research. vol. 263.
- (2018) Sleep structure and awakening threshold in delayed sleep-wake phase disorder patients compared to healthy sleepers. Sleep Medicine. vol. 46.
- (2018) Cognitive performance in DSWPD patients upon awakening from habitual sleep compared with forced conventional sleep. Journal of Sleep Research.
- (2018) The relationship between improvement in insomnia severity and long-term outcomes in the treatment of chronic fatigue. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 9:1764.
- (2017) Processes in acceptance and commitment therapy and the rehabilitation of chronic fatigue. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology. vol. 58 (3).
- (2016) The long-term outcomes of an effectiveness trial of group versus individual psychoeducation for bipolar disorders. Journal of Affective Disorders. vol. 202.
- (2016) Mood and motor activity in euthymic bipolar disorder with sleep disturbance. Journal of Affective Disorders. vol. 202.
- (2016) Sleep patterns as a predictor for length of stay in a psychiatric intensive care unit. Psychiatry Research. vol. 237.
- (2015) The role of insomnia in the treatment of chronic fatigue. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. vol. 78 (5).
- (2014) Difficult morning awakening from rapid eye movement sleep and impaired cognitive function in delayed sleep phase disorder patients. Sleep Medicine. vol. 15 (10).
- (2014) Cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia in euthymic bipolar disorder: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. vol. 15 (24).
- (2012) Impact of sleep disturbance on patients in treatment for mental disorders. BMC Psychiatry. vol. 12 (179).
- (2011) Differences between patients’ and clinicians’ report of sleep disturbance: a field study in mental health care in Norway. BMC Psychiatry. vol. 11.
- (2010) Psychometric properties and the predictive validity of the Insomnia Daytime Worry Scale: A pilot study. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. vol. 39 (2).
- (2010) The relationship between insight gained during therapy and long-term outcome in short-term dynamic psychotherapy and cognitive therapy for cluster C personality disorders. Psychotherapy Research. vol. 20 (5).
- (2007) Søvndeprivasjon som antidepressiv behandling. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. vol. 127 (10).